Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Generator For Boat

Default Small Generator For Boat

I just purchased a Bayliner 2858 with a buddy. (28 footer) Our families are going to spend time in PWS this summer. I heard from the previous owner that if you run the fridge or lights too long the batteries can run down overnight. He suggested a small generator to solve such problems.

Anyone use a small generator on their boat. If you do what kind and what arethe things you use it for?

Thanks in advance.

Default Honda eu 2000

I like the honda EU 2000. I will use it to charge my batteries, make coffee and mostly to power my George Foreman Grill I do not use the 12 volt output from the generator but rather plug the genrator into my shore power with an adapter I made and then power up a 20 amp smart charger for my batteries. This seems to work well for me and I can easliy store it in my boat and it is quiet.

Chuck

We donít use a generator but have heard from other boat owners who do the Honda 1kw and 2ks are quiet and reliable. These are boat owners down south who have air-conditioning and refrigerators.
    Thank goodness we donít have to deal with heat, and the free ice from Blackstone lasts days in the cooler
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Second the Honda EU2000. We have one on our boat and just plug it in to the shore power connection. Works great. Very easy to start, and runs pretty quiet. Mostly use it to charge the batteries after we've been hanging on the hook for a day or two.

I would find out why you are having a problem. Itís hard to believe a frigerator and lights would run your battery down overnight. You may have other problems that the owner did not know of. Old Weak battery, unknown battery drain, poor charging.

I would not recommend you use the generator with out using a separate battery charger. The reason is most generators that charge batteries donít generate a lot of dc current.

Default Honda EU2000

Third Amen for the Honda EU200. Can't beat it.
    Marc Theiler

If you get one, don't use it at night and make sure you thoroughly understand the potential dangers of carbon monoxide. I recommend you ask your question on
    http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/forum/
    There you will find several people who have your exact boat and can give you specific answers and advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I would find out why you are having a problem. Itís hard to believe a frigerator and lights would run your battery down overnight. You may have other problems that the owner did not know of. Old Weak battery, unknown battery drain, poor charging.
    Really depends on the power draws of the lights and refrigerator, and the number of amp hours available from the boat's batteries.

With my boat, I have two banks of deep-cycle house batteries. Each bank is rated at 80 amp hours, for a total of 160 amp hours. But since I don't like discharging my house batteries more than 50%, I really only have a total of around 80 amp hours available for use. With my refrigerator drawing around 2 amps, in a 24 hour period, that alone consumes 48 or more amp hours. Throw in lights--both interior lights and the anchor light--the VHF radio, the stereo, four or five flushes of the electric toilet, the water pump, power for the Webasto heater, and a few other odds and ends, and I've pretty much used up most of my available charge in less than 24 hours on the hook.

Also, strongly concur with the post about not running the generator at night, and being very mindful of the carbon monoxide the generator produces.

I agree with the Honda 2000. I just got one and have not used it alot but like it. I have been told by a few people that got the 1KW one wich they got the 2000. You may also want to look into upgrading your batteries. I can go about 4 days without starting my generator or main motor to charge my house batteries.

We have the same boat, a Bayliner 2858, and we use the Honda EU2000. Works beautifully. We start it in the evening when it gets cold and we retreat into the cabin. We open the transom door and point the exhaust out. You can easily secure it with bungees. It is effective, efficient, and quiet enough that you aren't bothered by the noise inside.

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I agree with the Honda 2000. I just got one and have not used it alot but like it. I have been told by a few people that got the 1KW one wich they got the 2000. You may also want to look into upgrading your batteries. I can go about 4 days without starting my generator or main motor to charge my house batteries.
    Four days?! That's pretty darn good. What size/how many house batteries have you got?

Default Batteries vs. Generator

I had a 26 Tolly with the small refer and a 38 Bayliner with a full size refer/freezer combo plus forced air heat. I could swing on the hook for a day easy running on one 8D house battery. Look into a high output alternator and upgrade your regulator to a 3-step. Much better and quieter than the gen set. I had a 7 kW gen set on the 38 by the way and hated to run it. If you can fit an 8D somewhere with proper switching, your neighbors at anchor will thank you and you'll rest a lot easier. You can get one at Sams pretty cheap and they last 3-4 years in my experience vs. the high priced gel cells a cheaper way to go. Be sure you have it in a ventilated place as the lead acid will give off hydrogen gas when charging.

Default I used the Honda 1000 EU....

for our cabin generator...12v light system, recharge batteries, cell phones, radios etc. So we don't put a lot of amp draw on it and we thing it is a great machine, we also used it running almost constantly to recharge cordless saws etc. to build the cabin. It is so quiet, fuel efficient, trouble free for over 5 years now. I guess we don't know that we missed something not getting the 2000!

I carry the Honda 2000 EU on my boat and love it!! Great for running the microwave, charging batteries if needed and powering my third back up emergency bilge pump (Little Giant) if needed.

Dave

I use a Honda 2000 plugged into my shore power, too. Set it to ecothrottle and you can hardly hear it. I did a little test to see if my CO detector worked. I placed the generator on the floor of my back deck and left the cabin door cracked about an inch. The detector went off in under a minute. When I run it off my extended transom, the detector never goes off. I second the recommendation about not running it while you sleep. It is never worth the risk of not waking up. If your house bank is not big enough to last you over night, I highly recommend you upgrade it. I am upgrading mine with four 6 volt deka agm's, hooked in series, then parallel. This should give 400+ amp hours total or abut 200 amp hours run down to 50%. This should be plenty.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by bhollis View Post
    Four days?! That's pretty darn good. What size/how many house batteries have you got?
    I have Excide GC145 6V deep cycle batteries. I am told that they are about 480 amp hours. Last time I was out I was not hooking up to shore power and on the 4th day my GPS started acting weird. With some debugging I found that I was down to 7 volts. It turns out the isolater was not working properly, and it took this long for the problem to show up.

Jim

Wink 110 volt pump

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    I carry the Honda 2000 EU on my boat and love it!! Great for running the microwave, charging batteries if needed and powering my third back up emergency bilge pump (Little Giant) if needed.

Dave
    Thanks for the slap on the head Bushboy. I have a saltwater aquarium with extra pumps. Never thought to take one to use with my EU 2000 as a backup.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll be looking for a generator this summer. We'll also look into increasing our battery storage capacity.

Default Power

The EU2000 is a quality choice for a boat or camping.It quite reliable and requires little maintenance and fuel. It is also very portable and can be used for camping as well. If you think this a little small there is a 3000 w model.
    If you decide to use a generator to charge batteries, purchase a seperate battery charger and bolt it in the battery compartment somewhere. The 12 volt charger on a Honda is 8 amps using the provided cables; this wastes lots of power you could be using for charging. In charge only mode, with the power running to a 12v battery charger it is capable of charging 40 amps with the load decressing as the batteries charge. If you plan on using 120 ac while you charge batteries try using a charger of about 20-25 amps. AND don't run it in the cabin as exhaust can be deadly.
    ENJOY the boat.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Yamaha, too

Don't overlook the Yamaha Generators. The Honda and Yamaha's are both top-notch, long lasting, extremely reliable, and very quiet.
    Really can't go wrong with either.

I have a 25 yr old Honda snowblower that starts first pull yr after yr, old gas, new gas- doesn't make a difference. -- it's so reliable I basically take it for granted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast