Thread: Powder recomendations for .357 and .454

Default Powder recomendations for .357 and .454

any recomendations on what common powder will work with both 357 and 454 loads? i have a little of the h-110 but it seems to be hard to locate right now along with many others. i know that there are probably other powers that will work better and was hoping someone would let me in on there load recomendations. i mostly like to plink and shoot more .38 and .45 colt and use unique for both of them loads. it is nice to use one powder for a couple loads to keep it simple. i would like to load a little more powerful load with the 45 colt and saw someone using the h110 for that also, but any other help would be great! thanks in advance.

The powder thatís best for one wonít be so great for the other so this is hard. H110 is a good hot load but I find Lil-Gun as hot but cleaner shooting, you can use it in all 4 rounds for hot loads I think.

2400 may be a good compromise to look at and may be your best bet.

Unique and Bulseye will do well in all but the 454, they will make good cheap light 454 loads but not much power. These powders will go a very long way so make good plinking loads for cheap.

Thatís all I can think of off the top of my head but there are others.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Maybe you already know, but just in case, try looking for Winchester 296 as well ...it's the same product as H110, exactly. Same stuff. If you can't find one, try looking for the other. Otherwise, for the hot loads I think the other alternative is Lil'Gun. There are several choices for lighter loads available but I get the impression that you're talking about hot field loads here rather than practice rounds.

Brian

Ditto to tananaBrian's suggestion: 296 is also my favorite. I've used 296 almost exclusively in 357, 44 mag, and 454...darn good powder...burns really clean, and meters easily and evenly. At various times, I've also used 4227, Reloader 9, and Lil-Gun. The other powders mentioned (H110 and 2400) are also very good. Considering the current scarcity of powder, I'd go with any of the above...take whatever you can find...they all work fairly well. In a pinch, even Blue Dot shotshell powder will do, but burns a little too fast for best performance IMO. Many of the various 12ga and 20ga shotgun powders seem to also work well for plinker loads in 357, 44mag, and 454. (to include standard loads for 45 Colt) I've been using 231 in standard 45 Colt loads with good results. (800fps +/-)

Marshall/Ak

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall/Ak View Post
    At various times, I've also used 4227, Reloader 9, and Lil-Gun.
    You actually mean AA#9, right?

I also have a strong preference for 296/H110, but I've also used Lil-Gun, 2400 and 4227. For my light plinkers in any revolver caliber I've found nothing better than 231. I've also used Unique and Clays with good results though. For midrange loads you can't do better than Power Pistol though.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    You actually mean AA#9, right?

I also have a strong preference for 296/H110, but I've also used Lil-Gun, 2400 and 4227. For my light plinkers in any revolver caliber I've found nothing better than 231. I've also used Unique and Clays with good results though. For midrange loads you can't do better than Power Pistol though.

Mike
    Yep...yer right Mike, it is AA#9. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Also, since my last post, I have read some warnings about Blue Dot in certain 357 loads with 125gr bullets, so I'm withdrawing my recommendation for it. (It may be still good, but with the manufacture warning about it, I think it might be wise to just go with the other powders instead) I never had a problem with it, but then I never loaded light bullets with it in my 357...

Marshall/Ak

Default favorite powders

I really like LilGun for the .454 with bullets of 260 grain and heavier ,I was using blue dot for lighter weights in the .454 bot recently tried some AA#9 with promising results . In .357 I have been using HS6 with 125 grain bullets both jacketed and lead (thats the only weight I load in .357 )