Thread: new to all this

Default new to all this

New to the whole bear hunting/baiting thing. so heres the questions, need to know if theres anywhere reasonably close to the anchorage/elemendoef area to start a bait site, ive already done the online course and everything. Just looking for some advise preferably within walking distance of the truck, seeing as i dont have an atv...thanks ahead of time for the advise

What do you consider to be "reasonably close"? If you're looking for something within an hour, you can mostly forget it. If you're willing to drive 3-4 hours, you could likely find yourself a good area to bait. You can also find spot-and-stalk locales closer.

Brian is right. Bait sites are suppose to be registered with fish and game. Go over to the office on Raspberry towards the end of may and take a look at their map. It would seem that the whole area around Anchorage is one huge bait station.

Default How close

How close depends on where you can get 1 mile away from any building capable of have people in it ( Workers, seasonal cabins, homes.....) You also have to be 1/4 mile away from any maintained trail, and 1/4 mile off of maintained roads.

Take a GPS with you and start marking distances. I don't know where over there in the most densest part of Alaska you could find a legal bait site.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default TRY

GMU 16 needs you ! It's eat up with bears. Save the state some bucks go get some. Good luck.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I am with Brian - spot and stalk along the road system south of Turnagain Arm. In some areas the fall season does not require recovery of the meat since the bears are eating fish and not edible. Don't take my word on that though check the regs for the area you are planing on hunting.

Pluses: Don't have to spend hundreds of miles driving from Anchorage out to your bait site every week feeding the bears. Don't have to deal with permits. Don't have to find bait materials (and spend money on them). Don't have to pull anything out of the woods if you don't get a bear.

Minuses: Having to put up with tourists stopping next to you and asking what you are looking at while glassing the hillside. The climb through the alders up the hillside to get on the bear. Bears walking off from the spot you first saw them by the time you get up there and you have no idea where they are now. Did I mention adlers on a hillside.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    I ... In some areas the fall season does not require recovery of the meat since the bears are eating fish and not edible. ...
    Please for give my ignorance, is the meat from brown bears that primarily feed on fish not tasty compared with those eating berries?

Default Marinehawk

Most folks do not eat the meat from a brownie/grizz regardless of what it has been feeding on. Blackies however are delicious if feeding on berries, but not fish.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Most folks do not eat the meat from a brownie/grizz regardless of what it has been feeding on. Blackies however are delicious if feeding on berries, but not fish.
    BK
    Thanks for the info.

I have an older Alaska Game Cookbook. It has a lot of good recipes in it. It does not, however, have a single black bear recipe but does have several brown/grizzly recipes.

That being said, spring black bear, especially the first couple of weeks out of the den, it pretty good. I have not eaten fall black bear, never shot one.