Thread: 4 year old blackie = average?

Default 4 year old blackie = average?

Just curious, I am happy with my bear taken on POW - it was about 18.6" and 4 years old. Is that a young, middle aged or older boar? I am guessing middle aged.

I think I remember seeing they can live to 15 or 20 years in the wild. My understanding is that 20 is VERY old though.

Young bear, the males start breading between 3 and 4, so he had just reached breading age.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

He was getting realy for his prime of life and old enough to know better about getting shot. Good eating age

Default these guys are right

four years old is a young bear as far as a bears lifespan but i'd say a four year old with an 18 inch skull that squares 5 foot 6 inches to 5 foot 10 inches weighing +- 200lbs is the average bear killed in this state
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Thanks that is roughly what I tought too. My first bear, I will be back though!

Wink

Why's he gotta be a "blackie"?!

Taylor

I've hunted POW twice. I shot a 6'9" that was 5, and a 7 footer that was 8. My buddies shot bears that were 3,4, and 7.

Default POW

pow produces larger bears one average for age and larger skulls on average too ....also lots of the bear down there have brown underfur and tend to rub, leaving brown spots in various locations...typiclally on their foreheads and legs...
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I would class it as an average black bear.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Young

Don .... I would call that a young Bear .... we have taken many Bear in their teens.

The oldest Bear we have taken is this Sow that was almost 19" on the skull (which is not common for a Sow) and aged in the mid twenties ... We all thought it was a Boar.

Default POW jug heads

One thing to remember is that on the average Prince of Wales Bear are 1 to 1 1/2 inch larger skulls than other Black Bear of the same age class.

Wow. Very nice bear.

Taylor

Default Sow claws

yea ... she had some long claws going on ....

and long hair ....

Down here on POW Island it's common for Sows and young Boar to have longer silkier hair than Old scruffy / scarred up Boars.

Default Telling sex of a black bear?

Now i was just looking at the pic below of that sow. Do you judge black bears the same way you do Brownies? Squared off nose and general sizing? I am going to start hunting them this year and just figured i would ask since the topic is on black bears.. Thanks

David

Default Age

A four year old bear is a pre-teen aged bear. I have two over 15 years old, one 7' and the other real close. The year I took the one that was 15, there were about 10-12 other bears taken on PWS that were older. One sow was 26 and another sow was 24. The oldest boar was 19 or 20.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Sow vs Boar

Don't try to guess by looking at that Sow ... I checked on her age and she was 29 years old. There has only been a few taken in units 1 and 2 that old and only one at 30 years old. Most of those older Bears that have been tagged are Sows ....

Mostly you can tell Boar from Sow by size and just the blocky type head and face ... similar to a Lab Dog ... normally you can tell just by looking but not always .. and hunter who says that they have never been fooled has not done that much Black Bear hunting. At times Blacks can be very hard to sex and size.

Once again on the age of a 4 year old ... that is a young Bear ... last season the Bear we took were 14, 15, 15, 16 and yes a 4 year old .... oops !!!!!! but the 4 year old had an 18+ skull .... just like DonV's ... POW Island gots the 'jug heads' !!!!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Gotta say though... those 3-5 yr old bear are what we get up here on a regular basis... and they are PERFECT for the kids to cut their teeth on.....

and for me to not wear mine out... Dang good eating. we dont see the older ones till fall time. during the blue berry season...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here