Thread: Sheep Hunting Information requested from - Non-Residents

Default Sheep Hunting Information requested from - Non-Residents

I'm planning a 2010 sheep hunt and interested in any information that non-resident sheep hunters can share on their hunt (location, guide, etc). A PM would be appreciated. Many thanks.

go to the brooks range, let the guys up there fly around and spot you a sheep, high success, high dollar. or try paul claus over in the wrangells, one of the last great sheep areas in alaska, terry overly is another guy that pounds some serious numbers of sheep, he too is in the wrangells.
    as you know depends on what kinda hunt your looking for....lots of clients, lots of planes or smaller operation, fewer clients more of a hunt...money talks on sheep hunts.

i know i'm not a non res but thought i'd offer some tips...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

or you could just book a hunt with BRWNBR....you will get honesty and integrity, be treated like a genuine friend, and pursue those sheep the old-fashioned way.....many on this forum can vouch for his ethics, dedication, hard work, and quality of his hunts....his name is Jake Jefferson of Black River Hunting Camps.

Default Just gathering information

Thanks for info BRNBWR.

I understand the substantial challenge of sheep hunting from magazine articles that I've read and outdoor shows that I've watched last year. I'm basically back to starting from scratch. My preference is 1:1 guided 10-day hunt. Alaska is a great state and I've enjoyed the hunting there and the people I've met along the way.

Wish you success, peace this year on your hunts.
    Philemon 1:3

Default I'll second the nomination...

Ya owe it to yourself to at least call Jake, aka brwnbr here on the forum.
    At the Anchorage Big Game Commercial Services Board meeting we were bragging to each other. He showed me some very impressive ram kill hero shots. At that time he had a 2010 spot open, I think.

I have talked with a couple of his prior clients and they say nothing but great stuff about his bears, sheep, hunting style and work ethic.

In his post above, he mentioned Clause and Overly, who are fine. I believe our brother brwnbr was being a 'lil modest by not selling himself. Anyway, I think enough of him to recommend him before myself!

Take care of him by showing up in great condition with the right stuff, and he will-I believe- work his butt off for you. He seems to get a super high percentage of repeat client-hunters, if that tells ya anything...and it should.

Contact him AT THIS LINK.
    But contact him soon 'cause he is heading out of town for the early spring brown bear thing.

And, Yo, Jake...quit selling Clause. His success isn't what ya think and his clients never really even meet him, the guide-outfitter. And Overlys rams are smallish.

...just my opinion...

Dennis
    Alaska True Adventure Guide Service
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 03-31-2009 at 22:43. Reason: fixed link per user request

lol thanks guys, dennis, thats jake jacobsons web sight...lol
    i'm www.blackriverhunting.com
    TXHORN, you could do a sheep hunt with dennis as well, he's a small time outfitter who takes care of each of his clients as well. got a nice pic of a nice ram in the last APHA mag...he's kinda ugly and complians alot but other than that i'd hunt with him!

ya i know claus, he's a good guy. but all those guide outfitters don't know their clients and they don't know their outfitter...i think i might just sold my 2010 sheep hunt to kimber....we'll see "checks in the mail"...
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    go to the brooks range, let the guys up there fly around and spot you a sheep, high success, high dollar. or try paul claus over in the wrangells, one of the last great sheep areas in alaska, terry overly is another guy that pounds some serious numbers of sheep, he too is in the wrangells.
    as you know depends on what kinda hunt your looking for....lots of clients, lots of planes or smaller operation, fewer clients more of a hunt...money talks on sheep hunts.

i know i'm not a non res but thought i'd offer some tips...
    ?. Is it your "position" that all of the "guys" (guides) in the Brooks Range fly around and spot sheep for their clients? That is even more absurd than my suggesting that all the guides in "13" are averaging just over 19 inches for skull size for sows and and that their clients are killing sows at a rate of just under 70 percent.
    I don't know of a single area of this state that does not have some guides (and resident) hunters that use an aircraft for "spotting". Certainly varies from area - just don't paint such areas as large as the "Brooks" with such a broad brush.
    Joe (Ak).

Default Dang-it!

Jake...TX Horn Hunter...

I can not believe I copied down the wrong contact info for Forum member Jake aka BRWNBR. Working in a hurry will cause booboos every time.

Jake aka BRWNBR !!!!!
    www.blackriverhunting.com
    jake@blackriverhunting.com

Mr Want,

You and yours have accounted for two or three or four hundred happy ram hunters in the past. Should the TX guys contact you? Or do you have any great suggestions for them in their pursuit of the ultimate sheep hunt?

