Thread: hex bars

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default hex bars

anyone use these for lings or halibut? http://www.p-line.com/product_detail.php?id=606 cant get more simple than a piece of bar cut to size and add a hook. kodiak custom tackle uses bars as well. anyone make there own out of round bar stock? the flat sides of the hex gives off flat surfaces for flash im thinking the logic is but a round bar will do the same although the flash might be a little narrower. unless you go for the glow then shape dosent matter too much . 45s on the top and bottom will give you some darting action.

Default Stainless API rings

I make jigs out of API rings here on the drilling rigs. They are already curved, stainless, and heavy. Work great on Lings, bass, and H-but so far.
    I have been told to solder a piece of zinc on one end and a piece of copper wire on the oppisite side and end. This supposedly sets up a small field of current that simulates a wounded baitfish, like the e-chips used in jigs currently. Sounds good, but I haven't tried it yet. Got the idea from the skipper of the Dragonfly, Ron Matteson, down in Homer years ago when owned it.
    BK

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default old copper tubing

I melt some lead and fill copper tubing, and then pound flat like a crippled herring.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

In Newfoundland they call that lure "the nail," and it's usually homemade with a galvanized (that makes sense to me now bkmail) nail and painted red. They catch salmon and searun browns with it. It is sold on Cape Cod as a bonito lure. I had one once and replaced the treble hook with a fly of sparse angel hair tinsel and had frequent and violent strikes from cohos (and a few terns) until a chinook took it away.

I've made a few out of round stock. A buddy get's me stainless scraps. I haven't had a chance to fish them, one of these days.

I made some Kodiak Custom type lures using 3/4" steel rods and squid lures. I have not tried them yet but I am heading to Kodiak next week and hopefully they will catch me some big halibut. I even put a water activated light on a few of them. Wish me luck!

all great ideas . i am going to have access to some 3/4 round stock and been thinking about making some up. similar to the mudraker except powder coated and no sides. skirt or grub tail at the top.

I've had great luck catching halibut with my 16oz P-Line Hexbar. One tip though...immediately take of the crappy treble hook and replace it with a larger Gamakatsu treble. The first day I used this jig, I caught a 35-40 pounder and by the time I landed it, 2 of the 3 hooks on the original treble had broken off in it's mouth. It was a pure miracle that I was able to land the sucker. These hexbars dive to the bottom fast, and the flat sides produce great flash that I theorize looks very much like the candle fish these bottom dwellers feed on. These are relatively cheap to buy, so it is worth a try if you are willing to give it a go.

Default Mudraker

The Mudraker by Gibbs is a hex bag and I have slaughtered halibut with it. I had a guy change the hook to a 16/0 circle with a rubber skirt on it and it works every better. Caught close to 200 last year on it. Good enough for 3rd place in the Seward halibut derby.
    notice in the attached photo that they put the hook on the top of it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Hex Bars

I guess this is where I toss in that I Make them out of Ruston Turbine blabes. $32,000 for a set of 84 but what the heck they fish! Obviously I'm using junkers. They have a great curved section and a heavier head that is easy to make look like a bait fish, weigh adout 6 oz or so rigged.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    I guess this is where I toss in that I Make them out of Ruston Turbine blabes. $32,000 for a set of 84 but what the heck they fish! Obviously I'm using junkers. They have a great curved section and a heavier head that is easy to make look like a bait fish, weigh adout 6 oz or so rigged.
    Mike
    At $380 a piece it must suck to lose one to the rocks!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    Mike
    Can you guys post some pictures of your creations? This thread is useless without pics!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Can you guys post some pictures of your creations? This thread is useless without pics!
    You said it

Put a few of these together for slack water jigging.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

very nice use of the cresent sinker . i have seen them painted up as shrimp as well. those definately look like they will catch fish!!

Default Pictures of my secret creation, are you crazy?

Your gonna have to suffer and wait, or wait and suffer depending how you look at it. I work on the slope and wont get home for another week or so. I will however post a picture but once youve seen it don't try to butter me up with that master of metal crap cause I aint making any more
    This is the only one in the ENTIRE UNIVERSE and I kind of like it that way.

However I may have a silent auction once youve all had a chance to drool over it.

I'm telling you, this thing fishes so well, many days we just leave it lying around on the deck and there's fish there when we get back from taking the dog to shore so he can pee!

Now I gotta go mix up some white wash, I see some more folks coming to get their gratifaction!

Mike