Thread: My new boat; fastest in PWS, PERIOD.

Default My new boat; fastest in PWS, PERIOD.

Wanna race for titles? I'll have this in PWS in 6 months.... or as soon as the narco guys have it up for auction. Apparently it was not used just for fishing. (Maybe this was posted before? Seems familiar....)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yup, it's been posted before, but still pretty cool! WOT burning 30 gallons per hour+/- per motor...WOW! You could probably make it to Cordova in less than two hours.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Charterboat Operator

Default cordova

hmmmm; 8 motors x 30 GPH x 2 HRS =480 gallons each way @ $4.5/gal
    $4320 round trip. x 400 people x _-_ oz per person, ,,,,,

nope cant see it making any money, but it sure would be fun!

Default It fwould make a great video....

watching that thing hit a rock with 2000 hp going full throttle!
    Last edited by Cap'n Ron; 04-03-2009 at 16:03. Reason: fcan't get the f off of fwould! Twitchy old fingers!!

Default I think I saw this

about two years ago on the net, it was a drug running boat ... not in Alaska

This fall I am going to reengine my Osprey 26 to an 8.1, 375 hp gas, should do about 50 at wot ... not that I would want to waste all that gas, but I will get a nice lazy cruise at about 30 mph with fuel burn about the same as the 5.7 280 hp. After break-in I will have to at least once with a flat sea open it up all the way to be sure I have the correct pitch on the two props.

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    After break-in I will have to at least once with a flat sea open it up all the way to be sure I have the correct pitch on the two props.
    I agree. I would hate to find out you are over propped and are lugging that new engine.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

This fall I am going to reengine my Osprey 26 to an 8.1, 375 hp gas, should do about 50 at wot ... not that I would want to waste all that gas, but I will get a nice lazy cruise at about 30 mph with fuel burn about the same as the 5.7 280 hp. After break-in I will have to at least once with a flat sea open it up all the way to be sure I have the correct pitch on the two props.
    FWIW, I used to own a 26' Osprey LC with a 7.4 litre VP gas engine that put out a little over 400 hp. As I recall, my boat topped out somewhere in the high 30's.

You will like that motor in your Osprey but doubt you will see 50. Have the same motor in our 24 Sea Sport and we burn about 2-2.3 gallons per mile running mid to high 20's (mph) at 2,800-3,000 rpm.
    Tennessee

Default I Like Economy better than Speed in an Ocean Boat

My 26' Olympic gets between 1.8-2.1 miles per gallon when running an average load at a cruise speed between 22-27 knots. Top speed is about 31 knots. It is a carbureted 280 HP 5.7L Mercruiser with an Alpha 1 outdrive. It is not real common to be in conditions where I want much more speed, and that isn't like me in general. I don't like the limited fuel range, and I sure didn't like the $450 fill-up for a weekend of playing on the ocean at last summer's prices (80 gallon tank, 30 gallons in reserve drums).

It is also annoying to have the two 15 gallon reserve drums in the way on the deck.

Randy, I am thinking that your 24' Sea Sport is getting 2 plus miles per gallon, not the other way around. I'll bet it is quick to get on-step! I have always liked the look of the Sea Sport boats, and from what I have read, they are as good as they look.

I am getting anxious to go out for some fishing and bear hunting!!

Jim

You are correct. I meant to say I average 2-2.3 mpg. Thanks for picking that error up. Alost agree with your comments about not wanting more speed. It is a rare day where we want to go faster than 30 mph simply due to the fuel costs. It is even a rare day where the ocean is calm enough to allow it.
    The boat is super easy to get on step. Never timed it but am thinking 5-8 seconds with full fuel tanks and 3 adults on board.
    Also apoligize as I didnt mean to hijack the thread and take it into another direction.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsunfun View Post
    My 26' Olympic gets between 1.8-2.1 miles per gallon when running an average load at a cruise speed between 22-27 knots. Top speed is about 31 knots. It is a carbureted 280 HP 5.7L Mercruiser with an Alpha 1 outdrive. It is not real common to be in conditions where I want much more speed, and that isn't like me in general. I don't like the limited fuel range, and I sure didn't like the $450 fill-up for a weekend of playing on the ocean at last summer's prices (80 gallon tank, 30 gallons in reserve drums).

It is also annoying to have the two 15 gallon reserve drums in the way on the deck.

Randy, I am thinking that your 24' Sea Sport is getting 2 plus miles per gallon, not the other way around. I'll bet it is quick to get on-step! I have always liked the look of the Sea Sport boats, and from what I have read, they are as good as they look.

I am getting anxious to go out for some fishing and bear hunting!!

Jim
    Midnight,
    What kind of fuel economy does your olimpic get when your pickup tube in the fuel tank is plugged and the gears are broken in your kicker?

Sorry for the trick question.

Default Infinitely Great Economy, Infinitely Poor Performance

Snagger--Great to hear from you! I hope all is well with you and your family. Are you still running the Puker out there in the salt?

The Olympic has a new larger kicker, just for it, and a shiny clean fuel tank, with the pickup relocated back to where it belongs. So, I probably am not going to be tempting the Fates as much this summer.

Jim

Default Osprey repower

Thanks for the info on the 8.1. Right now with the 5.7 280 hp at 3600 rpm I am seeing 27kts or 31 mph. she tops out at 37kts or 42mph at about 4400 rpm. I was thinking that with 25% more hoursepower withthe right set of SS props for the Volvo DPS drives I might see an extra 8 mph? I think the Duoprop drive puts more engine power in the water compared to a single prop out drive.

In less than 200 hours I have had a lot of maintenance issues with the 5.7, including a valve job, it has been an expensive engine. We do run to Montague from Seward a lot and the 2&1/2 to 3 hr runs may not agree with the smaller engine. I do not run the engine wot usually about 3400 rpm, I thought that would be a reasonable cruse but this engine does not appear to like it.

Thanks again for the thoughts.