Thread: Plowing

Default Plowing

Any tips out there for someone looking to get a wheeler for plowing snow in my driveway and hunting? Specific models/features? Plows? Are chains necessary? Looking toward a Honda Foreman or Rancher. I have ridden quite a bit, but never tried plowing.

Any thoughts/info appreciated.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    Any tips out there for someone looking to get a wheeler for plowing snow in my driveway and hunting? Specific models/features? Plows? Are chains necessary? Looking toward a Honda Foreman or Rancher. I have ridden quite a bit, but never tried plowing.

Any thoughts/info appreciated.

Tom, I used a Foreman for plowing and it did pretty well, but the older Foreman machines don't much like the cold. Honda put a carb heater on them and it helped, but they are still a bit tempermental IMHO. A garage stored machine would do great.
    Its tough to beat a Honda for any work chores.
    I also plowed with my 660 Yamaha grizzly, it was excellent with gobs of power and no jerky shifts due to the belt drive trans. It also has higher ground clearance over the white stuff.
    No advice on the rancher-sorry.

Frank

If you will be doing alot of back and forth plowing, get one that is quick and easy to get into reverse, preferably without taking out of gear.

Thumbs up Other threads

Here is a thread where the topic was discussed thoroughly -

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=4238
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input and the link. I guess I have allot to consider. How does the reverse on the honda's, differ with man vs. auto (ES)?

I had a late 80's, early 90's Honda that was kind of a pain to get into reverse.

Thanks,

Default Honda reverse

The reverse technique is the same for manual shift and electronic shift. You have to push the little red button on the left brake lever, pull the lever, then shift past neutral and into reverse either with the foot lever or the push button (on the ES). It isn't difficult, but can be cumbersome when wearing heavy gloves/mittens.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

On ATVF I read where a guy modified his honda reverse cable to where he did not have to pull the lever in. To put the machine in reverse all he had to do was push down the button and hit the downshift button on his ESP. If you are interested I can try and dig up the thread.