Thread: motor for canoe

Default motor for canoe

I was considering getting a motor for my canoe and I was wondering the pro's and cons of a gas one compared to an electric one.

Default motors

you know any light motor works ok. I prefer the quiet of the electric motor for day trips, but the gas motor is must for extended remote trips.
    the most important thing is safety, I have a couple of motor mounts that fit the traditional canoe. I have used a 3 hp evinrude and it works great. loading the boat so it travels correctly will be more important than picking a motor.

These tips are for square stern canoes as well as double ended canoes with motor brackets.
    CAUTION: Using a motor on a canoe can be dangerous if not done properly!
    NO!
    Extremely dangerous, This canoe grossly out of trim. The bow is out of the water with the stern deep in water. This canoe is highly unstable. Danger of capsize, high.
    YES!
    This canoe is trimmed , the bow and stern are drawing the same amount of water. The canoe is much more stable with this level load.
    HOW TO TRIM YOUR CANOE WHEN YOU ARE USING YOUR CANOE SOLO
    • Add a person (go tandem)
    • Add weight in the bow until the canoe is trim in the water. You can do this by using 5 gal. water jugs.
    • If using an electric motor, put the battery up front.
    Other tips for motoring a canoe is to avoid quick or sharp turns and motor movement. Try your motor close to shore without gear in the canoe until you familiarize yourself with the operation of the canoe and motor.
    Secure motor to the seat frame with a safety or rope. Secure your gear- any canoe can capsize. Always wear a life jacket.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I suppose we should ask what will you be using it for? Lakes and slow moving creeks a trolling motor will be fine on short runs, for everything else I would go with an outboard as long as the regulations for your area permit.

For short day trips I prefer an electric trolling motor. Its much simplier to use and is "on" all the time compared to an outboard which needs to be pull started. If I need to get somewhere in a hurry and I will be on a long trip then I use my small outboard.

Also the electric trolling motors are cheap compared to outboards.

Default motor

I am going to use it to run upstream and then float back down. I'm not sure how long a battery would last or the amount of thrust I would need for an electric motor, I have seen small solar panels that can be used to charge a battery but I'm not sure how long it would take. I think the gas motor would be ok on lakes and rivers but I'm leaning towards the electric one for smaller creeks plus it's quiet. I'm just not sure of the run time on a battery.

I run a 34 pound electric on my 14.6 Old Town. It is fine with me in the back unless the wind is from the side. It almost gets the canoe on step with me and my son in it. Runs for 6 hours on one charge.

I also have a 2HP gas engine. I believe that it is too strong for my canoe. It would rip the mounting bracket right off if things got rough.

Thumbs up 9.9Hp

I have a Grunman Frighter 19' with a lift and use 9.9 mercury SS with a Rock Hopper Guard...........sweet!
    Alaska