Thread: Tubb Final Finish bore lapping system

Default Tubb Final Finish bore lapping system

Does anybody have experience with this product? Most of the reviews I find say it's worthwhile.

Product site
    http://www.davidtubb.com/finalfinish.html

Can be deleted, I did a poor search earlier and found info already here. thanks
    Last edited by MidnightSunRebel; 04-02-2009 at 20:30. Reason: stupidity

MSR,

My neighbor [a gunsmith] tried the system on his wife's rifle......he was very happy with the results.....he says cleaning became remarkably easier and the groups tightend substantially.

I hope to try it sonn as the snow drops a little.

I used them on my 30-06 and the accuracy improved a little but the cleaning got a LOT easier. I bought the bullets and reloaded them according the instructions as you get 5 of each grit in the bullet pack.

I tried this on my 06 with a very pitted barrel. Groups did not improve much or at all but cleaning got a lot easier. Before it would take twice as much time to clean with Wipe-out or Sweets. Now it is not the easiest cleaning barrel ever, but much better.

Agreed with above, I've run them through several rifles. They show some improvement in group size, but they definitely are much easier to clean. My AR15 is as easy to clean as my Lilja barreled .260 Rem ADL. My M96 6.5x55 Swede used to really mop up copper like it was lined with sand paper, even though it shot great groups. Now it shoots much cleaner.

Default Where to buy?

Anyone know where I can find Final Finish Ammunition in the Anchorage area? I tried to order online, but ammo requires UPS Ground which doesnt service AK. Any ideas how to get this ammo to AK? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by qberry View Post
    Anyone know where I can find Final Finish Ammunition in the Anchorage area? I tried to order online, but ammo requires UPS Ground which doesnt service AK. Any ideas how to get this ammo to AK? Thanks!

Order the bullets and not the loaded ammo. If you don't handload I'm sure someone around here would load them up for you.

I did not get mine as loaded ammo. I got the bullet kit which has 50 bullets for about $30 much cheaper then the loaded ammo and more bullets. If you do not reload maybe you can get someone to load them for you. I would offer but I do not know where you are.

Though not generally know, there IS UPS GROUND service in Alaska. I had heard this lately but recently had the opportunity to ask one of the local managers who confirmed this.

Thumbs up bet it works....

David Tubb can shoot. He knows how to keep a rifle shooting at it's best and has won many national titles. I would bet factory rifles benefit from it more then a top of the line custom barrel such as Krieger, Lilja, etc. Even if the accuracy is not a lot better, an easier cleaning barrel would be worth it. I have done some fire lapping, back in the 80's I used to get the stuff from Veral Smith of the old LBT bullet fame. I would get the bullets and abraseive medium and roll it between two metal plates to force it into the lead. Tubb's system sounds easier. Years ago I read a pretty lengthy article about fire lapping. The guy was not real impressed. I think it was in Handloader or Rifle magazine. Still, if I had a reall hard to clean barrel I would try it.

Quote Originally Posted by qberry View Post

Fed Ex does ground service to Alaska.