Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burbot updates anyone?

Default Burbot updates anyone?

Burbot fishing has been getting slower as the water has gotten colder..... Any explenations? I thought the colder the better. Anyone have an idea on how to change it up a bit? Any one catching any yet????? Good luck to those who are still out trying or getting ready to.

Unhappy

In the Anchorage area, a co-worker mentioned that he saw a strange sight at Jim Creek about a month ago.

He and a couple of strangers were tossing lures in an attempt to entice a few remaining silvers into the cooler. Evidently, the guys fishing nearby caught some ugly brown fish that they couldn't identify, so the anglers opted to turned them loose. My buddy was too far away to get a good look, but figured that the unknown species were burbot.

My friend had one strike, but never got a look at the culprit.

Anybody else ever encounter these critters in the Knik River?

Default More Burbot

I know there has to be more burbot fisherman out there.

Default Burbot in Knik river

Im guessing they were indeed burbot. If it were me I'd throw back the silvers and keep the burbot! Best tasting fish up here after ling cod.

I've caught them in late October in the Yentna, Susitna systems while fishing for trout and they have been aggressive toward hardware. Other than that I dont usually bother until early spring with sets out on a lake somewhere.

i will let you know about the burbot once the lakes freeze over. this is when i catch my burbot. vance

I never had burbot before. How does it compare to halibut?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat View Post
    .......Anybody else ever encounter these critters in the Knik River?
    They're there. Not in big numbers, but they're there.

Just me, but I dont care much for halibut when compared to other really fresh caught fish. Burbot has a mild flavor, white delicate flesh, and is excellent when prepared with a panko coating, or baked with lemon and butter. Superb!

But that's just me. I also much prefer pike to halibut.

Wink Burbot flavor

Simply put, you won't get a better tasting white meat fish than burbot. The downside is that the smaller ones have a small amount of meat relatively speaking; the body mass physiologically is similar to a catfish. And as bottom feeders they do tend to be slimy/mucky but if you wash em' down the skin is actually some of the best eating you can have-pan fried. Other than that, deep fried the're better than halibut (sweeter), or essentially the same quality as fresh ling or properely handled Northerns.

This is my opinion only, but I'll add that I was raised on halibut up here. Eat em' up!!!

Default Ice fishing for them

My grandpa used to catch them in the Big Su through the ice. I was wondering if anyone new a good spot to try this and if so what technique.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I never had burbot before. How does it compare to halibut?
    Better than Halibut IMOP! I fish burbot at " BURBOT NO NAME LAKE" and he hammer them. Have not been out yet this year but as soon as the snow get's better we will be heading to "BURBOT NO NAME LAKE". :-)

If you have a snowmachine, you can catch all you want, averaging 3 lbs at Larson Lake. It is out of Talkeetna and the trail goes right to the lake. I have seen one taken by a gal at the west end of the lake that went at least 12 lbs. She said they have caught larger ones in the past. That was last winter. In summer, you can access it by atv, and there are a couple of boats left up there by the locals, that everyone uses. I don't know or even if you need permission to use the boats or canoes. Sort of like they are stashed at the east end of the lake and all use them. They fish pretty deep for them, and right on the bottom.

Bearslayer, I have not been out for burbot this year yet. I'm a little leary of the river ice right now. I am usually on iceshanty.com and have been checking the elpout area to see if anyone has posted there or in the Alaska area. Fishermanjake on IS is a big burbot guy and lives in Fairbanks, he usually fishes down by the marina area. If you want to go let me know or Pm me on IS and we will get some people together.

where would one burbot fish?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

creek/river confluences, deep holes in rivers or on a lake. And a average 3lb burbot is not worth messin with, not enough meat and in most places a 3lb burbot is not legal. Not sure of the weight but we found a place couple years ago and we kept our limit of fish in the 24" to 39" range, est on weight,,,, 6-12,13 lbs, all nice fish. We need some snow, i'm itchen to go!

You can catch Burbot in Big Lake as well, though I will not point out specifically where

Default Burbot

I havn't been out yet. I want to but I don't trust the ice in my hole yet. I'm just waiting for the river ice to get a bit thicker.

Default big lake?

hi Tom! Isn't big lake a non-bait lake? How do you catch burbot w/o bait? I fish big lake more than most lakes around here, and would love to catch some burbot as well as some char. I won't tell you where I put my shack either! But if you could give me some hints I'd appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    hi Tom! Isn't big lake a non-bait lake? How do you catch burbot w/o bait? I fish big lake more than most lakes around here, and would love to catch some burbot as well as some char. I won't tell you where I put my shack either! But if you could give me some hints I'd appreciate it!
    I won't tell you where on BL, but the bigger the jig the better. 6" long krock's work well, big red eyes. Jig em' on the bottom.

Hah! I see no one else is divulging the secret locations. Brownsfan, you are correct there is no bait allowed but burbot can be caught regardless. As far as char go, if you haven't caught one after an hour you should probably move your shack as they are quite easy to catch on big lake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast