Thread: Anyone tried Hornady New Dimension Dies?

Default Anyone tried Hornady New Dimension Dies?

Supposedly you don't need to lube the cases using these dies. Do they work well? I need some dies and thought I'd give these a shot instead of trying to pick some up locally.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...5f057cd266ab14

Tim

I consider Murphy to be a great source of information. He has gone on the record as not liking these dies. He does quite a bit of advanced development and likes the interchangabilty of other systems.

I have several sets of the Hornady New Demintion Dies and have no issues with them at all. I also have the microjust seating stem that goes on any of the Hornady dies. It makes .001 adjustments to seating depth in a snap for my rifle loads.

For 40S&W, 380auto and 45ACP I use these dies with no lube ever and load around 800 rounds per month. My bottle neck dies dont have the titanium nitride coating so lube is required.

Thanks for the endorsement, Marshall, but you would probably be a better source for info about these dies. I've owned only 3 sets of them for bottle necked calibers, still have one in the 375 Ruger.

I wouldn't say that they aren't good dies, very good quality I'd say but the way the are designed or assembled is my grief. The sizer/expander dies are fine and the ultra hard/smooth expanders are very good. The shock rubber (O-ring) mounted decapper/expander rod (in the match dies) is also a good idea, allowing the case to self center when passing through the expander. This should help with keeping the neck aligned.

The seaters with the sliding sleeve, in concept is good, similar to the Forster Benchrest Seaters and Redding Match seating dies. The problem is that the sliding sleeve slides out the bottom and is held in place by a spring clip with a sharp pointed tip. (Guess how I found that out) Also I found the two piece seating stem will sometimes tip off center, or stick in a funny position and change the seating depth or something of the sorts. I had a set of these in 6.5 Creedmore, which I had this seating depth problem with and sold them with the rifle. Then the 375 Ruger came out and Hornady had the only dies for a while, so I bought another set. I had similar seating depth problems. In both cases I disassembled the dies and cleaned all grease out and relubed (the slider must be lubed) and it did it again. I cannot say for sure why the dies did what they did but they messed with me.

These dies are nicely hardened and polished but will still need lube and your 444 Marlin dies are not carbide either so they will need lube too. Hornady is strongly invested reloading equipment and components here in the past few years and are constantly improving their products. The also have a very strong warranty/customer service policy. If you like them and they work for you, they'll be good dies.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I have the Hornady dies in 35rem & 358win and did get the LEE factory crimp for these as well. Hornady's zip spindle is fully adjustable some thing the LEE's both collet and full length are not at lest in the 22 Hornet which I have too. Also the Hornady die box will hold everything else you would store with the dies.

Default same problems...

with the seating assembly in the 375 Ruger dies. Last night I loaded up a batch of 375's and had to constantly adjust the seater, the seater plug at one point came out of the sliding bushing, very frustrating to say the least. While I was taking the die apart to put things back in working order I remembered that this happened a few months ago also. Anybody else making 375 Ruger dies, I would very much like to throw mine out the window
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Supposedly you don't need to lube the cases using these dies. Do they work well? I need some dies and thought I'd give these a shot instead of trying to pick some up locally.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_session=0468f44410ac57dc4bd3263476d184e2&page= shop%2Fbrowse&category_id=e821adad15cdd603185f057c d266ab14

Tim

I've used Hornady dies in 44mag and 454 Casull with no issues. Quality seems top notch. You are right: no lube needed on cases. Last thing I need is a gooey sticky mess clinging on the cases, with all the resultant dirt attached. That's why I bought these. I like'em...I will NEVER go back to regular dies...

Marshall/Ak

I have a set in .357 and they work great. I like how they align the bullet for seating. I'd buy them again if I was needing to replace others that I have. But I wouldn't go out and buy them to replace a perfectly good set I already own.

I've never loaded rifle cases (new to the hobby) and know I'll screw up the lube process and end up with dented cases. The carbide pistol dies I've used from Lee are great and work fine. Thought I'd try the Hornady ones out for my .338 or .444 to get started. Rifle brass is expensive to screw up.

Though, I DO have a set of .444 Lee dies and lube, so I'll try a few to lube a few .444 and resize 'em before I order a second set of .444 dies. I'll try the Hornady dies for my .338 or '06.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    with the seating assembly in the 375 Ruger dies. Last night I loaded up a batch of 375's and had to constantly adjust the seater, the seater plug at one point came out of the sliding bushing, very frustrating to say the least. While I was taking the die apart to put things back in working order I remembered that this happened a few months ago also. Anybody else making 375 Ruger dies, I would very much like to throw mine out the window
    I have the following Hornady dies with no problems at all:

380 AUTO over 500 rounds loaded
    40 S&W over 2000 rounds loaded
    45 ACP over 2000 rounds loaded
    204 Ruger 500 plus rounds loaded
    223 REM 1000 plus rounds loaded
    270 WIN 200 rounds loaded
    7mm RM 200 rounds loaded
    308 WIN 200 rounds loaded
    30-30 200 rounds loaded
    30-06 300 rounds loaded
    300 RUM 100 rounds loaded
    338 WM 300 rounds loaded
    375 H&H 200 rounds loaded
    375 Ruger over 500 rounds loaded

Approximately 8000 rounds loaded and only one problem similar to previous posters. It was my fault, not Hornady's. I do use the Hornady micro adjuster for the seating die for exact adjustments, very good tool for about $25 and it works on all the dies.

