Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dalton Highway Speed

Default Dalton Highway Speed

To anyone who can help:

My brother and I are planning a trip up Dalton Highway in August. I'm trying to work out the logistics, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the driving speed is like on the Dalton that time of year. How long would take to get from Fairbanks to the north side of the Brooks Range? Thanks.

Barron

Default speed

Some places are 30 mph and others are 70 mph, but I think the posted limit is 45

Default NO

Quote Originally Posted by 4whlr View Post
    Some places are 30 mph and others are 70 mph, but I think the posted limit is 45
    There is no place in Alaska that the speed limit is 70. The speed limit on the Dalton is 50 M.P.H. and the Troopers do enforce it.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Dalton Hwy

Plan for 12 hours, save your tires, enjoy the many, many opportunities to fish along the way and make an adventure out of it. I have traveled the up to hunt several times and now I find myself enjoying the scenery versus haulin butt to get to a hunting spot. Good luck and have fun.

Default Posts

There are a lot of posts on the Dalton if you search. One clue I will give you: Use "D" or "E" rated tires.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Amen to the tire advice. If you are going 45mph prepare to be passed constantly by the big rigs. I got behind a row of trucks out of Coldfoot in November that ran pretty much 65-70 mph all the way to the Yukon Bridge. There will be a big road construction push this summer so you could be stuck waiting for that for some time.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks for all the info, guys. Appreciated.

Barron

Time will really depend on weather. If it has been raining, expect poor roads which will really slow things down. Getting to Coldfoot is the easy part as most of it is paved now. I've typically averaged about 10-11 hours per trip from Fairbanks to Deadhorse. If you are only going to the north side of the range around pump 4, you can shave a few hours off of that. PS4 is about 140 miles south of Deadhorse.

I usually find the frost heaves are the worst on the blacktop from Fairbanks to the Haul Road than on the Haul Road itself. Don't let those sneak up on you!!
    EricL

Default Time

In my opinion, the time and speed depends just on the road. Sometimes its smooth and dry and 70 mph is easy, sometimes it's wet and rainy and full of holes, on those days you will lucky to keep your teeth in at 40 mph. From Chugiak to Happy Valley, I average 16 hours, best being 14 hours.

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    In my opinion, the time and speed depends just on the road. Sometimes its smooth and dry and 70 mph is easy, sometimes it's wet and rainy and full of holes, on those days you will lucky to keep your teeth in at 40 mph. From Chugiak to Happy Valley, I average 16 hours, best being 14 hours.

Terry

I'd agree with that. We usually run 17 hours to Happy Valley from Anchorage.
    EricL

I've done 80 on the paved parts when dry and sunny, went in the end of Aug. 55-60 on dirt (dry) with no traffic and straight roads, 45 on the pass and just after it was 30 where it was wet and rutty. 20" "E" rated tires on a F350 4x4. 14hrs from Anc to Galbrith Lake, 10pm to 12noon.

Default Haul Rd

Run the center of the road, all the tire getters bolts rocks are usually on the sides. Monitor channel 19 and listen for the big guys shoutin out where they are on the severe grades, wait at the top...they wont slow down for you if you get caught in the saddle. Give'em a shout out and let them know where you are. Slow down and give adequate room when passing, if you like your wind shield and lights. Look out for soft spots and remember unless someone is traveling with you it could be a long time before help can be on scene of an incedent. Limited cell service out of Fairbanks untill DH. Take your time... 50 mph if conditions warrant. Good luck and have fun

Default Dalton Road

Plan on 12 hours or more if there is construction... Take your time pullover and fish on the way, plan for a full day then you are covered... I have been up there 6 times and if you take your time it goes pretty good... Last year I drive thru the night, but would not do that again...

Quote Originally Posted by Zort-Em View Post
    To anyone who can help:

My brother and I are planning a trip up Dalton Highway in August. I'm trying to work out the logistics, and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the driving speed is like on the Dalton that time of year. How long would take to get from Fairbanks to the north side of the Brooks Range? Thanks.

Barron
    7 hours from Fairbanks to Atigun

Default What's the fishing like up there...?

I really don't want to move to another topic on this thread, but if one could answer my question if would be greatly appreciated... What type of rods and lures should I bring along on my hunt. My buddy and I will be up there hunting in August and really want to enjoy the fishing as well as the views.

Thanks in advance for your input on this,
    -Fred

PS: This site is a wealth of knowledge -- Thanks All

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.XXX View Post
    I really don't want to move to another topic on this thread, but if one could answer my question if would be greatly appreciated... What type of rods and lures should I bring along on my hunt. My buddy and I will be up there hunting in August and really want to enjoy the fishing as well as the views.

Thanks in advance for your input on this,
    -Fred

PS: This site is a wealth of knowledge -- Thanks All
    bring what you have... leave your bass gear home. fishing is great!!!! just not what you'll catch back east.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    bring what you have... leave your bass gear home. fishing is great!!!! just not what you'll catch back east.
    Vince,
    Not necessarily so. I have caught some dandy Char, while using Buzz Baits, thinking I was fishing for Pike.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Thanks...?

I'm not a light tackle fisherman and don't do too much freshwater fishing, mostly lobstering, bottomfishing for cod and trolling for tuna. I don't know what a buzzbait is...

Any more detailed info would be appreciated.

Thank you... Fred

Fishing-Stop at grayling lake as there are indeed grayling in grayling lake, they will hit on just about anything, if you are using a spinning rods, any vibrating lure works, dark colors are usually a good choice. They will hit on dry flys but active lures seem to work better. As to the road, I have done 80+ mph on the road and other times I had to put it in 4x4 to get thru the mud. In 3 trips I have had one flat tire. Seen snow all three times (twice in August, once in Sept). Be sure to secure your gear and vehicle as I have heard of several thefts up there. Be nice to the truckers as the road is really there for them and you don't want to piss them off. If you want to stop and glass make sure you are as far out of the way/visible as possible. Bring cash, although credit cards are accepted anywhere you need fuel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast