Thread: Shrimp Pellets?

Default Shrimp Pellets?

I don't know the brand name of this stuff but I've heard good things about it. I guess it basically looks like dog food and I think they sell it at Westmarine. My questions are:

Is it worth the cost when compared to other traditional baits?
    How long does this stuff last in a pot?
    How much of it do you put in a pot?
    Do you mix it with other, tougher baits like salmon bellies, etc. so that you don't lose the scent trail if the pellets wash away?

I'm starting to get hyped-up about shrimping and look forward to your advice. Thanks.

Dave

Default Ace of Bait.

Buy stuff down here in SE called Ace of Bait. It's running about $60 for an 80lb bag. I usually fill my bait cups half full with it and if I have them, hang a salmon or blackcod head in there two. Usually longline 10 pots and haul them every 4 to 6 hours. The Ace of Bait is usually good for up to a couple days of hauling an soaking. They also sell a fish oil made by the same company that you can "juice" it up with but it make a big mess. Over the years I've used herring, cod heads, salmon heads, cat food, fake bait, real bait, octopus, squid, you name it. I've found they eat anything, you just have to find them to get them onto it. Good luck!!

west marine does not carry any bait of any kind, so don't go there for it. Donaldsons sells a type of pellets i beleive. We fill the bait jars about half, maybe only a quarter full, and then pour some herring oil in there with it. The oil gets the scent out right away, while the pellets last a real long time for the shrimp to eat while in the traps.

Steve da potbuilder aka (potbuilder) sells this stuff called shrimp crack. Talking to a few folks and his recommendation it's the "cats meow" so I'm going to pick some up from him at the sportsmans show. If you PM him he would be more than happy to answer all your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ken210 View Post
    Steve da potbuilder aka (potbuilder) sells this stuff called shrimp crack. Talking to a few folks and his recommendation it's the "cats meow" so I'm going to pick some up from him at the sportsmans show. If you PM him he would be more than happy to answer all your questions.
    Thats just what i call it(shrimp crack) but the name on the bucket is "Super Bait" and its specially formulated for shrimp. I've tried many of my bait tricks from my lobsterin' days and this stuff beat all of them by a long shot. I wouldn't spend money on additional oil in my humble opinion it doesn't need it. I'll have a stack of buckets at the show this weekend. Come and get it

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I had to buy some Ace of baits since I ran out of Potbuilders "Shrimp Crack" and didn't have a chance to pick some up before I left town. Hands down Potbuilders stuff outfished the Ace of Baits, especially on the short soaks. Do like Steve says and save yourself the time, effort and get more shrimp and buy shrimp crack and don't just buy the little bucket. Get the big one because you're going to like it and the big one will last you all summer. The little one will run out half way through and you'll be stuck using something else and then mad because you came home with less shrimp.

Thumbs up Superbait is the ticket

I fill 1 plastic pint water bottle per shrimp pot. Have fished it for 3 to 4 days. Its some real stinky stuff and works! Plus its easy. Get ahold of Potbuilder.

Is "Super Bait" not the same as "Ace of baits"? I googled Super Bait and it came back with the Ace Of Baits product. I am looking to get some before heading north. Was going to pick-up a bag of Ace Of Baits in Victoria when I clear customs but I want to get some good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Thats just what i call it(shrimp crack) but the name on the bucket is "Super Bait" and its specially formulated for shrimp. I've tried many of my bait tricks from my lobsterin' days and this stuff beat all of them by a long shot. I wouldn't spend money on additional oil in my humble opinion it doesn't need it. I'll have a stack of buckets at the show this weekend. Come and get it
    SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, Steve do you want the DEA to arrest you for being a CRACK DEALER?? ?? ??

Default how much for a bucket ?

Probably need to pick up a big bucket - and some rope...floating rope. See you on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by macushlah View Post
    Is "Super Bait" not the same as "Ace of baits"? I googled Super Bait and it came back with the Ace Of Baits product. I am looking to get some before heading north. Was going to pick-up a bag of Ace Of Baits in Victoria when I clear customs but I want to get some good stuff
    Not the same stuff.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default About that shrimp pot limit....

Quote Originally Posted by Xtratuffs View Post
    Buy stuff down here in SE called Ace of Bait. It's running about $60 for an 80lb bag. I usually fill my bait cups half full with it and if I have them, hang a salmon or blackcod head in there two. Usually longline 10 pots and haul them every 4 to 6 hours. The Ace of Bait is usually good for up to a couple days of hauling an soaking. They also sell a fish oil made by the same company that you can "juice" it up with but it make a big mess. Over the years I've used herring, cod heads, salmon heads, cat food, fake bait, real bait, octopus, squid, you name it. I've found they eat anything, you just have to find them to get them onto it. Good luck!!

I believe the pot limit is 5 per person and max of 5 on a boat

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    I believe the pot limit is 5 per person and max of 5 on a boat
    The lucky folks in SE get 10 pots.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Friskies Dry Cat Food With Herring Oil

Friskies Dry Cat Food with a little herring oil mixed in is about the best I have found for the money. Sometimes if your on a real hot spot throw in a can of tuna fish packed in oil and a few salmon heads.
    Don't skimp on the cost and buy some bait jars.
    Last edited by akfishnut; 04-02-2009 at 23:28. Reason: spelling
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

My greatest success has been stuffing bait containers half and half with dried catfood and cut herring. Drill very small holes in the bait container; too large and the sea lice with make short work of the herring.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    The lucky folks in SE get 10 pots.

Not only do the lucky SE shrimpers get 10 pots each, they also get up to 20 pots per vessel. That's just for shrimp. Then add the crab pots. Lucky Lucky Lucky.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...Eshellfish.pdf