Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question.....

Default Question.....

Just bought a Remington 700XCR in .338wm. I was wondering, is it to much for blacktail? I mean, if I load it down, is it still to much?

Naw!!!It should kill it.

Default 338 will work fine

Where do you plan on hunting Blacktail? You could go to Montague or Kodiak and hunt deer with a 270...but you'll sleep better at night if you take that 338 .

Ideally a smaller caliber would be better. But, if you are comfortable with that 338 than use it, if you want to avoid wasting too much meat, avoid hitting the deer in the shoulder.

I use a 375 H&H for everything up here.

Default Headed to Kodiak.

Love the gun and the way it shoots. Just not sure which gun to bring with me. 30.06 or 45/70 or .338? Hate these kind of decisions!!!

Default 338

I use mine all the time here in Wi for deer hunting and I dont load them down... 225 grain nosler works great for shooting does here...and bucks too... Good Luck

Default Nah...

it's too small! you need a 90mm recoiless rifle for blacktails! them suckers are HUGE! & boy are they tough! I used a LAW on one of them back in '99, he just looked at me, gave me the hoof & laughed all the way to the next valley...

.338 big enough? HMPH!

Default Defense

I don't know where you are hunting but lots of blacktail country is also brown bear country and, yes, I know a 270 will kill a bear but there is also the (slight) possibility that you might need to stop a bear. There is a difference, you know.

The 338 is more rifle than needed for blacktails but one of my friends keeps saying "There is no such thing as too dead". I agree and there is always the possibility of a brownie. So take your 338 deer hunting - my opinion.

Your 338 will be more then fine. If you handload it can be even better. Load up some 250gr Partitions and rock on. If you dont,any of the factory loads 225gr and up will work good and not destroy too much meat. If you go with the lighter loads below 225gr you will run the chance of ruining alot more meat then you want too.
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

Thumbs down Hmmm...

What's wrong with a .243 with a .44 side arm???

Blacktails aren't that large, & a .338 will make a mess of meat, of which there isn't that much to begin with, compared to a .338 size game animal, like a brownie, or a moose...

.338 is TOO much...

Magnumitis...come on people...get over it...

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    What's wrong with a .243 with a .44 side arm???

Blacktails aren't that large, & a .338 will make a mess of meat, of which there isn't that much to begin with, compared to a .338 size game animal, like a brownie, or a moose...

.338 is TOO much...

Magnumitis...come on people...get over it...

I agree with that as well, but thats not what he was asking.

He wanted to know if his 338 would be enough,which we are all in agreement in saying that it is, maybe a little overkill but it will work
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

Quote Originally Posted by tjkanavel View Post
    I agree with that as well, but thats not what he was asking.

He wanted to know if his 338 would be enough,which we are all in agreement in saying that it is, maybe a little overkill but it will work
    Well...actually he was asking if the .338 wuold be too much, not if it would be enough.

Goalie - unless someone has practiced a lot and is very proficient with a handgun like a .44 mag, they're better off with the rifle they're accustomed to shooting, at least IMO. This guy sounds like he enjoys shooting the .338, is familiar with it - unless he's an expert with a handgun, the .338 would probbely serve him better.

Dude - take your .338 and enjoy the trip!

Its only to much if your sure nothing will try to take the deer from you.It will only ruin meat if you hit the meaty parts,not much meat in the heart/lung area and your bullets will past through quick.

Default meat damage

I don't think a .338 will necessarily destroy any more meat than a smaller caliber. There are too many variables that go into it to say without a doubt that you'd be better off with a smaller gun if you want to avoid destroying meat. I'm with tjkanavel: get some 250 grain Partitions or something similar and go hunting. They will reliably kill a deer without "blowing up" and destroying meat--should just punch straight through. They will also kill a bear if needed.

