Thread: 44 Specials in 44 Mag..

Default 44 Specials in 44 Mag..

I just picked up a Taurus Ultra-Lite 44 mag and took it to the range today. I put a couple of 44 special rounds through it and it did not like them very much at all. The cylinder hung up. What I think is happening is the rounds rim is getting caught on the face of the inside front of the frame and stopping the cylinder from turning. I ran some 44 mags through it and had no problems at all. I realize that Taurus is not the highest quality pistol out there but it seems odd that this would happen. I think the only real difference in the rounds are the length correct?

Has one else experienced a 44 mag that doesn't like specials or do I have a bigger problem?

I will give Taurus this much.. For a 4" barrel and a relatively inexpensive gun it is very accurate..

There seemed to be a lot of blow back with them too... I'm not sure if this is normal since I'd never used them in a .44mag before. Anyone have any ideas.

I've run several boxes of .44 specials through my S&W 629 with no problems. Don't know why it would lock your cylinder up since the only major difference is the length as you said, maybe someone with more experience can chime in with an answer.
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

I run specials thru my Redhawk all the time no problems.Alex

Quote Originally Posted by dvarmit View Post
    I just picked up a Taurus Ultra-Lite 44 mag and took it to the range today. I put a couple of 44 special rounds through it and it did not like them very much at all. The cylinder hung up. What I think is happening is the rounds rim is getting caught on the face of the inside front of the frame and stopping the cylinder from turning. I ran some 44 mags through it and had no problems at all. I realize that Taurus is not the highest quality pistol out there but it seems odd that this would happen. I think the only real difference in the rounds are the length correct?

Has one else experienced a 44 mag that doesn't like specials or do I have a bigger problem?

I will give Taurus this much.. For a 4" barrel and a relatively inexpensive gun it is very accurate..
    Send it back to Taurus with a note about what it's doing. Sounds like a timing problem that is not noticed when using the sharper recoil Mag. loadings, but I would bet in time the reason will become obvious with a vengeance. Taurus is a great company to work with and does a great job on their warrantee work. They also give a fast return time, 3 weeks was the longest they have ever took for me in the 3 times I have needed their service. When they come back they are better than new, sure beats wondering and warring if itís gonna work.

Andy

I swap between .44 specials and alaskan backpacker rounds in my Taurus Tracker and it functions fine with both types of rounds. I know that doesn't help you much other than knowing not all Taurus' have that problem. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Thumbs up

Yes, Taurus makes some great stuff for the price, as good almost as Ruger in my book. Anything can malfuntction, no mater how well made it is though.

Andy

I've shot several brands of 44 special through my Tauraus 444 Multi (ultra light) with no problems. Definately alot more fun to shoot than the full house 320 grain Alaskan Backpackers! The only reason I dont like to shoot 44 special is the build up it causes in the cylinder, no big deal, just means I have to clean the cylinder if I want 44 Mag to eject properly. I love the pistol, very impressed with it for the price.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Just a thought, did you try different brands of .44 special ammo and did it do the same thing? If so, you can be pretty sure it is the gun and not the ammo. If not, then I defer to those more knowledged than I.

I have a friend that sent a taurus .454 back that was spiting lead. The gun was back in only a few weeks and was fine ever since. You will be happy when you get it back.

Here's my theory, not knowing anything about the 44 spcl loads or the condition of the gun. Bear in mind the 44 mags work perfectly.

Answer these questions.

What holds the case in the cylinder, no allowing it to back up, when shooting the 44 mags?

Answer: Pressure. True? False?

How much pressure does it take to swell the case so tight against the cylinder wall that it isn't pushed back by the bolt thrust?

Answer: More than the 44 special generates, less than the 44 mag generates. True? False?

For sure factory 44 mag loads generate more pressure than any factory 44 special loads.

Some 44 spcl loads are so light that when fired in new brass the case will not swell to seal the chamber. This is worsened by smaller diameter bullets in oversized throats.

What is the actual diameter of the 44 spcl bulets?

What is the actual diameter of the cylinder throats?

If the case doesn't grip the cylinder walls tight enough, the case will move back and rub the recoil face of the revolver, binding the cylinder and slowing or stopping cylinder rotation.

What do you think of this theory?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Here's my theory, not knowing anything about the 44 spcl loads or the condition of the gun. Bear in mind the 44 mags work perfectly.

Answer these questions.

What holds the case in the cylinder, no allowing it to back up, when shooting the 44 mags?

How much pressure does it take to swell the case so tight against the cylinder wall that it isn't pushed back by the bolt thrust?

Answer: More than the 44 special generates, less than the 44 mag generates. True? False?

For sure factory 44 mag loads generate more pressure than any factory 44 special loads.

Some 44 spcl loads are so light that when fired in new brass the case will not swell to seal the chamber. This is worsened by smaller diameter bullets in oversized throats.

If the case doesn't grip the cylinder walls tight enough, the case will move back and rub the recoil face of the revolver, binding the cylinder and slowing or stopping cylinder rotation.

I think you hit the nail on the head. With the 44 mag's there was noticable expansion and the casing stayed put. With the specials they just feel back out without any resistance and the expansion was almost nil. This makes me wonder if Taurus can even address this problem. I will email them and see.

Answer these questions.

You DO make a good point! The chambers should NEVER be highly polished because grip on the brass is needed.
    But too much head space can allow the primers to back out with light loads when brass is held OK. The primer can prevent the cylinder from turning.
    More info is needed about whether primers are proud or something else is going on.
    There should be no problems at all with .44 specials in the .44 mag.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    You DO make a good point! The chambers should NEVER be highly polished because grip on the brass is needed.
    But too much head space can allow the primers to back out with light loads when brass is held OK. The primer can prevent the cylinder from turning.
    More info is needed about whether primers are proud or something else is going on.
    I didn't look at the primers although it did look like the rim's were hitting the recoil face. Here's a picture and you can see where there is contact with the face. You can see the contact point on the outside of the cylinder.

I will check the primers to see if they are coming back out..

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post

Yes, very true. And very light loads will back the primers out and also agree any 44 mag should shoot any 44 spcl load but some spcl loads are just too lightly loaded to expand to the walls. I don't know about the primers either, was just throwing out possibilities.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Yes, very true. And very light loads will back the primers out and also agree any 44 mag should shoot any 44 spcl load but some spcl loads are just too lightly loaded to expand to the walls. I don't know about the primers either, was just throwing out possibilities.
    The 44 specials are the Winchester 44 S&W SPL Lead Round Nose 246 Target/Range. I did not try heavier 44 special rounds. I still think there is a fox in the hen house if others are shooting specials with no problems. I called Taurus and their customer service is worthless. The lady had no idea what I was talking about and like reading from a script said, send it back for service. By the time I pay for shipping from up here I could probably get away with taking it to a gun smith.

Oh. I forgot to add that the lady in Customer Service at Taurus told me that she didn't know that you can shoot 44 specials in a 44 mag.. You have got to be kidding me..

Quote Originally Posted by dvarmit View Post
    The 44 specials are the Winchester 44 S&W SPL Lead Round Nose 246 Target/Range. I did not try heavier 44 special rounds. I still think there is a fox in the hen house if others are shooting specials with no problems. I called Taurus and their customer service is worthless. The lady had no idea what I was talking about and like reading from a script said, send it back for service. By the time I pay for shipping from up here I could probably get away with taking it to a gun smith.
    The last one I sent back was under $20 back in 2000, but say its $40 or so now and tell me what amount of work you will get for $40 at a good gunsmith? Ya the people on the phone are stupid, thatís because the gunsmiths are working on guns and not talking on the phone. Taurus is set up to bring them home, fix them fast, so they get back to the owners fast. Any other brand of gun may not be worth sending in but Taurus will fix any little thing and you will have a much better than new gun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Taurus

If you purchased the gun from Sportsman's Warehouse, they will send it back at no charge. If purchased from another dealer, you can always ask...

I am going to pop over to the UPS store and see what's up.. Thanks guys.