Thread: Need info on rifle primers asap

Default Need info on rifle primers asap

I think I may have found a "fair deal" considering the shortage of large rifle primers. I am getting set up to reload rifle for 7mm-08 I have 8# Varget and now have a chance to get the Winchester large rifle primers and the CCI my question for the experts is which is more reliable? Especially in cold weather as this is about hunting for me. I am assuming the Federal, Winchester and CCI are all about the same with Varget or not?

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    I think I may have found a "fair deal" considering the shortage of large rifle primers. I am getting set up to reload rifle for 7mm-08 I have 8# Varget and now have a chance to get the Winchester large rifle primers and the CCI my question for the experts is which is more reliable? Especially in cold weather as this is about hunting for me. I am assuming the Federal, Winchester and CCI are all about the same with Varget or not?
    I would rank them CCI and Winchester close 1st and 2nd then a distant 3rd would be Federal. I have never used Varget but that should not matter as to brand.

Andy

I've used them all, Winchester / CCI / Federal, at one time or another and can't find any difference in them. I'm sure there is some differences but they have all been reliable for me.

Dan

appreciate the info guys

I only use CCI primers. I have loaded many .223 with Varget and CCI. Never had a problem.

Winchester and CCI both work fine with Varget. I find the Winchester a little hotter than standard CCI and a littler less so than Magnum CCI. But in the '08 class it isn't going to matter. If you're talking .375 H&H then maybe there might be a difference.