Thread: Areas of AK to look at during next visit

Default Areas of AK to look at during next visit

I flew my cub around for a few months a couple years ago. N of Fairbanks in Brooks Range to Seward Penn to Anc to AK Penn back to Anc and then back to MN. I was only in Anc for a couple days at a time, so I only realy stayed out in small villages or remote hunting camps.

Never really got to drive around or explore possible places that I might actually consider living or places I might like to have a remote cabin to just hang out when I'm not working, or base hunting from, or base snowmobile outings from.

I am a farm kid from MN/Dakotas = flat as a table, hardly a tree in sight. Have always spent time in northern MN hunting and fishing. Love to take jeep out to Black Hills, Moab, or Co, Wy, Mt, Rockies camping and wheeling. Only snowmobile in Mt/Id anymore. Love to hunt big game in Dakotas, Co, Wy, Mt, Texas and hopefully many more times in AK.

Am thinking I would like to someday find a place I could drive or fly to. I am still single so I don't want to be way out there in some remote village area, gotta have a social life.

Any areas you think I should visit next time when I fly or drive up?

Thanks

To the top

Will probably fly cub up to Anchorage or Fairbanks in early Sept 2010 and buy a beater to get around. Will do some hunting and just explore different areas of the state. Any ex midwesterners have some suggestions?

I'm an ex flatlander, N. MN and Nebraska. I don't know much about the Fairbanks area but there is fun to be had in Thompson Pass. Kodiak is very scenic too and if you have a plane to get off the road system, some great hunting. Also Prince William Sound is gorgeous from the boat deck, I am sure it would be neat from the sky.

All of the S.E.

I'm a MN/Nodak boy myself-I've been in Dillingham for a while now. Alot of fun to be had around here-especially with a Cub. Wood Tikchik State Park would keep you buisy for a while and the rest of the area is fun to tramp around too.

KK

Get to Kodiak. It is one of the most beautiful places that I have ever seen. With a plane you can see so much of the island.
    In Southeast, if you get to Wrangel or Petersburg, boat or fly up the Stikine River, glaciers, hotsprings, it has it all.

SE - I don't know if I could handle not being able to drive or the amount of rain days.

You guys give up the mobility of vehicles easily after you moved up?

I can get any place I what to go from anywhere in the S.E.. Get a boat to go with your plane and you got it made. It don't rain bad everywhere in the S.E.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I can get any place I what to go from anywhere in the S.E.. Get a boat to go with your plane and you got it made. It don't rain bad everywhere in the S.E.
    Easy for you to say, you don't live in Ketchikan.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Easy for you to say, you don't live in Ketchikan.
    You don't get rain everyday.I know some days you get snow

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    You don't get rain everyday.I know some days you get snow
    Eventually it'll end up wet.