Thread: Breaking bad habits

Default Breaking bad habits

So I must admit I've never trained a pooch from a pup but I have trained in other areas, but not broken any habits.

I've been open minded while searchin for a new lab and I came across a 1.5yo male lab and the owners say he likes to leave the yard and doesn't come when called. I imagine at 1.5yo it can be tough to break a habit like this that the owner has never attempted to break before. If I'm gonna take my labs out hunting, camping and 4wheeling, they would have to listen. My current lab, Kimber knows all the commands and listens VERY well, considering she came from the pound last april. She has been the best dog I've ever had.

So what would be some good suggestions in tackling this? I don't want to pick up a dog and have the problem worsen or not be able to break it, it would defeat the purpose of having him.

To my knowledge he spends his time on a chain and I don't want to raise a dog tied up all the time. I'll be building a chain link pen for the summer but when I'm at home I want them to be able to roam in the yard, and not take off.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Brought this guy home tonight to spend the week with us. So far he's doin very well. Listens pretty good for being in a new environment with strangers. I'd say he's very close if not over 100lbs. Little bit of leash time and he'll come right around.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Postive renforcement

Just make comming to you the best possible thing in his universe. Make uncompliance unpleasant. The advantage of having him from a pup is you figure what drives him. In other words.......does he like being alone? Does he love to retrieve? Does he like being dominated? What drives him? What punishes him? You'll have to work those traits.

I don't advocate abuse, of course. But were talking dogs here. He either gets praise and affection or some kind of punishement.

For my dog punishment is taking the bumper away, stopping play, ignoring him, or a stearn voice followed by putting him in a stationary posistion. I put him in submission and stop all activity. Then we start again and try for comliance. If unsuccessful I stop......I don't want to encourage bad habits. I'll admit it though......My dog has more drive than me and wins sometimes.

Your gonna need treats.........Lots of treats.
    Of course following the standards of most good dog owners helps too.

Good Nutrition
    Good Exercise
    Good Affection
    Good Pack order
    Good Breeding

= Good dog

He looks to be a very handsome and athletic dog.......I hope your very active.

I would suggest you get a long rope and leave it on him whenever he is outside. If you do this consistently he will eventually just get into the habit of always listening (or at least most of the time).

It is very hard, nearly impossible, to get the correct response to the 'here' command w/out using something to re-inforce it with. Thus the long line.....

are you interested in running any hunt tests with him?

Midnight Sun Gun Dog Association is having three picnic tests this spring (like training sessions) and also will have 3 hunt tests this summer....It is a LOT of fun!

www.msgda.org is their website....

Juli

Every time he comes to you, throw him a bumper as a reward. or give him a treat (but wean him off of the relatively quickly)....

Juli

I use a training collar and 20ft rope. He's doing pretty good with recall on the leash and I only use the heel command. Off the leash is another story. Enough dogs in the area to catch his attention and he's off. Yukon was neutered Friday so hopefully that will calm his tendencies to wander.

I don't forsee using him as a hunt dog and I don't think he would be ready for that just yet. Basic obedience and above all, doing what he's told must be mastered first. He's very loyal and protective, sometimes will throw up a lowly growl at strangers, and his vet. So that must be broken as well.