Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3D Shoot

Default 3D Shoot

The Spring Bear shoot is just around the corner. April 25 & 26. This is a great shoot. See attached flier.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Thanks Jeff

for picking up on this and getting it posted! Lots of fun at all levels, great folks, and I heard Scott and Jill arranged for a sunny-60 degee weekend!

I am going to do my best to get there with the boys ... but shhhhish ... 40 targets one day, 30 the next - x 2 arrows each for the 3 of us - that's 420 arrows! ... I got to start fletching!

Can complete novices attend this kind of event?

Got started last summer with the kids, yet we have been bad and not been out at all this winter. Got my new (used) recurve that I bought last fall and have put less than 10 arrows through it so far.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Absolutely!

Default Prizes

Are their any prizes for the winners of each class? Kids and youth prizes? Medals, pins, trophies?.. etc..

Thanks

In the past they have had prizes for the best scores, raffles, drawing prizes. On top of that it is a lot of fun. Great people and a great time. Go to it if you can.

Default Bump

Just bumping this to the top.

For those that have never been to this shoot, targets range from 4 yds to 101 yds. Most of the targets are under 60 yds. Still time to get practicing.

Default I'll be there

I just sent in my $$ and registration to join so hoping to shoot as a member. I have been shooting horrible this year - I better get some arrow's fletched up myself!

Bump!

We had a good work day today getting the shooting lanes prepped. This is going to be a great shoot! Make it if you can!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default location

how do you get to the location of the shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    Can complete novices attend this kind of event?

Got started last summer with the kids, yet we have been bad and not been out at all this winter. Got my new (used) recurve that I bought last fall and have put less than 10 arrows through it so far.
    I went to the 4th of July shoot in Soldotna last summer and did my first 3D shoot. I was 7th out of 7 in my category, but still had a great time. The gap between competitive shooters and those like me, bow hunter wanna be's, was pretty obvious, however. At least I didn't embarrass myself, I didn't miss a target. I stayed clear of the novelty shoots.

I think I was the oly one there who didn't win a door prize.

Default stick around!

In the past years, I think that everyone who stuck around for the drawings after the awards got a door prize. In other words, we had more door prizes than there were people, so everybody who stayed got something.

Honestly folks, this is our biggest shoot of the year, and it looks like it's shaping up to be really good again this year. Come out and shoot!

Default Registering

Can you register when you get there?

Where can I find all the particulars? Location, directions, etc?
    Marc Theiler

Best shoot of the year. Known distance so you don't have to be a good 3D distance guesser and challenging shots. Every time I have went I have won a door prize. I'll be missing it this year since I will be hunting turkeys with my daughter in California than heading to shoot the Redding Trail Shoot
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Sounds like fun! I'm definitely going to try make it to that. Good times..as asked above, what are the directions and location at?
    Last edited by blasterak; 04-20-2009 at 21:54. Reason: Forgot to ask something.

Default Registration!

Quote Originally Posted by theilercabin View Post
    Can you register when you get there?

Where can I find all the particulars? Location, directions, etc?
    Yes you can register the morning of the shoot. Someone should be there around 8:00 or 8:30 for registration. Actually I know someone will be there, my wife. She should be there around 8 am.

The shoot is located at the Matsu College campus on Trunk rd. Take the Glen to the Parks, first exit off of the Parks is Trunk. Go up to the campus and you should see all the cars etc.

Default ASAA membership and registration

Thanks for getting the directions to Mat-Su college posted Jeff! I just thought I'd add that the archery range is at the far end of the parking lot at Mat-Su college. As mentioned, it should be pretty obvious due to cars and motor homes...and lots of people walking around with bows!

It's worth it to get there close to 8am, or even 7:45am. It takes a while to get your bow out, get registered, get your gear on, walk back to the practice range, go back to the car because you forgot your release, etc, etc. The practice range will close by about 8:40AM, and in the past people who showed up later than 8:15AM may or may not have had a chance to shoot any warm-up shots.

I also wanted to mention that not only can you sign up for the Spring Bear shoot on Saturday morning, but you will also be able to get an ASAA membership on the spot, and then pay the reduced shoot fees.

ASAA members pay $25 to shoot both days, while non-members pay $40. The ASAA membership costs only $25, and since it's good for an entire year from the date of purchase, you'll come out ahead if you shoot just one more ASAA shoot, indoor or outdoor, during the year. Even if you don't plan on shooting another shoot, the cost difference is only $5.

See you all there!
    Markus

Default Some things to bring

After the last (and only) 3D shoot I did, I wrote down some things that I wish I would have brought with me. I can't seem to find that list, but I can remember a few of them. first timers may want to consider bringing these items:

-Bino's. so you can see the exact location of the 12-point ring before you shoot...or see how to adjust for your second shot. However, if Markus shoots before you, just aim for his arrow...That's what I did.

-Slick-Umm. Or whatever it is called...the bottle of stuff you rub on your arrow shafts so they will pull out of the 3D target easier.

-Water bottle. Long day, lotta walking.

-Bug spray. may not be needed for spring bear shoot.

-Hip Quiver. I was the only idiot with a bow mounted quiver, everyone else had hip quivers. I practiced like I was hunting, so I always use the bow mounted quiver, but I sure felt out of place....like the guy wearing jeans at the prom. Aparently real 3D shooters do not use bow mounted quivers.

There was more, but that's all I can remember.

Aparently real 3D shooters do not use bow mounted quivers.
    Yep, now we have folding chairs with quivers mounted to them http://gpssweetseat.com/default.shtml

In reality it doesn't matter. I am no slouch and I was KILLED by a guy in my group at the Redding Trail Shoot that shot his hunting setup with bow mounted quiver and 4" vanes on his arrows. He ended up finishing in the top 10 in bowhunter freestyle against some of the best shooters in the country.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Post Registration

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    Yes you can register the morning of the shoot. Someone should be there around 8:00 or 8:30 for registration. Actually I know someone will be there, my wife. She should be there around 8 am.

The shoot is located at the Matsu College campus on Trunk rd. Take the Glen to the Parks, first exit off of the Parks is Trunk. Go up to the campus and you should see all the cars etc.
    I just confirmed with my wife that WE will be there, to start registering people, at 7:30 am.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast