Thread: glacier bears

Default glacier bears

is the yakutat area the best place to find the blue phase black bears? other areas?

yes, icy bay as well.

Default Blue Bears

Blue bears are where you find them. The Yakutat may seem to have a higher concentration of blue bears, but not the only place, however, finding them are still a matter of happenstance. To say that you are going specifically out to hunt for and then kill a blue bear is an extremely rare event. Sometimes years are involved in just seeing a blue bear. Not as rare as the Kamarod, but still the same very rare and hard to find.

I would love to see photos of people on this site that have harvested a blue bear....Bigmnt

Default i have seen a few photos

on other websites, with no locations of course. a few of them were super nice, big 6.5 to 7 footers with a silvery blue sheen.

Post blue (glacier) bears

a 7' blue bear is a serious trophy. most guys never even dedicate a hunt to them.

Default unit 1

Galcier bears are found throught unit 1 also .... Bigmnt is right they are very rare.

There have been several taken over the years east of Ketchikan in the Misty Fjords. I have been hunting Bear over there for 12 years and we took one several years ago. It was just over 6ft boar. All that I have heard about down here is the darker phase Blue. Black legs, black stripe down the back, black guard hairs with the steel blue under fur, opaque blue grey claws.

There are a few Kermode in the most southern area of Unit 1. I have never sighted one in the field. I have seen them in photo albums of Hyder and Stewart residents. They have been sighted on both sides of the Portalnd Canal.

Default thanks everybody

for the info.

Default Blue Bear

As strange as it sounds several years ago a sow blue bear was shot in unit 20A across the Tanana from Fairbanks. The fellow had seen it the year before too.