Thread: Any Help??

Default Any Help??

I am just throwing this out to anyone who is planning on doing a spring hunt that needs some assistance. I can carry equipment, drive a vehicle, or set up camp. I am not looking to carry a gun or hunt on the trip just want to help out and learn some tricks to the trade. I don't care about the type of game either.

I am new to the state and have hunting experience in the lower 48, but not quite Alaska ready. I will not be a resident until June, do not want to pay an out of state license, but am very eager to get out and experience hunting in the great state. I would be willing to join a group, carry extra weight, cook, whatever is needed in exchange for hunting knowledge. Not looking for a bank buster fly in trip, something off the road system is just fine. Due to work I am pretty restricted on time. Simply extended weekend hunts until end of May. If you have space and need some help I am more than eager.

Thanks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Hey thats a great offer. so how about some hunter dinamics...

What shape are you in
    age..??
    size...?

packable weight?

smoker?

drinker?

snore?

fart?

and if it turns broke back mountian.... would you tell any one????

I think that is most the questions you'll be asked..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

WHOA! Easy there big boy.. there are children reading this!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Hey thats a great offer. so how about some hunter dinamics...

What shape are you in
    age..??
    size...?

packable weight?

smoker?

drinker?

snore?

fart?

No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Default Whoa

Now twice!!
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Default How much time?

I am doing a hunting trip from Palmer/Anchorage area to whittier (PWS) for black bear the end of May. The boat carrys the weight, but uses gas, If your looking to to along and see some awsome countryside, bears, seals, otters, whales, and lots of moutains and snow.. shoot me a PM. Why not spend the 85 bucks for a NR license and 225 for a BB tag.. Thats under 350 bucks and you can even shoot a 6 foot or better black bear too.. Its not a slam dunk hunt, but chance of sucess is 95% or better..Only expense would be Sharing the cost of Fuel, Boat launch, tunnel fee and parking fee.. Probably about 200 or less..

Hoytguy

There must be a way to make this work....and maybe on an even broader scale.....I don't know how, but there must be a way. We could put on thinking caps and see what comes up for solutions. Maybe something like a list people could put there name on.

Some have a different issue, they have all the skills, but don't want to kill anymore, but would teach and/or help for free, just for the joy of giving to young hunters, and being in the field. Not as a guide, but would there be reasons to take someone along who was a retired registered guide . Again not to guide, but to teach, how to use binoculars, spotting scopes, butcher, field dress, load the pack, deal with camp bears, etc. not to do it but to teach. Like taking your grandfather along, who was a registered guide. Not for money, don't want people going crazy here.

There must be several experienced Alaskan Outdoors'men/Hunters who don't care to kill anymore, but would like to teach and help others.

Default I see only 2 issues

One issue being money, not many people do things for free.. When you figure the cost of a monthly boat payment.. Gas 30-60 Gallons for a average 4 day weekend (boat), another 40-60 in the truck to pull it their.. Tunnel fees, Boat launch fees, Parking your truck and trailer in a lot (fee). things add up. Plus time in the woods is time away from Family and work.. I see a few people maybe doing it on a 50/50 split on the cost, but a freebie will be hard to come by..
    Second issue I see is a freebie out to learn stuff form a experienced person.. In order to see game the experienced on will be taking the newbie to (his spots).. once discovered by someone else, their not really a place to yourself..
    I took a guy after work to a quick place loaded with bears 30-40 minutes form anchorage.. Toom him in their, shot our bears (spot and stalk) and we were home by midnight. The next weekend I went out their and he and 3 friends were on wheelers cruising the exact area.. Needless to say, he and I arent friends anymore.

I take my wife, and kids with me about everywhere I go, their even sworn to secrecy as to where we go..

Hoytguy

Default Clarification

Apparently I needed to clarify a few of my thoughts. I appreciate the responses that I have received and hope to hear of a few more ideas.

As far as my stance on everything proposed.

* I am open for any hunt and any season. Being 27 and in good shape I don't feel like any hunt is too challenging physically, but I am saying nothing about it mentally.

* I have no problem paying my own way and in no way want or expect a free pass. I have a good vehicle and will pull a trailer and split costs as needed.

*Not looking to steal anybody's secret hunting spot. I am a little to ethical for that type of crap. Just looking to find a hunting group or person that is willing to show me some skills that will allow me to find my own hunting spots.

* Hoytguy I do live in Anchorage and that trip sounds right up my alley, I probably would still prefer to learn on the first trip. Money is a partial issue, but still debating on what type of hunt is right for me or which weapon I should invest in (gun or bow).

* And Yes, if it turn "broke back" style out there I will scream to high heaven. (I knew someone would take it there.)

Thanks again to all those interested in teaching an Alaskan Rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

So much for "what happens in the tent, stays in the tent"
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Hope it works out MNAK08. As you are figuring out, one of the most necessary skills is "ability to open wallet." That being said, a hike up Eagle River valley is a pretty cheap hunt.

good luck!

There should be some seminars at the sportsman show that would be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Second issue I see is a freebie out to learn stuff form a experienced person.. In order to see game the experienced on will be taking the newbie to (his spots).. once discovered by someone else, their not really a place to yourself..
    I took a guy after work to a quick place loaded with bears 30-40 minutes form anchorage.. Toom him in their, shot our bears (spot and stalk) and we were home by midnight. The next weekend I went out their and he and 3 friends were on wheelers cruising the exact area.. Needless to say, he and I arent friends anymore.

I take my wife, and kids with me about everywhere I go, their even sworn to secrecy as to where we go..

Hoytguy
    Been there done that.

That is one of the concerns with bringing new people to your spots. Have had it happen enough that now I explain to them and get them to agree 9several times) before I take them, that they can't hunt where I show them without me. So far so good but I am just waiting for someone to break that deal and then I guess I will be done helping people out.