Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Alaska Sportmans Show $$$

Default Great Alaska Sportmans Show $$$

First I enjoy the Show, But how did we get to the point that we're happy Paying to park & Paying admission in to a place were they are trying to sell us stuff? Is it because we're so starved for entertainment after the winter?

There is a new sportsman show being put on by a competing company which will be at the new convention center. It has been a while since I talked to anyone about it, but it was going to be free admission and parking downtown (if you can find a space) is also free. Much smaller venue, but maybe if it is successful the big show might have to respond by lowering their prices. I used to have a booth at the sportsman show and as a vendor it was also frustrating to know that potential consumers are also being charged when we were paying heavily for the booth spaces. The standard single booth space is over $1,000 and that does not include electricity!

I haven't gone to a GASS in a number of years, sorry but I get tired of paying $$ to park then $$ to get inside where I might spend even more. I'll be attending this new show if in fact it is going to happen. I've been to quite few of those shows over the years and they hardly ever change so I don't see the point in going again.

Default The "Other" Show

Quote Originally Posted by alaskariverguy View Post
    There is a new sportsman show being put on by a competing company which will be at the new convention center. It has been a while since I talked to anyone about it, but it was going to be free admission and parking downtown (if you can find a space) is also free. Much smaller venue, but maybe if it is successful the big show might have to respond by lowering their prices. I used to have a booth at the sportsman show and as a vendor it was also frustrating to know that potential consumers are also being charged when we were paying heavily for the booth spaces. The standard single booth space is over $1,000 and that does not include electricity!
    Riverguy,

The other show you are talking about was canceled a while back. It really didn't make sense to run it at the same time as the Great Alaska Sportsman Show (GASS) anyway. If you are a vendor, where do you want to be? A show with lots of potential customers crowding the aisles or a show that's nice and quiet, with few customers? I have participated in one show in the Denaina center, and I think it's a great venue, but the timing was all wrong. With the economy the way it is, I would expect many of the smaller mom and pop vendors are having to choose between shows.

As to the fees and such, the GASS has been charging admission for many years. I've been a seminar speaker there since the early 1990's and it's always been that way. The parking is operated by a completely different company, and those fees have also been with us for many years. So none of this is new, but it comes up now and then. The biggest issue I see is overcrowding. If you're a vendor, that's a nice problem to have, to a certain extent. But after the second or third day, if it's really crowded, both vendors and customers develop the "thousand yard stare" and it's a different deal.

There are a lot of great deals to be had at the show, so the admission price is well worth it if you can catch a special on a halibut charter, or a new firearm and such. You can easily pay for your parking and entrance fee with one good deal on something. Then you have those yummy corn fritters and those pretzels with the liquid plastic cheese... don't wanna miss out on that, now do ya? I really like the seminars, mostly because I'm a seminar speaker who can't keep his mouth shut... But there is a lot of great information that comes out of those seminars. This year we have a great seminar lineup with folks from ADFG, and many others who know their stuff. Besides, it's a great place to sit and digest that chili cheese dog while you rest your legs for one more trip through the gauntlet!

The Sportsman Show is an annual rite of passage for spring; the front door to what we all hope will be another great Alaska summer! See you there!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Smile

I like going to show, yeah, you waste some money getting in and parking. You could always take a shuttle to save some cash. I am usually so cheap the rest of the year, it gives me an excuse to buy something I normally wouldn't spend cash on.

Also, I really like going to the seminars. It is a good chance to sit back and get some tips or other views on hunting and fishing and like Mike said, digest some chili dogs.

If you are going just to shop and don't like paying cash to get in, you often can go to the vendors store and get the same deal during the show.

I only came to this conclusion after realizing I was going to miss it this year at first I was little bummed, but realized I'll save enough money by not going to buy a new toy. When you add up driving up from the Peninsula, the wife & a couple of the boys, stop in Cooper and pick up dad, gas, food, entry fee, and $20 for each gun raffle I can't walk by....Yep I think I can show the wife I saved enough to pick up some new binos, a scope, or maybe a GPS.

I didnt go the last few years just because it seemed it was exactly like the year before. The same vendors, same raffles, same seminars, nothign had changed. I did enjoy going for awhile though,met alot of nice people and made some connections, learned alot from the seminars, and the Wife actually enjoyed going (which is rare )
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

Default Paying for shopping?

