Thread: New Jig Design

Default New Jig Design

I want to make sure that everyone knows I'm not selling these on the forum, I'm just asking for input.

I've been making these jigs for myself for sometime and people have asked to purchase them. I originally took this to a retailer but they wanted to drive the price beyond what I thought was reasonable.

These jigs if I did decide to sell them come with a powder coat finish in various color's including glow like the the red and white, heavy duty barrel swivel, heavy duty split ring, 10/0 Mustand O'Shan hook or 15/0 Mustad circle hook and a 7 3/4 P-line Octopus Skirt. Great thing about the skirt is once it's worn out you can replace it or even add a second to make it look fuller. On the straight hook you can add a Grub tail like I've shown or a large shad.

They come in 12oz, 16oz and 20oz and I was thinking 12.00, 14.00 and 16.00 dollars. So, I guess what I'm asking is that reasonable or am I just wasting time.

Thanks for any input.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

might be in the right range. i try and get around a buck an ounce for mine depending on the labor i have involved. i do alot of foiling so i have lots of time into my jigs. see what the shops are charging and compare what you got to theres. hard to make any kind of profit making jigs from my experiance but i enjoy making them .

take a look at my homepage, if you see any jigs you like maybe we can swap molds for a couple days to add some variety to our collections.

Awesome jigs................those are going to be '''deckloaders'' fish on.....:d
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default Jigs

I have tried the circle hook on a weighted jig and it has never worked as good as the straight jig. The weight makes the circle hook not set right. maybe yours will work but i just did not have any luck with it. I tried regular circle hooks and circle hooks with the swivels on them.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default jigs and circles

i agree with the circles on jigs. circles are made for bait and the fish setting the hook upon themselves. jigging, the natural reaction is to SET the hook which dosent work with circle hooks. i am curious to the swing hook design with a jig that big as well. how does it work vs a hook poured into the jig head?

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply's and honesty.

The circle hooks are definitely designed to set them selves so I usually send those down while anchored with cut herring. As long as the folks fishing them don't try to set the hook like "Bill Dance jerking a bass out of a sewer pipe" they seem to work fine. They work pretty good jigging but it's a much more subtle jig and not so much of a jerk. Everyone knows if you jerk hard on a circle hook it just back's it self out.

The straight hook not set in the lead helps keep them hooked up. I don't know about you guys but I've had more large lings and halibut lost because they give just a little slack and the jig fall's out.

Do me a favor, send me a pm with your mailing address and I will send you guys two of each size to try. If you like them let me know and your friends or if you hate them let me know as well. I will send a "J" hook as well as a circle for each.

I will be leaving the Island today for the sportsman show so I will try and get up with you and Captdd next week.