Dennis
    AK TAGS

easy joe...didn't say your name, didn't say it was just the brooks. Big outfitt that comes up everytime the brooks are mentioned is one i was thinking of but i'm pretty sure i can't just fire off names on here...
    might wanna step back and take a breath...no ones doggin' you. sometimes the forum gets a little misconstrued and we all need a spring bear season to mellow out. no offense meant on the post, i know guys in 13 who fly, unit 11 who fly, unit 19 who fly for sheep, unit 20...the list goes on...i know guys in unit 13 shooting tiny bears, i know guys on kodiak shooting tiny bears...sorry that the broad brush came out and you felt it...didn't mean it that way.
    have a good season enjoy the spring.
    Master guide 212

easy joe...didn't say your name, didn't say it was just the brooks. Big outfitt that comes up everytime the brooks are mentioned is one i was thinking of but i'm pretty sure i can't just fire off names on here...
    might wanna step back and take a breath...no ones doggin' you. sometimes the forum gets a little misconstrued and we all need a spring bear season to mellow out. no offense meant on the post, i know guys in 13 who fly, unit 11 who fly, unit 19 who fly for sheep, unit 20...the list goes on...i know guys in unit 13 shooting tiny bears, i know guys on kodiak shooting tiny bears...sorry that the broad brush came out and you felt it...didn't mean it that way.
    have a good season enjoy the spring.
    Has nothing to with "me". It does have to with the general statement about guides in the Brooks Range (or any other Range) for that matter.
    Some in this industry struggle enough with trying to do with what is right for both the resource and the clients they try to serve without having to deal with irresponsible statements.
    As far as "tiny bear", as long as the guide has the ability to advise the client the animal he/she is about to harvest is a two or three year old sow weighting less than 200 and in some areas closer to 150 that is their choice. Unfortunately, all too often that has not been the case.
    Has nothing to do with having a "spring hunt" for mellowing out, doe have to do with posting responsible information.
    Joe (Ak)

Lightbulb forum fun

Joe...it's a fun forum. Have some.

So who do you recommend?
    Our TXHornHunter is waiting for your sage contribution and advise.

Dennis

Default Thumbs up for

Dennis and Jake. I don't know Jake personally, but from what I know, he would be a guy I would want to hunt with. And Dennis, well I know him personally and would hunt with him any day. Especially after I saw how much food he packs in on a sheep hunt!

I don't think Jake was painting anyone with a broad brush. He's right. Every time guided sheep hunting comes up someone on here will throw out the name of a big outfit in the Brooks. Jake knows and so do all of us that not every guide or resident hunter is participating in sheep hunting with heavy airborne support. In the area I'm hunting right now we probably only saw two airplanes in the first week of last season and they were high flying navajos, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    And, Yo, Jake...quit selling Clause. His success isn't what ya think and his clients never really even meet him, the guide-outfitter. And Overlys rams are smallish.
    Aren't most of Claus's big rams taken on subsistence hunts in the hard park? I think I saw a 43"er taken by his young daughter last year. I agree that Overly usually does not get big rams, but he takes nearly 20 a year. He sure hunts a beautiful area. I think nearly every other picture on the cover of Sports Afield has come from that one hunt that Ron Spomer or Bob Robb did with him.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Jake...TX Horn Hunter...
    "....Mr Want,
    You and yours have accounted for two or three or four hundred happy ram hunters in the past. Should the TX guys contact you? Or do you have any great suggestions for them in their pursuit of the ultimate sheep hunt?
    Dennis
    AK TAGS
    Dennis
    Well, at least from what I read, there is not enough information as to the what type of hunt or what his "trophy" expectations are to make any sort of recommendation. Using bears as an example; if he really wanted to shoot sow I'd, from the trophy standpoint, look for a guide that shoots only sows; if size, sex or maturity was not a concern than a guide with twelve or thirteen sealed bears "under his belt" that had a record of harvesting sows (in that unit) at about seventy percent; at least four of which were only two years old; several with 15.5 inch skulls (length and width added together, those measurements were NOT "diagonal"), this guide might be just the "ticket".
    Just saying that to recommend a "sheep guide" as with bears or any other hunt - a lot more information in needed.
    Joe (Ak)

Lightbulb Good points...

All good points Joe.

Perhaps TXHornHunter could invest a few more moments and describe what he views as desired hunting, sheep hunting, goals or values.

Yo TX, we measure sheep horn length around the outer edge of the curl, from the front tip of the horn base to the furthermost tip of the horn. Never ever diagnal! You will not need to be concerned with sow-sheep or boar-sheep. Your looking for a ram.

Hopefully, some of us or some "non-resident" forum members can help guide you toward your ram guide.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Default 2007

TX,

I had a great hunt in 07 with a small outfitter. All 3 of us on the the early hunt got nice rams out of different spike camps. The outfitter does his own flying, and its a beautiful area in the Alaska Range.

Pm me if want more details !

Good luck with your research. Ask alot of questions, because a guided sheep hunt is often a one time deal !

Default Try..

Matt Synder located in Tok. His mother and step father (Sue and Frank Entsminger) have been hunting in the area forever and are QUALITY people!