Thread: Duck Season

Default Duck Season

Does anyone know if this years Opening Day for ducks was changed to the 15 of Sept as opposed to the 1st, and will run through the 31st of Dec? A buddy of mine in Sitka mentioned to me that down there, the duck season will run from the 15th of Sep to 31 Dec. Can anyone confirm this or is this just a rumor?

Different parts of the state have different opening dates, but SE has typically been the same as the majority of the state.

In SE they may be thinking of moving the dates back to take advantage of the later season since birds will still be moving through at the end of December, and there will be mostly local birds in early September.

Default Makes sense

I just figured opening day was opening day. That works for me though since I usually fly down to Juneau in last week in Dec to hunt blacktails on Admiralty,...now I can hunt ducks if I choose to! Excellent.

Default Found the info

It was a BOG recommended change for 09/10 season and we won't know until the new regs are printed if it will be adopted. Most likely it will.

See page 3.

They also reduced the sea duck limits for unit 15C (homer).

talked to the wildlife guy here in juneau and it is going to be the 15th or 16th. I for one am excited about the prospect of chasing those late geese around.

There is a small group of us trying to get the PWS (maybe homer as well) sea duck season changed to later in the year. Shoot me an e-mail if anyone is interested in discussing it.

Angry K-Bay reduction

That K-Bay reduction is BS!!!! 2 sea ducks per day and 4 is possession?! Coming down from 10 with no more than 4 harlequin and 4 longtail. Come on! Trust me, there aren't that many duck hunters here. Argh...not happy right now...

That is a big difference. I didn't think the BOG set waterfowl bag limits, I thought that was the Feds. I do know from what I have learned about setting the season days there is quite a process to try and get them changed.