Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 mile river & hooligan

Default 20 mile river & hooligan

What time frame on average do you guys go dipping for hooligan? I haven't done it in years but I want to take the family this spring and get a few. Also, is there a place in the valley that sells the hooligan dipnets? Gonna need at least two of those.

Default Mid-April

Usually starts around mid-April. check out this thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...4&pp=25&page=2

As to nets in the valley, I'm sure some of the sporting goods stores will have them. If not several places in Anchorage will and you can get them on your way to dipping.

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    Usually starts around mid-April. check out this thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...4&pp=25&page=2

As to nets in the valley, I'm sure some of the sporting goods stores will have them. If not several places in Anchorage will and you can get them on your way to dipping.

I would have to disagree with Mid-April. I was down there last year around the 24th of May and it was slow slow slow. Heard it was alot better last year a week after I was there. But then again, every kind of fishing was late last year....

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I think mid to late may is a more normal time.

Default filled 2

5 gallon buckets in 45 min on April 25th last year. Went 3 days later, it took 3 hours to get 3 gallons worth. Went again around May 18th with a buddy and in 3 hours got enough to fill 34 gallon ziplock bags. He went again at the end of May and got 2 5 gallon buckets in just under an hour.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i used to go first clam tide of the year pretty religiously around the third week in april and we usually caught a few hoollies on the way back to anchorage. the fishing was by no means hot but there are a few in there a week before may. lots less people too

Default Susitna River Drainage

I have heard of some excellent catches on the Susitna river systems - can anyone verify that?
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Default i can verify that info..

been going across the inlet for years and all i have to do is throw a 5 gal bucket with holes drilled through the bottom over the side of my boat for a few min and it always comes up full

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    5 gallon buckets in 45 min on April 25th last year. Went 3 days later, it took 3 hours to get 3 gallons worth. Went again around May 18th with a buddy and in 3 hours got enough to fill 34 gallon ziplock bags. He went again at the end of May and got 2 5 gallon buckets in just under an hour.
    Dang....No kidding? Here I thought I was to early going around the 24th of May last year. I couldn't even fill a bucket when I went. Guess I should call down there for some reports of when it might pick up this month....

Quote Originally Posted by akfishnut View Post
    I have heard of some excellent catches on the Susitna river systems - can anyone verify that?
    I think this was on the Susitna somewhere....he is also a forum member on here, you can ask him....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1S_c...e=channel_page

Fish On!

Cool deal. Looks like I should think about going down there at the end of this month or so. Also, what do you guys do with all that hooligan? Roll them in flour and deep fry them?

Default I plan on making my

first trip about the same time this year(4/25). I post the results if I do.

Do with them? - Flour n fry, batter n deep fry, smoke, smoke n can, season n bake on broiler pan. Have a friend that kippers them.

On the Su I have seen nets filled(in 10 seconds) to the point that you had to dump some out so as not to break your net.
    Go to Silverstreak boats ask Ben to show you the tapes.

Default Big Su is thick!

Talk w/Mr. Roy Roth who has the coffe shop/diner and cabin rentals just outside the gate from Deshka landing. He transports people up and down the river who want to dip hooligan. These fish are THICK up the Big Su and the Yetna. It's obvious where they are in the river due to the birds that follow them.
    Or if you want to be all by yourself go across the inlet to Beluga River. The run over there is incredible and no one is there. Spernak will fly you over for $70- last year and Bob Freeman will rent you a vehicle.
    BK

Default Timing....

bkmail....what is the optimal timing traditionally on the Big Su and Beluga Rivers??

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

memorial weekend at the mouth of the yetna is hooligan crazy

I had a friend today who saw belugas off of anchorage. Mabye they are chasing early hooligan?

Any updates?

Default 20 mile

twenty mile has much ice still.

Default Soo??

So has anybody went??? Has anyone seen anyone dipping?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast