Thread: what is this?

Default what is this?

so i was sitting at the vise and started throwing things together and this is what i came up with, i dont really know what it could imitate, suggestions anyone and do you think it would work.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Hmm, if it's about size 14-18 then it looks like a caddis nymph to me, except I would have done a black head (looks brown in the pic) and caddis nymphs don't have eyes, haha. Could put a gold bead head on it as a variant even. Interesting placement of the silver barbell eyes, I wonder how it looks under water. Have you filled up the bathtub or sink and tried?!

Kind of looks like a scud and wooly bugger crossbreed too, maybe you can call it the ScudBooger

Looks cool, I'd use it as the top fly in a 2 fly nymph rig and see how it works!

Put mono/black eyes and could be a very nice damsel nymph.

George

Default Combo

Put a trailing shuck on it and you have just about any swimming sytle of may fly back West & East i.e. Hex, Green Drake just change color to match the hatch along with the size.

Nice Fly!

Basic Caddis with a twist! Remember most fly's are made to cacth fishermen and those that look like a little bit of something yet like a little bit of everything tend to fish better.

:-)

I agree with the "twisted" caddis nymph. Sorta, kinda...

thanx for the replies they all sound good. ill try it this summer and post pics if i catch any fish, no i havent put it in water yet.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Definitly a free living caddis imatation, they are very very common in Alaska's warmer water systems and in the lower 48 are reffered to as the mother's day caddis or net spinning caddis. They are commonly all shades or green or brown and sometimes are very shiny.