Thread: Trolling motor vrs. kicker for Sportjon/XS

Default Trolling motor vrs. kicker for Sportjon/XS

Looking for info from fellas that have put on trolling motors or kickers on their sport jons, extreme shallows. I am looking at putting one on my sj. Looking at either a trolling motor on my bow or a kicker mounted to swim deck. Want to use it for lake trolling and valdez silvers. Thanks for the help.

Default for lake trolling

foot control trolling motor works well. used on my ranger down south (bass rig) same concept for lake fishing.

my .02 worth

Quote Originally Posted by fk 107 View Post
    Looking for info from fellas that have put on trolling motors or kickers on their sport jons, extreme shallows. I am looking at putting one on my sj. Looking at either a trolling motor on my bow or a kicker mounted to swim deck. Want to use it for lake trolling and valdez silvers. Thanks for the help.
    I have a sjx coming in April I had them put a mount one on the swim deck and I plan on using my 6 hourse mud buddy on it for pike fishing and if that doesnt work as good as I hope Im going to look at a front mounted foot on. How do you like your sportjon and how does it do out of Valdez. Chris

I mounted a kicker bracked on the back on my XS for a 9.9hp. I used a plate of Al on both sides and bolted through that. Unfortunately, the transom of my boat is far too weak for the 9.9, it flexes quite a bit.

So, I picked up a 4.5hp and the flex has been reduced but still too much for me to feel comfortable running the river with it hanging off the back. So it rides in the boat until I need it.

It sure is handy to use on the lakes and back sloughs but the 4.5hp is lacking in thrust compared to the 9.9...lol....My top speed is just under 5mph on flat/calm/still water. If the wind kicks up I don't even bother with it. I doubt it would be any use in the salt.

My swim deck is only tacked on the bottom so I didn't want to use that to mount the motor, but in hindsight it may have been the better/stronger option versus the transom mount. Hopefully your SJ is a little beefier in the rear than my boat...

I have no experience with a bow mounted troller...

If you are interested in how useful a kicker would be I'd say go for it.
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I would be curious to see pics of where they put the mount for the mudbuddy. They seem to have built the swim deck a little beefier than my sport jon.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    I have a sjx coming in April I had them put a mount one on the swim deck and I plan on using my 6 hourse mud buddy on it for pike fishing and if that doesnt work as good as I hope Im going to look at a front mounted foot on. How do you like your sportjon and how does it do out of Valdez. Chris

Thanks for the info...I doubt the transom is any beefier on the sj than the xs . I would like to be able to have a mount on the swim deck though. I am just wondering if a kicker or trolling motor in the bow would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I mounted a kicker bracked on the back on my XS for a 9.9hp. I used a plate of Al on both sides and bolted through that. Unfortunately, the transom of my boat is far too weak for the 9.9, it flexes quite a bit.

So, I picked up a 4.5hp and the flex has been reduced but still too much for me to feel comfortable running the river with it hanging off the back. So it rides in the boat until I need it.

It sure is handy to use on the lakes and back sloughs but the 4.5hp is lacking in thrust compared to the 9.9...lol....My top speed is just under 5mph on flat/calm/still water. If the wind kicks up I don't even bother with it. I doubt it would be any use in the salt.

My swim deck is only tacked on the bottom so I didn't want to use that to mount the motor, but in hindsight it may have been the better/stronger option versus the transom mount. Hopefully your SJ is a little beefier in the rear than my boat...

I have no experience with a bow mounted troller...

If you are interested in how useful a kicker would be I'd say go for it.

I am just wondering if a kicker or trolling motor in the bow would be better.
    I don't know but I'd bet a bow mount would be nice...I do most of my fishing from the front when I'm on still water...I bet a foot controlled unit like AKRDGRUNNER mentioned would be nice if it had enough thrust to move the boat well....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I would be curious to see pics of where they put the mount for the mudbuddy. They seem to have built the swim deck a little beefier than my sport jon.
    They are going to put it dead center on the swim platform. How does you sj handle out in valdez

I havent had it out in valdez yet. I bought an 08 last spring so have only had it one season. Water would need to be nice and would always have to be watching for it to kick up to be able to run and hide. I have heard from plenty of guys that have used them in valdez.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    They are going to put it dead center on the swim platform. How does you sj handle out in valdez

Default trolling motor

Bow mounted electric is not going to get it done for silvers, I've used them for a lot of years (walleye fishing in SoDak) and actually have one on my 20' Sportsman that I use on occasion when I go pike fishing up here, most of the time I have my pot/anchor puller mounted there though. You won't be able to sustain if even get to the type of speed you need to effectively troll for silvers, and maxed out trying to keep some speed will put some serious drain on a deep cycle, even if you maintain it well. It'll do everything else you want, it's great for moving around in sloughs or lakes, working shorelines and whatnot, but I wouldn't recommend it for actual trolling. Not sure if you plan on using downriggers, pink lady's or what but your main motor will work if you are, I rarely ever troll for silvers anymore, mostly will just take breaks from 'but fishing and throw a mooch rig over the side and do that til I get tired of catching them and then go back to flatfish. I have trolled using my sportjet though and it works fine, have to stay ahead of wheel a lot more being a jet, but it's no problem. Good luck.
    Cody

Default however...

trolling motor does help when looking for these guys , don't ask me why he was cradling that slime bucket like a baby I really don't know haha
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a nice pike...I am pretty sure I recognize the river as well. Yeah, that would be one of the reasons of having a trolling motor. I have heard that trolling with the sportjet will scare away the silvers?? Who know, I will just have to get down there and figure it out. Thanks for the info.

nope, they won't scare the silvers, caught plenty trolling with my riggers' and outfished my buddies with inboard V8's, course I think that was more about the skipper lol

So what river is it dont want anybodys hot spot just wondering what river.

Skybust...Sent you a PM

Default Sport Jon Kicker

My employer put a 15 hp honda kicker on the back of their Sportjon but ended up pulling the kicker off the boat. The bracket was mounted on the swim platform. The weight of the kicker leveraged that far back made the boat porpoise. A lighter 8hp would have probably helped a little but it just flt unsafe on the river.