Would you pay to go into a car dealers showroom? Would you pay to go into Walmart each time? It is time we stop feeding the greed mongers at the GASS. Let the venders pay the total cost if they want to continue the show.

Default yes and no

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    Would you pay to go into a car dealers showroom? Would you pay to go into Walmart each time? It is time we stop feeding the greed mongers at the GASS. Let the venders pay the total cost if they want to continue the show.
    Yes I think the vendors should bear the weight of us consumers getting into the show. And I say no to the same thing as it would only force them to pass on the expense to us by raising thier prices. I would like to see the show use a different venue where they could allow you in, no charge to peruse the vendors, and have a sectioned off area that you would pay to get in to see seminars. Of course i wouldn't mind paying all the entrance fees if the monies went to outdoors type things, ie; habitat restoration programs, etc. and not into some private company's pocket.

For almost a decade now I've been showing up to the "showntell". Heck....growing up as a kid my father really didnt miss one either, probably out of habit. I rant and rave that everybody is paying for the same showntell year in year out. The booths cost the showntell folks money, and the parking and admission costs the participants money too. It's almost habit for my family and I to go though.....I run into freinds who guide, people from town, sometimes a little eye candy when the wife isnt looking, people I meet fishing and hunting.......and it occured to me: It's almost remnicsent of the early Alaskan days when trappers, miners, fisherman, and whole tribes used to come out of their winter dwellings to all meet and celebrate the arrival of summer in some way shape or form. It's a tradition that's been going on for a very long time......and it sure gets the tourists excited too, ready to give business to our hard working families who guide and depend on the business to live off.

nuther point of view. I am a huge fan of fees at the Sulley. I am not a ANC tax payer but it is absolutely ridiculous that it can't pay for it's self. I hope that the fees will one day cover the cost of the darn building so the users can put forth the money as opposed to the tax payers. I think at the end of the year the balance sheets for all of the parks and rec should be published so we can see just where our $$ went too.

I understand the ANC folks complaining about the parking fees since they are taxed for the place AND pay user fees. What kills me though is everyone else complaining about user fees, You are USING the facility pay for it!! We want these public use facilities and expect them to pop up and support themselves by magic... Maybe there is some stimulus money available for public facilities. Then we can change the building name to "The Peoples Sports Arena and Convention Center" ...

How does everyone here bring this matter to the legislation drawing board? If the Los Anchorage taxpayers are paying money in some way shape or form regarding the "arena" than the citizens of Los Anchorage have a right to voice their politcal views to the people who are supposed to represent them.

Default GASS Fees

Quote Originally Posted by dandeo2003 View Post
    Yes I think the vendors should bear the weight of us consumers getting into the show. And I say no to the same thing as it would only force them to pass on the expense to us by raising thier prices. I would like to see the show use a different venue where they could allow you in, no charge to peruse the vendors, and have a sectioned off area that you would pay to get in to see seminars. Of course i wouldn't mind paying all the entrance fees if the monies went to outdoors type things, ie; habitat restoration programs, etc. and not into some private company's pocket.
    The largest outdoor show in the country, the Eastern Sports & Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, PA, charges an entrance fee for all show attendees, and they charge vendors for booth space. This is the way these shows are done across the country, and the show in Anchorage is no different (nor should it be). If you look at the show itself as a business (and it is), you have tons of overhead to run it. Show staff have to be paid, newspaper ads, radio and television ads, security, janitorial, venue rental fees, rental fees for seminar presentation equipment, etc, etc, etc. Of course the business earns a profit, as it should. The fact that the public accepts this is evidenced by the packed aisles during these shows.

It's also important to realize that the vendors themselves would not be able to front all the cost for running one of these, nor would you want them to. Many of these folks are small, family-owned businesses that can barely afford booth space. It's a dilemma for them, especially now with the economy the way it is. They have to spend the money for booth space (for some it is their biggest advertising gambit of the year), in hopes that they'll get the bookings or sell enough stuff to pay for the booth rental. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have talked with many vendors at the GASS who told me it was touch and go some years...

