Thread: Advice on where to fish while on a cruise.

Question Advice on where to fish while on a cruise.

Going on a cruise and we would like to go ocean fishing in Alaska. 3-5 of us are going to be able to fish in one of the below ports for a day. Please tell me your recommendations for the port to fish at, the Captain to fish with and the species to fish for at this time of year.

Anchorage on 05/18/2009
    Juneau on 05/21/2009
    Skagway on 05/22/2009
    Ketchikan on 05/24/2009

We also would like to fish for a day in the Vancouver area on 05/27/2009 if you have any ideas to pass along.

If anyone would like information on Costa Rica or Miami I can supply some from experience.

Default Ketchikan fishing!

I sent you a private message, so check it out.

Talk to CanCanCase here on the forums. He's a captain out of Juneau and is a great guy from everything I know about him. If it were my money and one-time experience, I'd go with Case.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Talk to CanCanCase here on the forums. He's a captain out of Juneau and is a great guy from everything I know about him. If it were my money and one-time experience, I'd go with Case.
    I believe Case is not going to charter this year.
    I think he's getting fed up with the fisheries mgmt. in SE. Either that or he just needs a break from the grind of chartering everyday for months.
    When we were PM'ing back and forth earlier in the winter he was saying that he will spend the summer in Oregon visiting family and fishing for fun not profit.
    I'm sure he can point you in the right directon in Juneau though.

Anchorage on 05/18/2009
    Juneau on 05/21/2009
    Skagway on 05/22/2009
    Ketchikan on 05/24/2009

There isn't really any ocean fishing here in Anchorage. Kings may be starting to show up in Ship Creek in downtown by then. Its also crowded, usually by tourists we have fun watching

The other places do have ocean fishing but I can't really help there since I've been there on business but never had tie to fish. sorry.

This is not the peak of the salmon runs in SE (cohos hit heavy later in the summer),but if it were me, i'd do this:

1. Ketchikan
    2. Juneau

Beyond that, save your money and do something else. Skagway doesn't have very good fishing.

Ketchikan and Sitka are the two best fishing ports on the cruise ship route.

May is a little early, but there are some very big Kings running at that time of the year.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Thanks Brian... but Drifter is correct... I'm retiring Alaskan Marine Adventures, and won't be chartering this year. Having said that, the OP has hit on my particular area of expertise, so I'm happy to lend what advice I can...

First, skip Anchorage unless you want combat fishing from shore.
    Next, skip Skagway... that time of year, we're just barely getting our King runs in Juneau, so Skagway won't have much in the way of fish yet unless you run all the way to Juneau!

For the late May king fishery, my choices would be KTN or Sitka. Juneau is a nice second choice for late May/early June kings too... whichever fits your touring schedule best - oh, and if there's a tour only offered in one port and not the other, go for it... (for example if you wanted to take a helicopter to the ice-field and ride a dogsled, you don't have that option in KTN, but you do in Juneau or Skagway.

As far as specific captains, in Juneau, I would go with Tom aboard the Three Eagle, or Kevin with Lost in Alaska Adventures. I can't make recommendations in KTN since I haven't been there in a few years and nobody knows who's actually running this year.

In general terms, for May king fishing, the longer you're out, the better your odds... most "cruise ship charters" are 4-hours on water. Try to find a captain who has time to run a 6 or 8 hour trip for you... if you've got the port time, why not consider a full-day halibut/king combo trip?

Sorry if I'm rambling here... I'm down today with a nasty flu bug, and things just aren't working well in my brain!

Oh... Happy Alaska Travels!
    -Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Juneau should have some decent dolly fishing by then, check out the fly shop in the Senate mall and they will set you strait. Ketchican should be good too for salmon and dollies/cutts
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.