Thread: Need new trail

Default Need new trail

I need a new trail north of caswell to explore and scout for moose. I live in Willow and have been disgusted with the pressure that i have seen in the last few years for hunting. No matter how far back i go i still end up seeing people. I don't care how hard it is, I just want to get my wheeler back as far as possible and get away from the crowds. I am looking for a place to scout out this summer for a good fall moose hunting camp. I am willing to trade info. on the willow area or elsewhere. Any ideas for me. The further north probably the BETTER?

Are you looking for some uncharted areas or just less traveled? I've never really found myself alone on any trail. Even high traffic trails can have some good hunting...lots of folks are too lazy to do some foot work.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I think less traveled would be just fine. And i am looking for an area that may produce some legal bulls. I would like to set up a camp for 10 days and then do some foot work from there and work at it. Any ideas?

There isn't one. I'm not saying that to be a smart azz..but your dream trail doesn't exist. I've lived here 28 years (Talkeetna area) and there isn't a single trail on the Parks Highway that doesn't see huge amounts of ATV traffic during hunting season.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    There isn't one. I'm not saying that to be a smart azz..but your dream trail doesn't exist. I've lived here 28 years (Talkeetna area) and there isn't a single trail on the Parks Highway that doesn't see huge amounts of ATV traffic during hunting season.
    This is what I have found as well. The good news is that apparently everyone thinks that the trail ends at a legal bull and it is a race to get there! Do some scouting and more walking than riding and you will find good hunting!

Some of the best hunting in the valley is to be had off the trails in pockets where the ATV's can't get to..but are only a short walk off the trail. I called in several sub-legal bulls in the 40" range last year within the first mile of two of the most traveled ATV trails in the Talkeetna area. Folks just get on their ATV's and haul azz to the end of the trail....skipping the hunting in the first few miles. The moose must have figured this out...LOL..
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

From what I have seen the Willow area has a very large moose population. Most people just donít know how to hunt the area, you need to be a better than average moose hunter.

The farther north you go the less moose there are and very few trails.
    I would rethink the willow area.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    From what I have seen the Willow area has a very large moose population. Most people just donít know how to hunt the area, you need to be a better than average moose hunter.

The farther north you go the less moose there are and very few trails.
    I would rethink the willow area.
    shhhhh!! I'll never say where but I was standing in a field in the back of a swamp along a well traveled ATV trail surrounded by moose this past year. Of the 6-7 bulls w/ in 75 yards I just could not make any of them grow another brow tine...