Thread: Reel for 6-Weight

Default Reel for 6-Weight

I want a new reel for a TFO TiCr 6 weight rod and am looking at the Lamson Konic and Guru as well as the Ross CLA and Airius. I know the Konic has been getting good reviews for a budget conscious reel, and the CLA seems to be well regarded. I have not seen much about the newer Guru or Airius. What should I get? I appreciate everyone's experiences and recommendations.

Default Konic

I have a Konic on my 6wt, and I love it. It is has the same great drag system that all Lamsons have, but is cheaper because it is cast instead of machined. All of my reels are Lamson, and my wife uses all Ross. IMO, the Lamson is a little smoother, but both companies make great reels, and have good warranties and great customer service.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Default Thumbs up!

I would highy recomend the lamson's too. I have two lightspeeds and they are the smoothest and lightest reel's I have owned. For the price of the konics though you can find sales on the higher end Lamsons and be ahead in my opinion. Check out Ebay or do a search on the web. Sierra trading post had some deals a while back.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I have a Ross CLA 3 for my Sage 6 weight and love it. It's very smooth and the drag on it is great. I personally haven't tried the Lamson, but I would imagine you couldn't go wrong with either.

Fish ON!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I am leaning towards a Lamson. Would the size 2 be right, or should I go with the next bigger size? I might want to use a 7-weight line some times and am not sure the size 2 would work for that. The Guru comes in a size 3, but the Konic jumps to a 3.5, which might be too big. Any more thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

If your thinking you will need 7 weight line, I would go with the 3. The 3.5 is a bit large so it would not balance a 6 weight rod very well. If you can swing it find a velocity for a good deal. You will not regret it. Here is one one on ebay for $130

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-LAMSON-VELO...3A1%7C294%3A50

Somethings up with that ebay auction! I don't believe you will find a new 1st gen. Hard Alox Velocity 3 for $130. The pic is correct, but the description is for a Tibor. Even the pic below the auction is wrong! That is of the "New" 2nd generation Velocities, but with older model close-out pricing.....confusing. A close-out V3 should cost about $175-$190, which is about $100 below retail.

For the money the new GLoomis reel is very durable and a great choice for the money... No cork drag to worry about as w/ the Ross either and much much lighter..

I emailed the seller on ebay and he says it is for a V3. He got tired of other fly shops dumping these reels for cheap, so he decided to blow them out for a crazy good price and "SMUSH" the competition. That price is 50% off retail and a great deal.

I think that is about the best deal around right now. The drag on that reel is sweet! It is also very lightweight and very durable. Cant go wrong. If I didnt have the lightspeeds I would jump on it.