If you remove the "C" clip from the seater die and drop the sleeve and seating stem to clean pay attention how you put it back together.

The "C" clip is directional. If you lay it on a flat surface you will notice that the 90 degree angle on the end that goes in the hole to retain the sleeve actually has a slight tilt. It must be installed with the tilt pointing up to retain the sleeve properly. If the tip is pointed down the sleeve will drop out almost every time you cycle the die.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall/Ak View Post
    I've used Hornady dies in 44mag and 454 Casull with no issues. Quality seems top notch. You are right: no lube needed on cases. Last thing I need is a gooey sticky mess clinging on the cases, with all the resultant dirt attached. That's why I bought these. I like'em...I will NEVER go back to regular dies...

Marshall/Ak
    I think that any dies that don't require lube will be tungston carbide, titanium carbide or nitride dies. Any steel dies will require lube, new deminsion or otherwise. All die makers make dies for the 44 mag and 454 in carbide but not many makers of carbide dies for bottle neck rifle dies.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I've never loaded rifle cases (new to the hobby) and know I'll screw up the lube process and end up with dented cases. The carbide pistol dies I've used from Lee are great and work fine. Thought I'd try the Hornady ones out for my .338 or .444 to get started. Rifle brass is expensive to screw up.

Though, I DO have a set of .444 Lee dies and lube, so I'll try a few to lube a few .444 and resize 'em before I order a second set of .444 dies. I'll try the Hornady dies for my .338 or '06.

Tim
    I don't think that the 444 would be dented by excess lube, only botle necked calibers, and even if you get dents form excess lube (a common trait of all dies) the dents do not disable the case it will still load and fire just fine.

After a few hundred thousand rounds loaded with lube I don't find it to be a problem, regardless of the dies used.

my hunting/reloading buddy has the same dies in 375 ruger and we have had problems with the resizer since day one. once the case reaches the neck portion of the die it become extremely tight then as it comes out it usually gets stuck on the expander. we have tried averything we could think of but nothing works. miced the cases and it is sizing them to .009 under specs. is this normal

Quote Originally Posted by linger27 View Post
    my hunting/reloading buddy has the same dies in 375 ruger and we have had problems with the resizer since day one. once the case reaches the neck portion of the die it become extremely tight then as it comes out it usually gets stuck on the expander. we have tried averything we could think of but nothing works. miced the cases and it is sizing them to .009 under specs. is this normal
    I'm just a rookie but try this. I run a neck brush down about half of the cases. I have a drop or two of lube on the brush and this puts a very small amount of lube in the neck which transfers to the exspander. There is enough that it makes all of the cases pass by with ease. I clean all my cases with a media tumbler and rinse with mild soap and hot water so there is no lube inside to worry about.

As far as the .009 issue that you mentioned, you don't have to full length resize your cases, every rifle is different so find your measurement. I'll assume that you have a mic fixture/tool that measures where the shoulder is. Adjust your sizer die so that it only sets your shoulder back .002 from a fired case measurment. Bottom it out on your shell plate and back off one and a half turns. Run a case and measure it. Turn the die in 1/8 turn increments until you get close then 1/16 until your perfect. As long as your only sizing for your rifle you will be fine.

Some will say you should full length resize every dangerous game load, you have to decide for your self. Personally to size so loose then fire and strech and repeat just wears out your brass.

i am fairly new to reloading also. ill give the brush n lube a try. i only miced the neck diameter and not the full length as we were trying to just neck size/ deprime.

i am fairly new to reloading also. ill give the brush n lube a try. i only miced the neck diameter and not the full length as we were trying to just neck size/ deprime.
    You may not be getting enough or the right lube on the case. What lube are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I think that any dies that don't require lube will be tungston carbide, titanium carbide or nitride dies. Any steel dies will require lube, new deminsion or otherwise. All die makers make dies for the 44 mag and 454 in carbide but not many makers of carbide dies for bottle neck rifle dies.
    Yes, you are right: my die sets for the 44 and 454 are carbide (or similar hardened material). IMO, they are well worth the extra bucks over the cost of standard dies. They work flawlessly, with no lube. I was not aware that anyone made carbide dies for rifle...is that for real? I have a few Hornady dies for rifle, but none are carbide, and cases must be lubed. It's kinda a drag getting the gunk off the cases after re-sizing...

Marshall/Ak

You can also get a can of hornady One Shot case lube and spray the cases on all four sides at a downward angle, making sure a small amount of lube gets into the case neck. This will solve your problems with the expander.

One Shot works fine for this and it won't contaminate your powder or primers.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentC View Post
    You can also get a can of hornady One Shot case lube and spray the cases on all four sides at a downward angle, making sure a small amount of lube gets into the case neck. This will solve your problems with the expander.

One Shot works fine for this and it won't contaminate your powder or primers.
    I also like One Shot and have used it for years but you must get it inside the neck or you will soon be amoung the guys that hate it!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona