Thread: 12 Foot beginner

Default 12 Foot beginner

Picked up a 12 foot avon red shank this winter. Which rivers would you recommend trying it out on first. I have plenty of power boat exp. but mostly in oceans and lakes. I will try it in a local lake before anything with current though. Also within a couple hours of Anchorage. Thanks

Thumbs up Portage Creek

I'd recommend Portage Creek in the Portage Valley 40 miles south of Anchorage. Easy road access with less demanding water conditions throughout the entire float. In my opinion one of the best places to get some mileage for beginning and learning to river raft or kayak in Alaska.

Portage Creek is a good place to learn, and it's close. A slower float would be upper Eagle River, from the state access at mile 7.1(?) on Eagle River Road, to the next state access just above the Briggs Bridge on Eagle River Loop Road. Plan on several hours at normal flows. After that it gradually gets a little more exciting until Campground Rapids. I wouldn't recommend that part without more experience. The water on ER is usually very low until mid June.

I think a better choice than ER is the upper Kenai River from Kenai Lake to Jim's Landing or the Russian River Ferry access. In fact, the upper Kenai is most likely open now if you want to get out right away.

Default Dont know where it is right now

but last time I was in cooper landing (two weeks ago) there was some ice below the bridge, but not enough that it couldn't be broken through easily. Nice float this time of year, and as a plus, the little convenience store (wildmans) right before the bridge crossing the base of kenai lake provides shuttle service at a very reasonable price.

Chris

Default Alaska River Guide ?

I got everything I need from it, made TOPO map copies of the ones I'll float to add to the book pages.
    I'm going to list on E-Bay or Craigs List soon for 8 bucks