Thread: Cop spot Light on boat

Default Cop spot Light on boat

I am thinking of installing some kind of lighting on my jet boat. Has anyone seen or installed cop style spot lights through the windshield frame before? I thought this might kill two birds with one stone, driving lights and spot light for each side and they can turn in out of the way while not in use.

Default roof

It's better to mount that style spotlight through your roof. If it's in front of your eyes, there's a good chance you might get flashed and lose your night vision. On the roof, you have a little protection.

I tried a hand held unit that plugged in to the cigarette lighter and that was a royal pain in the backside. I ended up never bringing it or using it. Installing a permanent unit would be the way to go.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I have a canvas top so the roof in not an option.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

pretty tough to get any kind of lighting to work so you can run on step in a jetboat. ive used handhelds and mounted driving lights and you are just guessing when its dark. theres no white boundry lines or yellow center lines on the river. its best to mount them on the top or at the bow but i wouldnt spend a terrible amount on them cause you just wont get what you are pursuing.

Default Led lights?

LOOK AT XMITTER LIGHTS THEY HAVE A 2X2 SINGLE LED LIGHT ....NOT CHEAP, ABOUT $120 EACH, THEY CAN BE SET TOGETHER, 800 LUMENS EACH , COULD BE MOUNTED ON BOW A COUPLE OF THESE WOULD LIGHT THINGS UP WELL, BUT AS SAID PROBABLY STILL WON'T DO WHAT YOU ARE HOPING THEY WILL. ( I BELIEVE 170 LIGHT FORCE ARE 375 LUMENS)
    ONE SITE- http://www.visionxoffroad.com/led/s1100/ WIDE VARIETY OF DIFFERENT LIGHTS, I HAVE RECENTLY BOUGHT A LIGHT BAR FOR MY TRUCK...WOW. I WILL BE GETTING LED DECK LIGHT AS WELL, FOR MY OCEAN BOAT.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Like the others said, i had big fancy ones on my boat when i bought it,I took them off ,I use a hand held spot cig, lighter type, It works the best for me.You can move around front to back side to side for full vision,Solid mount you are limited,They don,t cost near as much,Unless you mount them on the very bow of boat you can,t see past them because reflection off the boat. Than they will bent or broken off when pull up to a bank.+1 to what akriverrat said,about trying to use them for running, If your in the dark that bad and try run a river I would have to say that you are asking for it..

I have some mounted on top and really like them for what I need them for. I have ran all night down the Yukon with them using the kicker motor - 10 MPH - Running using the GPS and sonar for navigation and using the lights for spotting floating hazards and watching the shore - They definetly have limitations. I really enjoy soptligting the critters at night - Pretty amazing what moves around out there when we are usually sleeping. Being able to sit anywhere on the boat and operate them via remote control is a big help as well.

Default Rambling Raven...

Hey that boat of yours sure looks like its set up very well for long trips. Good location on the lights to. Sure wouldn't mind a top like that on mine if it was managable.

I put spot lights on my Wooly and found it easier to return to camp in the dark during moose season. It is easier to travel with fixed lights than trying to peer through the darkness holding a 1 million + flashlight while navigating. Besides, it is one more cool thing to add to your boat