Thread: T.C. Hawkins .50 Cal Starting loads

Default T.C. Hawkins .50 Cal Starting loads

I am the proud owner of a T.C. Hawkins style barrel in 50 cal. I have fired a few rounds through a friends smokepole, but not my own. I am looking for suggestions on powder/projectile combinations to get this barrel shooting. Anyone out there have any experience with this barrel? I belive it is a 1-48 twist.
    Pick A Spot

Try 50 grains of 3f black or P Pyrodex behind a patched round ball. A .490 ball and lubed .015 patch is probably about right. This load is a good "target" and small game load, but a little light for deer. For deer look to about 80 grains of either powder.

New barrels need to be shot a while or "shot it"- usually 100 to 200 rounds- to reach their full accuracy potential. The 50 grain charge is great fun to shoot, so you'll go through that process pretty quickly.

Default Hawkin

I have that same muzzleloader hanging over a window in my cabin right now.
    My father gave it to me when I was 10 years old, and I killed my first deer with it the following season. I am very found of it and maybe I'll have to bring it down someday for a hunt again.

I love the idea of real black powder hunting the way it was meant to me, ball and patch and iron sights.
    Marc Theiler

Thumbs up Load

Used one for years back in the 70's..........

90 gr FF Select or 777 2F with TC 370gr Maxi ball lubed

Suggest 2F 777 Powder

CCI Mag Primer
    Alaska

Thumbs up Powder weight

The 90gr of 777 2F is by volume not by weight using a black powder measure.
    Alaska