Thread: Share Your Thoughts On Work Sleds

Default Share Your Thoughts On Work Sleds

In my experiences with old hand me down sleds, and new sleds is that there are two different types of work sleds. You have the heavy duty haulers, and the small trapping sleds. Heavy haulers like the Polaris Wide Track, Bearcat widetrack, Skandic SWT, and Viking are good for hauling heavy stuff. Then you have the little woods bombers like the elan, tundra, bravo, and polaris 340. The little 250-440 cc motors make for awsome range, and light weight for the tight stuff. Wouldn't it be good to have both? I've tried to get my big polaris widetack to do the tight stuff and I'm really missing my little old skidoo olympic. It's occured to me......maybe it's a good idea to just have both. A small tundra or bravo and the big widetrack for the heavy hauling. Does anyone do this "two work sleds method"?

I had a Tundra and a Viking for a long time. I still have a Viking and always will. I sold the Tundra a couple of years ago and have missed it since. Nothing goes through the woods like a Tundra.

Have a Transport and 2 Trail Tourings that haul heavy loads and are do everything sleds.
    Sometimes we do not have any snow and the big machines do not like it.

At times would like a big sled but too much $$$.

Default Viking & Ski-Doo

Hi Mainer...that is exactly what I've done.Have a 08 Yamaha Viking 4 stroker for heavy hauling out to the cabin which does great but is not an off trail sled...so this year I got a Ski-Doo freestyle backcountry.It's got a 550 fan so if the snow is thin or icy don't have as much overheating worrys,it can go anywhere & funner to play on.It also tows my little Atec ski sled "weekender sled",with no problem.These two sleds are a good combo.
    Buzzy

Yep, with the buddy system we use the Polaris Wide Traks for hauling the heavy stuff and working in the woods, but we also have a Polaris 550 Trail which hauls the "fluff". Works out perfect

In my limited experience it seems to me I currently have the best of both worlds. A 1988 tundra that is small, light and will gladly go just about anywhere I care to. I also have a 2009 tundra 550 lt that is perfect for hauling heavy loads or cruising with the family. I've also found it too be a very serviceable mountain sled although the 2 up seat can be a pain in the butt when riding the steep stuff solo.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Rick P,
    I'm considering getting the same exact sled you are speaking of. I just can't think of a sled that is as versatile and as light in weight as your sled. You could still throw that sled around without any issues. It's not that heavy @ 499 pounds. It's just a great sled and I hear that fan cooled motor is excellent on fuel, not to mention it's about the sharpest looking work sled I've seen too.

Mainer

The 09 Tundra continues to impress me and delight me. I played with the suspension a little more and now that I've got it dialed in the machine has shown me a even higher level of performance, comfort and versatility. I've yet to pull a sled with it but I've been told it tows very well too. I'm thinking of using it on a spring Big O'Shetna area bear trip if I can find the time and the snow holds for a bit longer.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.