Thread: Mountain View Sports (Old Seward)

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Mountain View Sports (Old Seward)

3/29/09 was in there and they had Winchester LRM primers and several various pounds of powder. I looked at a pound of RL#7 and noted the price at $38.95.... and then put it back on the counter...

If you REALLY need some powder, and dont care if it costs you, then give them a call, they may have what you are looking for.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Yeah, I stopped in a while back, when I was looking for powder. I think they wanted like $37 or something for a lb of 4895. I thought it was ridiculous, so I passed on it. Problem is, it's getting real nice outside now, real tempting to do more shooting... Have to figure something out soon

Seems like robbery to me. Do you guys up there always have to pay that much or are they taking advantage of the lack of supply right now?

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Seems like robbery to me. Do you guys up there always have to pay that much or are they taking advantage of the lack of supply right now?
    It was around $27 on the high end and $19 a pound could be found before this mess started.

Andy

WOW. Hopefully they have a dispenser at the door that hands out lube to every customer coming in.

What do you expect,it's Mountain View sports. they have always been much more expensive with everything then everyone in town. I was kinda hoping when the Warehouse opened up they would be forced to lower their prices,but they didnt.

I like the atmosphere,I like most of the people that work their,but I refuse to pay their prices.
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

Lets see.....you got worthless green paper that you are trying to trade....Just who is ripping who off.......? If you think your green paper is so wonderful hoard it. Or you could get lots more worthless green paper by going into the Power & ammo business. If you don't like todays prices, don't buy, you can buy in two years at 300% higher price.

Default Economics: Small local businesses versus national big box...

Quote Originally Posted by tjkanavel View Post
    What do you expect,it's Mountain View sports. they have always been much more expensive with everything then everyone in town. I was kinda hoping when the Warehouse opened up they would be forced to lower their prices,but they didnt. I like the atmosphere,I like most of the people that work their,but I refuse to pay their prices.
    I don't handload, so maybe don't rate a seat/voice at all around this campfire, but this thread was labeled "Mountain View Sports (Old Seward)". I've dealt with MVS since 2000 - and I'm not sure some of the statements I hear from time to time about them are fair. These are my thoughts FWIW -just my personal experience.

In 2006, I paid $775 for my S&W 329PD from MVS. That was a good price then from MVS or anywhere.

Over the last 9 years, I've compared fly fishing gear prices at the small/local flyshops; MVS, Worldwide, McAfees and 3 Rivers. A few dollars difference wasn't hard to find and MVS was what I'd expect -having what appeared to be more overhead than the other fly local fly shops. I'd expect mostly the same to be true for other gear.

Big box prices ought to near always be better - their strategy is Sam Walton's "stack em deep and sell em cheap". Aren't the economics here big box versus smaller local business?

And even comparing MVS to another local business, like Boondock maybe - wouldn't MVS's overhead be much higher - more rent, more staff, more inventory, more inventory turnover, more warehouse space? How do MVS price increases compare to other businesses? Are powder prices going up elsewhere too?

If price is my only requirement; if I know exactly what I want to buy, then shopping is simple. If I want advice - and I often need advice - I have found good advice everywhere; the gun guys at SW (Anc & Wasilla too) seem to know their stuff to me. But the gun advice at Boondock is consistently excellent. Mike at MVS is consistently excellent in my experience. Overall, I still prefer the small local businesses, which seem more experienced; to know their gear, plus to have better local knowledge, and to give more balanced advice.

To say powder costs more is apparently a fact. To generalize "that's just Mountain View" - could be true, but has not been true in my experience - at least for other items of outdoor gear.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I guess I should have been more factual and less sarcastic when I first started this thread… I am not knocking MV Sports. I like the store, like the folks that work there, and my boys love to go in with me and check out all the animals. I will admit that their prices seem high compared to other stores in town, but I have no idea why. Maybe they are opportunistic capitalists that are willing to gouge their customer base to make as much profit as possible. Perhaps their overhead is more and they are just barely able to meet expenses, or there is some other logical reason for the inflated prices, but in the end, it doesn’t really matter, and is frankly none of my business why they charge what they charge. I look at the things in their store on an item by item basis, and if the price seems reasonable and fair, then I buy. If not, I browse around, and then go my merry way.

I intended this thread to be a notification for powder searchers! I know I have had a hell of a time finding primers, but I am actually set pretty well for powder. I mentioned the RL#7 because I use a fair amount of that stuff and only declined to purchase it because I have nearly 5 lbs in stock at home, and I am somewhat willing to gamble that availability in Anchorage will increase somewhat throughout the summer and that prices will come down a tad bit in the short term. I just figured that there may be a few guys on the forum that were totally out of powder, and in that circumstance perhaps $38 per pound would seem like a bargain…
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

MVS's has an interesting reputation. During the 80's there motto was "we have what you need but you will pay for the nose to get it". They were similar to Gary Kings where as they priced everything at super high prices but they usually had it in stock. Then the box stores moved into town and MV was forced to change or go bankrupt. Gary King stores choose the other route and went bankrupt.

Now since Sportsman Warehouse is bascially tits up as far as reloading components go MVS is back to there old pricing system. This shortage of powder can easily be fixed if you guys got to together and did another "group buy". I checked several of the online sites mentioned on here before and they all seem to have good supplies of the most popular powders. I think the last group buy I was in on was for RL17 and the delivered price was $22 a pound (might of been $24).
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Lets see.....you got worthless green paper that you are trying to trade....Just who is ripping who off.......? If you think your green paper is so wonderful hoard it. Or you could get lots more worthless green paper by going into the Power & ammo business. If you don't like todays prices, don't buy, you can buy in two years at 300% higher price.
    Or, even better, buy online and save a bunch!

Default HOPEAK, do you live without using worthless green paper?

Otherwise, what's the point of your rant. It happens to be the system, has been for too long. Lighter then carrying gold, even if we were on the gold standard. Don't worry though, another couple years we'll be back to the barter system, which I like better anyway. In fact, check out the sell/swap forum, it's happening already!

Default Free Market?

It's just not possible to know if they are overcharging when we don't know what they paid or how they got it. Sure they could be gouging. They could also be doing what I asked other small shops to do for me back around Christmas time, get some dang powder in for their customers that need it! I for one commend them for having it and am happy to know that if I need it they may have it.

Like some others have said, don’t buy it if it’s too high priced for you, but no need to bash them over the price! For all we know they have more money in Fed-Ex getting it up here for their valued customers.

Andy

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

MVS usta be a good store back in the old days. (When they were in Mountain View)

Tjkanavel is correct. They ARE more expensive than most other places. So much so, that I have little reason to shop there. I did get 3 or 4 cans of SR 4759 over there once, when they had powder On Sale.

Frankly, I’m surprised they are still in business. They were advertising a while back, when they hadn’t before, and I figured that was a sign of their demise. Often, that’s the case with stores, and businesses.

Their overhead, and other expenses of doing business, is their problem. If they can’t be competitive, then they will fail. They may have found a niche, with rich people who have lots of money to spend. ???

Anyway, since business, must charge according to what they pay for a product, if they have a large inventory and it’s all expensive, that may be the way of the future. BUT, if they’ve just got a few cans of various powders, at the clearly outrageous price of $38.95, yeah it does look like they are taking advantage of the current shortage of supply.

I don’t care if a store gets bashed for, even the appearance of gouging. I’m sure not ready to pay $38.95 for a pound of powder, for which you get maybe enough charges for 100 rounds.

Save your pee-pee. We could all be makin our own Black Powder by this time next year.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Funny stuff right there!