Mdhunter also brings up a good point. You have to be very, very good with a handgun for it to be effective bear defense. I always figured my .44 was useful to either scare off a bear before he got me (due to the loud noise), or to shoot him off of me after he hit me (if I was still alive). I doubt I could take one out if he was charging me. I'm fairly decent with a handgun, at least the Army and Air Force told me I was, but when that fuzzy freight train is coming at you full speed, I bet there are very few people who could reliably make the shot with a handgun.

Default .338 for sure!

I would bring the .338 for sure. I usually carry a 25-06 for deer. I love the gun and is a tack driving machine. I have second thought carrying it in Kodiak. Last fall I started carrying my .338 win mag instead. I shot a nice blacktail last fall in Kodiak with the .338 and nosler 250 grain partitions. Did not make a mess of ruin any more meat than my 25-06. I went out two days later with brother in law looking for more deer and ran into a bear and met face to face at six yards and put one under the chin and one broadside in him. He went 15 yards and was dead. I will not carry anything less in Kodiak again!

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    ... Last fall I started carrying my .338 win mag instead. I shot a nice blacktail last fall in Kodiak with the .338 and nosler 250 grain partitions. Did not make a mess of ruin any more meat than my 25-06. ...
    I think it's velocity that tends to destroy meat more than anything else. For example, the slow-moving 12 gauge slugs I've killed deer with will make a large, laser-like hole through a deer without much disturbing the meat next to the bullet path, but my 300 Win Mag will create some hamburger-like meat with the tissue fairly close to the permanent hole in the animal (this also makes sense as a matter of physics). In my opinion, the 300 Mag with 180gr bullets going 2960 fps still does not usually destroy enough meat to make much difference.

.338 factory loads have the 225gr-250gr bullets only going from 2,660-2,800 fps out of the muzzle, which is less than most 30-06 and .308 factory loads and less than all .270 factory loads. IMO, those heavy .338 loads will not destroy significantly, if any, more meat than your (the OP's) 30-06 or 45/70.

I'll go out on a limb and say that if you shoot a deer with a 225 or 250 grainer from a 338, you'll ruin less meat with a shoulder shot than you would with a 270.

I have a .30-06 with 150 grain Barnes X and they made a huge mess on a deer I shot. However, my dads .375 H&H magnum with 270 grain Barnes X bullets did not make a huge mess on a blacktail he shot.

Take that .338, if it makes a mess, so be it. If it kills a brownie when you need it to, you'll be thankful that a little wasted meat is the least of your problems.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thumbs up .338 for deer

Quote Originally Posted by rivense View Post
    Just bought a Remington 700XCR in .338wm. I was wondering, is it to much for blacktail? I mean, if I load it down, is it still to much?
    I say go for it! I have used my 338 for blacktail several times. Since they're smaller than moose and caribou, I generally "try" for a neck shot. It drops 'em faster than lightning with minimal damage. If you hit the shoulders and get some bones, yep, chunks can be a flyin'! BUT NOT ALWAYS! Either way, the 338 was all I had for years and since it shot the 250 grainers the best, that was all I hunted with. It will kill a deer (any deer) effortlessly. If you can handload heavy bullets at a slower speed, that would flatten' em pretty good too without the damage, kinda like a 45-70. It won't be like some lightweight-uber-magnum-highspeed-missiles launched at mach 4! Oh yah, a 270 works beautifully..... My .02...

From my personal experience on Caribou I found that my .308 with 180 grain Nosler on a broadside lung shot caused at least 50-65% more percussion damage to the rib cage than my .338 with 225 grain Nosler partition. The .338 is so much faster, it causes less damage. After being followed by a 8-9 foot Toklat Grizzly for 2 miles with just my .308 I will never go afield with my .338
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I have a .30-06 with 150 grain Barnes X and they made a huge mess on a deer I shot. However, my dads .375 H&H magnum with 270 grain Barnes X bullets did not make a huge mess on a blacktail he shot.
    Yep. Makes sense.

150gr 30-06 = 2,910 fps
    270gr 375 H&H - 2,690 fps

Speed destroys meat. Not big calibers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast