Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Bear Size??

Default Black Bear Size??

How are you measuring your black bears?

The reason why I ask is I'm a avid bear hunter from the PWS area. I keep logs of all the bears that I see each year for example, 2008 I spotted 76 bears and in 2007 spotted 58 in two weeks and I truly can say that I have only seen one Black bear that may have gone7 foot.

We have taken a total of 11 bears in 4 years, only two in the 6ft+ and most in the mid to upper 5 ft. I am very close to a local taxidermist that seals close to 50 bears a year. I once asked him how many true 7ft bears has he sealed. In 10 years he has only sealed 2 bears over 7ft.

Now I know I will take some heat for this but I read thread after thread of everyone shooting 7 footers and I find it somewhat hard to believe. I have seen pic's of these so called 7 footers and it leaves me wondering, "how are you measuring them?"

I measure mine from a point exactly seven feet away from the tip of their nose. Then, I measure back up to the tip of the nose.

Would that not make it a 14 foot bear? I think I need to get a new tape measure designed for bear.

Quote Originally Posted by yukonjoe View Post
    Would that not make it a 14 foot bear? I think I need to get a new tape measure designed for bear.
    Well, I meant to say that I determine what point somewhere in the general vicinity of the tail is seven feet from the nose, and then begin the measuring process from there back to the nose. However, maybe I ought to double it as you suggest.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i use the canadian tape measure...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

FYI, My tape was a special order-specifically for bear, made out of extremely plyable rubber with the number stamped in, been getting some monster bears lately with it...

some prefer the only accurate measure is to do this ..only on a bigger scale..lol while the bear licks the honey off there cheeks..

or you could of course measure from the soft and fuzzy toes all the way up to the cute like a button nose and then multiply that by 2

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default 7 footers are possible in S SE

Quite a few 7 footers are taken ever season on Prince of Wales island and in S SE Alaska.

And usually every year or two some one takes an honest 8 footer off the Island.

After salting hide shrink about 10% ... after tanning a taxidermist usually gets some of that back during rugging.

This one was a little over 7 ...

That one actually looks kind of happy for being dead.

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    Quite a few 7 footers are taken ever season on Prince of Wales island and in S SE Alaska.

And usually every year or two some one takes an honest 8 footer off the Island.

After salting hide shrink about 10% ... after tanning a taxidermist usually gets some of that back during rugging.

This one was a little over 7 ...

Default PWS Bear 7+'

I measure from the tip of his nose to the tail and from paw to paw and divide by two.
    However I have seen more than one bear given the "stretch test" on the measuring and then adding a couple inches to each measurement. I have been hunting the past six years out of Valdez and saw several bears over 6 feet and only two over seven. Nothing close to 8 feet but I think they exist.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Me I slip the nose over a nail & STRETCH it by pullling its tail as hard as I can. I keep tension on it while my wife uses the tape. Then I stretch it as far as I can from front paw-paw. I add that up & divide by 2. If I do not like the results I ALWAYS round up to make it sound better. This is how I shoot my 6'+ blackie every year!

Kidding! I just lay the hide out loose & then take the above measure ments. But I understand what you are saying. I am sure the above happens more than you think. As for someone on here saying they do that, good luck.

I hear what everyone is saying and think it's funny because I've seen it so many times. I found the carcass of a brown bear once near Dillingham and asked the Bio how big they said the bear was. I laughed out loud when he told me. He said he thought so because it had like a 23" skull or something. I measuring mine exactly like Rod123, NOT stretching between measurements. I've killed a 6'9" and 7' blackie on POW, now I admit, my 7 footer might have been a 6'12". But I've got them in my house if anyone wants to see them. The year I shot my 6'9" we saw one much larger that my Bro in law missed. I would estimate that it was at least a 7 1/2 footer. Actually my 7 footer is at the taxidermist and will be back next fall I hope. I've also killed a 8'6" and 9'5" (which I do call a 9 1/2 footer, sorry) brown bear. I would post some pix, but I've posted some before and it won't let there be the same pic on more than one post at a time. Is there a way around that? You can sure tell that Muskeg's bear, and the one in Ret25yo bottom pic are huge though.

Quote Originally Posted by goaty View Post
    I would post some pix, but I've posted some before and it won't let there be the same pic on more than one post at a time. Is there a way around that? You can sure tell that Muskeg's bear, and the one in Ret25yo bottom pic are huge though.
    If you post it via a photobucket account, it can be posted multiple times. Here is a link on how to do it: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=20830
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default measuring bears

the worse case is when a guy I made the mistake of hunting with shot a bear I had to call F&G on (wasn't with him at the time, and wanted to kick his butt for almost ending our hunt). I picked the bear up with one hand and carried him out.

Well long story short he told me the taxidermist measured him at 4.5', smallest big bear I've ever seen in my life (if he squared out at 3' I would have been extremely surprised). So I always am a little leary of how people measure bears.

I've always heard the same as some of the posts here already, paw to paw + nose to tail /2 (without stretching bear out). Measured this way I've only seen 2 bears that went better than 7' and both were shot by the same guy in a veryyy remote area. And my biggest so far went 6.5'.

and from personal experience the old rule of measuring tracks side to side and adding 1 will get you close to the bear's size. Using this measurment I've only seen two bears that I thought might go close or over 8' and never got close enough to take a shot (both down in SE Alaska on the coast).

but all that being said, measuring this way is exactly why they don't use hide measurements to establish records...
    b

Default top gun

Measured this guy from nose to base of tail and from foot to foot and squared it and came up with a little shy of 7', pretty good for a valley bear
    Last edited by ironartist; 01-21-2010 at 12:04.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Nice bear. I think it is some what subjective on squaring a bear. I am looking @ the photo and comparing the rifle & happy hunter to it & I would not say that that bear would go over 6.2'--6.4' if I guessed.

Cool thing about black bears to me is they are a lot like humans. You have some short fat ones, linky ones, & then just some big heavy solid boars. Someone posted some pics of 4-7 blackies in on his bait @ once. You really can start seeing those differences when you have a bunch come in on your bait.

Default PWS 7 footer

Here's your elusive PWS 7 footer...the guy sealing it wanted to know where I got the grizzly skull!!!
    J

I measure the length of the pad and add an inch.Just the way I've been told by Biologist's and Taxidermist.

Default Change file name

If you change the file name of your picture, you can upload it more than once on this site.

Default pix

Thanks for the pic help. The top one squared at 7'. I don't really think that it looks like it in the pic, but it did. It had a 21 1/2" skull as measured and sealed by the trooper in Ketchican. The 2nd one was 6'9" with a 19 something skull.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast