Thread: thinkin' about taking the Savage Moose hunting...

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default thinkin' about taking the Savage Moose hunting...

Yes, I have a BIG gun for my moose hunting.

I was just thinking of the "romance" of the Ol' 99 up in Moose camp.

It seems that I shouldn't push the pressures too hard... although I have made up loads that will just squeek past the factory loads for the 308 Win.
    The rifle is a special one, so my goal isn't to load it to the "hilt." I am thinking about what bullet to use. We'll be calling this time, but the last bull I shot was standing about 300 yards away, so... I need performance from muzzle to 300 yards.

What bullet has proven itself at 300 sav. velocities for the Moose ?
    I've thought of the various 165's, (swift,nosler,barnes) as they seem to be the best compromise for trajectory and momentum.

Thoughts..?
    Thanks, Scott

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

I just noticed that I left out the specifics. The 99 Savage is chambered in 300 Savage. Just thought I'd avoid the "assumptions."

Thanks again, Scott

Default 300 savage

The 300 savage will have NO problems with a moose. IF I were going to load for the venerable old 300, I would choose a 165 gr Remington Core-Lokt. The velocity of the 300 will allow for good expansion of the Core-lokt without the problems inherent in "high velocity" rifles. The core-lokt may self destruct at 3000 fps and close ranges but at 2500 or so it will work excellent. The Core-Lokt also tends to be very accurate especially for the first 200 yds; plus it's pretty inexpensive.
    The more modern bullets (TSX, NP,AB, Swift,TBBC) tend to be for higher velocity rifles and that's where the get their expansion.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I'm with brav01 on this. The rem corelokt is an excellent bullet up to say 2800fps and still expands nicely down to about 1600fps. A lot of the fancy bullets don't expand well a low velocity and should be left to the whiz bang magnums. Also, moose aren't that hard to kill. A lung shot and wait just a bit and down they go. For faster results, put one through the front shoulders and down they go. Messes up a little meat, but fast results. A 165gr should be about right for the 300Sav. You just don't need the latest whiz bang mag. The 300Sav has worked fine for a long time and moose haven't changed much either. I hunt with an old 30Super (300H&H) and am quite happy with it.