Thread: Instructional type Fly Fishing Salmon video's?

Default Instructional type Fly Fishing Salmon video's?

This might be a better place for this than the general fishing forum..

I'm looking for DVD's that would detail good techniques for fly fishing salmon, and how to go about fighting such larger fish in a river environment.

My Dads a life long fisherman, but his experience is largely MN lake fishing and Great Lakes fishing... He has been making summer trips to AK and his basic fly fishing technique is quite good, its the landing of larger specimens he's struggled with. He thinks seeing some guys with good technique would help, and it would make a good Fathers day gift.

I did look around for youtube videos I cold send him, but found very little of Alaska, and even the PNW salmon videos didn't do much to detail technique..

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Cheers!

I saw a dvd on Amazon, "Fly Fishing the Kenai River, Alaska - Big Fish, Big Attitude", but I have not seen it. Could be cheesey, not sure. But it reads like something like you are asking for.

If he doesn't have Troy Letherman and Tony Weaver's "Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska..." I would consider getting him that. It is my favorite book on flyfishing Alaska. Each chapter is about a species and it is very detailed. Life cycle, timing, tactics, flies, you name it. Just a great book. Also, it is a coffee table quality book. Hard bound and large size pages with incredible photographs. It is on the forum store in the fishing section and Amazon of course.

I have to ask, is he using enough rod/leader? You mention him losing large fish and I was curious. A stiffer rod and bumping the leader up would be worth considering if he is only losing bigger fish. Just a thought.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks, I will check out those recommendations..

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post

I have to ask, is he using enough rod/leader? You mention him losing large fish and I was curious. A stiffer rod and bumping the leader up would be worth considering if he is only losing bigger fish. Just a thought.

That is possible, and we had talked about it and do need to review some of the gear choice and setup too. That might be all he needs.