Thread: Homer Crabbing

Default Homer Crabbing

I want to try crabbing this summer. I did it for 4 years in oregon when I was stationed there. I had a great time and caught a ton of crab. The problem was I got most of them from 20 -45 ft of water.

Can any give me an Idea of water depth to target?
    Looking at a chart I have a few spots in mind.

1 is near gull island in 350' of water.

Any hints would be great. Cant wait to see the kids eyes when I pull a crab or two on the boat.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default Crab in homer

Last year I had my best luck fishing @ 350' and deeper the deeper spots worked better for me.
    Just be aware of the shipping channels. some of the guys down there lost pots fishing near yukon when the big ships and the ferries sucked up their bouys into their props and drug them off. Some of the LNG ships and such come into K-BAY to wait until the refinery or the LNG have a load ready for them. This should not be a problem near gull island though .
    Don't remember anyone fishing close to gull island but in thay general area can be some decent crabbing.
    Bring your binocs and look for buoys. I usually give the other guy 1/10 of a mile or so and try to stay in the same depth range where they are at.
    Good Luck CHRIS.

I've not dropped pots in K'Bay before . . are you chasing dungys or kings?

Thanks,
    SH

Default 350' is minimum...

the deep spot near gull island has some crab in places, but also lots of sunflower stars.
    if you soak too long you will load up with them.
    that area fished well early in the season, from opener (july 15th) for a few weeks, then died off completely. i heard of a couple folks fishing there right before it closed (march 15th) and i guess they were getting a few....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Tanner

Tanner crab is what we are currently allowed to catch in K-Bay.
    Not sure if dungeness pots would work for this.
    My advice is to get yourself some gear shed pots. These did real well for me last year.
    Tanner crab are a close cousin to the snow crab you see in the Red Lobster ads on tv.

Default Thanks for the Info

I need to get my boat set up with a pot puller. Think that will be my spring purchase.
    I miss eating fresh dungy's. Guess fresh Tanner will have to do,
    ha .
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.