Thread: CG inspection

Default CG inspection

I just got a call from the CG (Bob) out of Whitter. They were calling to set up a day to come out and inspect my boat. I want to say it's really nice they make the effort to come out to you instead of you tugging your boat to them. Bob was very helpful. So with that. Who else is getting there boat inspected?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up

Last year I got mine done at West Marine. I got there before they were even there for fear of parking, it doesn't really fit in the space over there. I need to figuer something else out, somewhere with some space to manuever or see if they want to come to me.
    Inspections are totally worth the hassel, last year they wrote down the hull vin# as part of the paper work and found a number mess up with the hull and my registration. The letter z and the number 2 were mixed up, so I went and re-registered it at the DMV (love that place). Can you imagine the insurance mess if something happened to it and that became an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Last year I got mine done at West Marine. I got there before they were even there for fear of parking, it doesn't really fit in the space over there. I need to figuer something else out, somewhere with some space to manuever or see if they want to come to me.
    Inspections are totally worth the hassel, last year they wrote down the hull vin# as part of the paper work and found a number mess up with the hull and my registration. The letter z and the number 2 were mixed up, so I went and re-registered it at the DMV (love that place). Can you imagine the insurance mess if something happened to it and that became an issue.
    I was there and when channel 2 showed up and started to film. I was sweating they were going to fail me on tv. I passed and learned allot in the process.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

That sticker makes a difference, the CG comes by in their boat, slows down looking for it through their binocs, then waves and motors on by.

Besides the West Marine Vessel Examination station the Auxilary is working on doing another VE station at a location that is more truck and trailer friendly. Details are still being worked out and I will let you know once we get the word. Myers if you or anybody else is in need of a Vessel Examination let me know. I'm a member of the Auxilary and qualified VE and more then willing to come out and perform the examination at your house.

I had my 22-foot boat inspected when I bought it new, and got some good advice and pointers from the CG inspector.

I just bought a 26-footer a month ago, and I plan on getting it inspected this year. I always feel like I've overlooked something, so an extra set of eyes is certainly welcome. I'd rather find out that I'm missing something on land than at sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewey 260 View Post
    Besides the West Marine Vessel Examination station the Auxilary is working on doing another VE station at a location that is more truck and trailer friendly. Details are still being worked out and I will let you know once we get the word. Myers if you or anybody else is in need of a Vessel Examination let me know. I'm a member of the Auxilary and qualified VE and more then willing to come out and perform the examination at your house.
    Dropped you a PM.

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

When I finished building my boat I contacted the aux, and they came out to my house to check it out. They also said if I new of anyone else in the neighborhood that wanted an inspection they'd do it at the same time.

I passed, and he made some good pointers.

Thumbs up

Thank you Hewey, I will touch base with you when it's ready to go. It's still tarpped, carbs is off, battery stuff, etc, etc...

Default Sounds like a great idea....

To schedule the inspection when you can. My last one was just at the moment I was about to cast off, finally ready to head out of the harbor. I wasn't too happy to delay just then.

So, I'm in Valdez so do I look up the CG Auxilary, or just contact the coast guard there and ask who does it?

capn Ron. If you go to this website and enter your info a VE should contact you about getting the inspection. If nobody contacts your or you don't hear anything back let me know and I'll get you in touch with somebody.

The Auxilary is all volunteer and some flotillas are more active then others. Also some flotillas don't have as many Vessel Examiners as others so the response can be slower in certain areas.

http://a170.uscgaux.info/d17_vsc_page.htm

If memory serves me correct, on the Coast Guard Auxilliary web site there is a checklist showing what the auxilliary will be looking for during their inspection. I suspect this is the same or similar checklist the Coast Guard would use if (when) you get boarded and inspected. For the last several years, with the exception of last year, I've had my boat inspected by the auxilliary and gotten the sticker that goes on the boat. Last year is when I got boarded and inspected. If you don't get the sticker, you're much more likely to be boarded.
    The only two times the auxilliary inspected my boat that everything wasn't ok was when one of my nav lights was out and when my batteries didn't have a cover. While they were there, they let me knock the corrosion off the light so that it worked and they let me take a trash bag and cover my batteries (so that any tools dropped on them wouldn't make contact with the pos and neg terminals). Then they checked those items off the list and I was good to go. You have nothing to lose by having the inspection. If you don't pass, they don't tell the Coast Guard or report you to anyone. You just don't get the sticker. But you can fix what they find wrong and then have them re-inspect later on.

Default I like being boarded

It's a tradition here in Juneau for me to not to have my boat inspected. Before I say anything further I do have my boat inspected every year first day out by the USCG. Call it good luck or the coasties just having a fascination for the boat but before even burning the the winterizing oil from the engines they seem to find me. I usually spot them in the distance from the USCG Liberty they have one of there 28 footers run up on me, we exchange cordial words and after the completion of the inspection, they hand me a computerized citation saying I'm in full compliance. I like the Coasties just not the beauracy and I'll really like the nervous types and being called sir. Tomorrow will be the first day of the season, I wait in anxious inticaption. Could year four, be another lucky year.

Default Hewey 260

Thanks for the link to the auxilary. I appreciate the checks, and much better to do it ahead than when I have destinations and other things on my mind. One thing I learned on the forums is that type 5 (inflatible) life vests don't count if you are not wearing them. I got checked while tied up, so I guess it was OK that we were not wearing them. When I am taking my family and friends out on the boat, it's great to know it's been checked and passed for safety...so thanks for being one of the people that does this. I'll let you know if I don't get a response from the link