Thread: Recommendations for tanning

Default Recommendations for tanning

I am looking to send some small fur hides out for tanning. Does anyone know a good place that will do fleshing and tanning on thin skin furs such as martin, mink, or muskrat?

All three of those are easy to flesh out yourself. You can also tan them with the home tan kits put out now they are almost s good as commercial tans. Go to Van Dykes they have everything you need. I tan all of my skins it is actually fun.
    Chuck

Default Trophy Taxidermy

Trophy Taxidermy in Palmer. Everything done on site including the tanning.
    BK

Default Adventures Alaska Taxidermy

If you want it done fast and professionally!

I'll second aktrouttamer they are in ancourage and the turn around should be fast. If you ship it it will take 4-6 months IF you get your own hides back... Shop local may be a tad bit more but you know where it is and they will make it right if you are not happy.

Can anyone make a suggestion in Fairbanks?

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Can anyone make a suggestion in Fairbanks?
    Harter's Taxidermy in Fairbanks. number is 474-1009, he also has a website and is a sponsor to this site. First class work in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter13 View Post
    Harter's Taxidermy in Fairbanks. number is 474-1009, he also has a website and is a sponsor to this site. First class work in my opinion.
    Definately good work from Rich. He did 2 caribou hides for me and they turned out awsome.

I sent my stuff out to Moyles in Idaho. Very fast and great job, I love the way everything turned out. I fleshed everything as best as I could and they did the rest. I did 1 lynx taxi tanned, 1 lynx garment and a fox garment. I'm very happy with the result.

Quote Originally Posted by F-16Pointy View Post
    I sent my stuff out to Moyles in Idaho. Very fast and great job, I love the way everything turned out. I fleshed everything as best as I could and they did the rest. I did 1 lynx taxi tanned, 1 lynx garment and a fox garment. I'm very happy with the result.

I get a fair number of critters every year and I send them all out to Moyles. They do GREAT work, and I've NEVER had any issues with the loss of "my" fur. Moyles is far and away cheaper, and the quality is top notch. I've found that most local places (except for Al's place in Fairbanks, and Alpha fur) don't actually do the tanning. They usually just add their 15% and ship it off too.

If you've stretched and dried your stuff, I'd just send to Moyles: www.moytown.com
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

All right Alaskan, you have contributed to this forum!!! Yahoo!!!

I'm kidding of course.

Moyles is great. We send off a pile of fur to them every year.

I have to agree with Alaskan and Kusko I send anywhere from 75 -125 pelts a year to them for tanning they do a great job and even with shipping are still cheaper than any place I have found in state.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it