Thread: Point Wilson Dart

Default Point Wilson Dart

I have heard of people putting a slight bend in these to catch halibut and salmon. Then I saw a photo of one with a nice sized halibut attached. Does anybody else do this? And does it really help the jigging action? I have also heard they might break if you are not careful bending them. What's the best way to bend them?

I have caught 4 chickens with the darts, so I know they will work without the bend. Just trying to up the odds!

Default Well...

I have caught halibut, lings and other rock fish with them. They seem to work fine as is. They just don't come in a 16 to 24 oz. weight. Best way I have found to bend jigs/hooks, etc. is to put them in a vise and fit a crescent wrench to them and start pulling. A hammer is not very precise and I do think they could be broke.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

they work fine just the way they are. even porpises like to snatch them up .

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default fine as is...but

If your into heavey metal pickup some 24oz crippled herring slabs of iron and try those to.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Default Crippled herring

I actually have two 16 oz. crippled herring lures. One is white and the other is chrome with blue back. They seem too large. I'm only fishing in 200 feet of water and as far as I know, you want to use heavier lures to get deeper or the current is too strong. I've been okay using 8 oz. white darts with 65 lb. PowerPro in during the slack tide. I'll use the heavier ones if I go deeper. I have been collecting 'metal' for a while since I like jigging more than other fishing methods. My tackle box is feeling like a dumbell!

Can you buy these in stores or online only?
    What size and type recommendations for Rockfish vs. Halibut?
    Iím always looking for a different jig to try.
    Does anyone use the Super Scent Paste on jigs?

Thanks,
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

B&J should have a good selection, I have them in 3, 4 6 and 8 oz in various colors. They work great for salmon, rockfish, halibut...

Size is dependent on depth and tides, I usually go 3-4 oz for salmon and shallower rockfish, then 6 or 8 when dropping them past 15 fathoms.

Quote Originally Posted by stats View Post
    I actually have two 16 oz. crippled herring lures. One is white and the other is chrome with blue back. They seem too large. I'm only fishing in 200 feet of water and as far as I know, you want to use heavier lures to get deeper or the current is too strong. I've been okay using 8 oz. white darts with 65 lb. PowerPro in during the slack tide. I'll use the heavier ones if I go deeper. I have been collecting 'metal' for a while since I like jigging more than other fishing methods. My tackle box is feeling like a dumbell!
    If you like collecting "metal" then Paul H is spot on.
    B & J's has the best selection of jigs in Anch I have found. In the middle aisles (of the fishing lures) they have the Wilson Darts, Crippled Herrings, etc. If you go to the North wall they have a lot more jigs - mostly the newer (more $$$) Japanese style jigs. It'll drive you CRAZY.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default kudos

to b&js for thinking outside the big box community. i really like going in there and looking at there selection. they are willing to try new things and keep things up to date. if it were up to wal mart and sportsmans we would be fishing with pixies, vibraxes, mojos and no eqls forever. not to downplay these classics but its nice to have variety .