Then you have all the free content that's provided at these shows. I've been a show seminar presenter for almost 20 years and have never been paid a single nickel for it. I've never even had a dime of my expenses reimbursed. Some of the shows I've done cost me over $1000 in expenses, and I recovered none of it. To my recollection I have never booked a single hunt from doing seminars at outdoor shows. Not one. All the seminar speakers I know are in the same boat; we're doing it free. Some are better than others at making it pay, but most do it for the additional exposure, or just for "the love of the game". My point is that these folks are doing this for you on their dime. You are probably not aware of that.

All in all I think it's a good way to do it. The location has to be rented, and the rent is shared by vendors and show attendees alike. Sounds like an equitable solution to me.

See you there!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

The arena has been paid for .. for years, it is just the upgrading and maintenace of this old building that is the reason that everything is so darn spendy. Anyone notice last year they were redoing parts of the parking lot? It isn't exactly cheap to asphalt anymore with the price of oil so gosh darn high last year. Also resealing the roof, again. They also repaint quite a bit for obvious reasons... and if you don't know the rust is getting pretty bad on some of the pipes and interior. Condensation from concerts, events takes a toll on the metal. And lets not forget that the bathrooms are constantly upgraded or "have to have a stall replaced" because unruly people like to kick the **** toilet so it leaks all over.

Anchorage doesn't pay a whole lot for it anymore ... not like a Public Library, which was a freaking disaster from the beginning and STILL is! The arena isn't that bad.... concidering. But I am tired of "special" bonds on property to pay for everything as usual. I have no problems paying 5 bucks to park. Ever try to go out of State and go to a game down there. You are lucky if you get near their arena without paying 20 to 30 to park.

Think about it .... we aren't doing so bad up here.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    How does everyone here bring this matter to the legislation drawing board? If the Los Anchorage taxpayers are paying money in some way shape or form regarding the "arena" than the citizens of Los Anchorage have a right to voice their politcal views to the people who are supposed to represent them.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Default $$

I go to the show mostly to see folks from out of town I rarely see otherwise. It's more a social event for me.

As far as the fees are concerned it's just like any other trade show.

The Sullivan Arena is managed by a private company who also manages the Egan Center, Dena'Ina Center, Ben Boeke Arena, Dempsey Ice Arena, and the Carlson Center. They charge a fee for the use of the facility.

The promoters of the show, in this case Aurora Productions pays the fee to the management company. They in turn charge vendors for booth space and attendees for admission and parking. Do they have to charge for parking and admission to the show? It depends on how much money they want to make as promoters of the show. How this has anything to do with being an Anchorage taxpayer or not is not apparent to me, but sometimes I'm slow on the uptake.

GASS is an expensive show for vendors in comparison to outdoor shows in the lower 48. It's about $1000 for an 8X10 foot space. I've done numerous outdoor shows in the lower 48 where I've paid less than that for booth space and seen attendance 10 times more than the show here.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

It is really very simple.
    Don't like the admission fee? Don't go
    Don't like the price of the booth rental? Don't rent one.

Me, I don't like the price of the booth rental I don't rent one. I wished the show and parking was free but it isnt so I pay the $10 and enjoy myself.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    It is really very simple.
    Don't like the admission fee? Don't go
    Don't like the price of the booth rental? Don't rent one.

Me, I don't like the price of the booth rental I don't rent one. I wished the show and parking was free but it isnt so I pay the $10 and enjoy myself.
    That pretty much sums it up for me. I went last year with my 3 year old son. Watching him catch several trout made it all worth it to me. I also new that I could pick up a honda 2000 from Ron's Honda for around $900 and some shrimp crack from pot builder. It was a good time over all, but once every three or four years is enough for me. Carrying two buckets of shrimp bait, a Honda generator, and a tired three year old the 1/2 mile to the truck could have been done in one load if I would have purchased a new Barney's pack.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Just to let you know. I have to pay to park. And we are only allowed 5 board member to enter for free. After that rest of the board members have to pay... That is not to mention how much we paid for the both.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

When we had a booth we only got one parking permit.

I quit going to the show years (10 I think) ago, when it ended up being a bunch of fishing charters, and no real deals that I can't find locally or via the net anyway. Part of that factor was the pay to park and pay to get in. After all, have ya noticed that they don't charge to get into any of the womens shows?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast