Thread: Kodiak duck hunting ?'s

Default Kodiak duck hunting ?'s

Hello,

I'm new to this site so I'd like to say thanks for all the info I've gotten so far. Hopefully I will be able to add to the pot in the years to come.

I will be moving to Kodiak in about a month and am really excited to do some duck hunting this year. I haven't had a chance to do any in 15 years so I'm a little rusty. But I killed alot of ducks and geese in the midwest when I was a kid and have been working on my calling and shooting as much as I can, time and $ wise.

I am mainly interested in puddle ducks but I wont pass on the sea ducks. I'm just not experienced at them and dont have that kind of gear. As far as gear goes I have 2doz super mag mallards, a 1doz "puddler pack" and 1/2doz canadian full bodies. I also have a 14' canoe, chest waders ect.

So getting to the point. What kind of hunting can I expect to get into? Can I do it fairly localy? Do you guys hunt mostly on lakes and ponds or on streams and rivers. What is the hunting pressure those areas like.

Believe me dont think for one minute you guys are going to give the cheechako the dates, time and directions to your honey hole, wouldnt believe you if you did either. But I would greatly appreciate your advise and maybe share some of your experiences with me. Ya' I've had this itch for 15 years. lol. Thanks in advance and I hope to hear your .02 soon.

Most of the anwsers to your questions can be found in some threads here and over on the Refuge AK forum. These answers may not be obvious but some photos will have some really good information. It will make more sense once you have boots on the ground anyway. There are at least 3 active posters on the net from Kodiak so you should be able to get good intel.

A quick view of the area using Google Earth will show you that Kodiak Island is a moutain range that sticks right up out of the ocean. And because it is a mountain range made of sea floor mud and rocks its terrain is highly variable. It does not scream duck hunting when first looked at from space.

The dark geese population migrating through the area down there is rumored to be increasing these days so your canada decoys might come in handy. However, this population increase rumor may be related to the southern half of the island and not the north where you are going to be. I am assuming you are a Coasty. If you are a Coasty then folks like beerswimmer will be ready to set you up once you are there.

The rivers are not habitat areas like they can be in the states. Clear water filled half the year with spawning salmon. Some bays have beach heads with marsh habitat some of which is tidal. On the net I have only read about one pond near town being shot over. There are not a lot of ponds in the area due to the mountainous terrain.

Thanks AK Ray.

I had gone the google earth route, couldnt tell much due to lack of much detail, and wasnt really enthused by what I saw as far as the duck hunting I had done. Yes, I am a coasty. So where would I find beerswimmer and who is he?

If all else fails I guess I will get used to eating sea ducks, but I am not looking forward to it by any means.

Thanks again AK ray and I hope others will chime in too.

Quote Originally Posted by BilgeWater78 View Post
    If all else fails I guess I will get used to eating sea ducks, but I am not looking forward to it by any means.
    You could always have them made into something like a pepperoni stick or some other sausage product. Remember, anything is edible if you add enough pork fat and spices Seriously though, I used to be a coastie and my ship spent a little time in kodiak from time to time. The GM on the ship used to hunt almost a island or sometimes island (I forget what they call it), for sea ducks. He always did really well. You can see it from the base. I had friends that were staioned there say that you can get puddle ducks out at Saltrie Creek, but that requires a four wheeler ride. Cys sporting goods store (if its still open) would be a good place to ask about waterfowl hunting.

There have been all types of ducks at a certain beach about 2 rocks throws away from my house ever since I moved in here. In January I saw a couple of guys doing pretty well there (as I drove down my driveway about 20 ft. from where they were shooting). Unfortunately I dont have a shotgun.

I do a little duck hunt here. Puddle ducks are mainly shot in October and early November, but they don't taste much better than the divers because they eat a lot of salmon eggs. Once the lakes freeze around mid November everything moves to the rivers and salt. Lots of divers and seaducks to shoot Nov-Jan and we usually get a puddle duck every now and then off the salt. You can't shoot canadian's off the roadsystem, but hopefully they'll change that soon since there is a decent population. Good puddle duck hunting on most of the larger lakes on the road and the bigger rivers. Just get out and see where others are hunting, you'll figure it out. BTW Watch out for the emperor geese and the Stellar eiders, you can't shoot them and they know it.

Early season divers

Some seaducks (bring a lot of shells)

Default trade the canoe

While you are learning the ropes there are a few number of seaduck spots that you can get to off the hwy /road & sit on a rocky outcrop throw out a few decoys, & pass shoot sea ducks.
    Never been much of a canoe fan so I don't know about that. I would think the ticket would be a layout boat but sometimes the bays get a little rough.
    When I have gone over from Anchorage we would manage just using a little packraft for retrivals, but make sure to bring a life jacket.

Default Goldeneye aren't bad to eat

My last trip to Kodiak I passed on several chances to shoot Gadwall and Mallards. They just don't taste very good. Find a buddy with a boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That was supposed to say puddlers and a diver.
    To hunt seaducks without a boat all you need is a longline setup with 10-12 clip on decoys. You will be limited to incoming tides because you will want to set it at low or close to low. Tie another line to the anchor and run that up the bank, as the tide comes in keep moving the decoy line as you move up the bank. Single decoys are too much of a pain on incoming tides, because all your time will be spent moving them, and you will lose some. As for where, just drive around at low tide and see where the muscle beds are, that's where the ducks will be at high tide. You'll get plenty of harlequin and black scoter with that set up and if your in the right bays you'll get into bluebills, goldeneye and mallards too. Good luck.

Thanks Guys, I really appreciate the advise!

So what ducks are good to eat there, or is it really just a matter of preparation methods?

I almost forgot. Thanks for the pics, those are some good looking dogs. Now I really cant wait to get there and get hunting!

Default New too

Hey bilge water, just reported in as well, on alex haley, shoot me a instant message or i will you, ready to wack-m-n-stackem

hope you guys have figured out before I report in next summer. I watched North to Alaska this pass weekend and Larry CSonka was duck hunting in Kodiak. Those were some beautiful ducks.