Thread: 460 V Trail Load

Default 460 V Trail Load

I am interested in what your opinion is on the load I should be packing in my S&W 460XLV for the trail up here in the Great Land. I currently have some Hornady 200 gr copper clad ammo as well as some Corbon 395 gr RN copper clad ammo. The Hornadyís are great for sending some rounds down range and getting to know my hand gun better. I think the Corbonís would be the ticket to stop almost anything. However, at about $60 per box practicing with this ammo can certainly make the wallet cringe. I also have some of Ranger Rickís 265 gr trunce cone and 325 gr SWC cast boolits. I have been working on some loads with these boolits and Hornady brass using H110 but havenít hit on the load I like yet. These I can afford to practice with.

As of right now I practice with the 325 gr SWC cast boolits and take the 395 gr Corbon ammo on the trail. My concern here is that I am practicing with a reduced load from what I will be actually packing and using if I need it. Should I have to use my 460 V the last thing that I need is a load that I am not familiar with and at the price the Corbon ammo is just not something I can shoot a lot. I am sort of torn between continuing on this path or finding a 375 to 400 gr hard cast boolit that I can afford to practice with and packing that with me. Or, my next thought would be is the 325 gr SWC sufficient for bear protection? I donít know how fast I can push the 325 gr boolit and maintain accuracy yet but I intend to.

Ranger Rick sent me some of his 525 gr cast boolits and I have yet to try them. For some reason they just seemed really more boolit than I wanted to load in this hand gun. I would be interested to hear from some of you guys who have loaded and shot this in a 460 V. Rick if you are reading this I would really like your input on velocity, accuracy, etc.

So after the cussing and yelling is over, all warning shots have been fired, a big ugly stinky brown critter ainít bluffing no more, feet are shoulder width apart, hands are full of a 460 V with the hammer pulled back, and you are so scared that the embarrassing and unsanitary condition of mud butt is now or will soon be a reality just what do you want to be sending to meet Mr. Brownie?

Dan

The 395 Cor-bon is about as good as you will find for use in Alaska. I hear you on the price! You don't need to shoot loads of them to know if you can shoot them or not, practicing with the cheaper stuff is great. When under the rush you will get from a bear charge (just before you wee yourself) you will never know there was any recoil.

I load 300s and 395s both with big flat nose on them and believe ether would be more than enough with the near max powder charge I put in behind them. For powder I like Lil-Gun better than H110 since it seems to give the power without the soot of the H110.

So I guess what it boils down to is that what youíre doing if great but so would your reloading plan. The reloading will save money at the loss of conveyance of just buying your ammo, so it's up to you. Myself, I do about 90% reloading and 10% store ammo to supply my brass.

Love my 460V!
    Andy

Dan,

Did you get any loading data on the 460 from Ranger Rick? He sent me multiply recipes for his bullets and my 500 S&W. You might call him and see if he has recipes for the 460.

I use H110 for my loads in the 420 gr bullets. It's a pretty hot load. I may also try 'lil gun after reading what adfields said.

Thanks guys. I still haven't decided which way I want to go. The Corbon's will certainly get the job done but I would sure much rather have something that I have practiced A LOT with should I ever need to stop a charging bear. I suppose practicing with RR .325 gr is pretty similar to the 395 gr Carbon so that's what I'll do for awhile.

I did get some load data from RR and that is what I have been using along with my Lyman load data book. I'll hit upon something I like eventually. I am seriously considering trying to get RR or someone else to make me some 375 to 400 gr RN or SWC boolits. Haven't looked yet but I'm not sure there are even any .452 molds out there for that size boolit. If there is I might have to start casting my own.

I load 300s and 395s both....
    Andy I just re-read your post and if I undestand you correctly you are loading 395 gr .452 boolits? If you are, where are you getting the .395's? This is what I am looking for to load my own.

Dan

Thanks Andy!

Default Cheaper still...

Dan,

what are your thoughts on casting your own? either finding a match to the 395-grainer or drawing one up? I've heard good things about http://www.mountainmolds.com/. They have a very nice program for online bullet design.

Bullet Casting will be an eventuality, one day. IF I GET SOME POWDER!!! However, that just isn't something that I'm ready for just yet. Gotta get rid of one of my hobbies before I start another. I'll certainly look into perhaps getting my own custom mold, especially if I can get someone in Alaska to cast for me until I start casting myself. I think first I'll check out those 395 gr boolits Andy is loading. Thanks for the ideas and link.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DanAKAL View Post
    Bullet Casting will be an eventuality, one day. IF I GET SOME POWDER!!! However, that just isn't something that I'm ready for just yet. Gotta get rid of one of my hobbies before I start another. I'll certainly look into perhaps getting my own custom mold, especially if I can get someone in Alaska to cast for me until I start casting myself. I think first I'll check out those 395 gr boolits Andy is loading. Thanks for the ideas and link.

Dan
    You bet! Those Cast Performance bullets are great...I used to think that was what CorBon used, but based on a scratch test, they appear much harder than the CorBon. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gritlife View Post
    You bet! Those Cast Performance bullets are great...I used to think that was what CorBon used, but based on a scratch test, they appear much harder than the CorBon. Best of luck.
    CorBon is one of their best customers so they do use Cast Performance bullets but may buy from other bullet makers also. Both companies make top notch stuff! I just got some in todayís mail from C/P, got 500 of the 300g and 100 of the 395g for my 460V. Also picked up 100 of their 200g 357s to play with and see if I can make a load for the wife to slow down a bear with. 200 grain hard cast 357 may poke a deep hole in the head of a bear, it will be fun to play with.

Andy

Also picked up 100 of their 200g 357s to play with and see if I can make a load for the wife to slow down a bear with. 200 grain hard cast 357 may poke a deep hole in the head of a bear, it will be fun to play with.
    Andy let me know what you come up with as you progress on this load. I have this very same load on my to do list. My GF packs my GP100 with the understanding that she could probably stop a moose and scare a bear with it but wouldn't be much use on a charging bear. I am planning to work up a load for her this summer just as you are planning.

I'm not sure where I would start with powder as I haven't gotten far enough into it yet but my first thought is that Alliant Unique, my favored .357 powder, probably isn't going to push a 200 gr bullet fast enough to be effective.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DanAKAL View Post
    Andy let me know what you come up with as you progress on this load. I have this very same load on my to do list. My GF packs my GP100 with the understanding that she could probably stop a moose and scare a bear with it but wouldn't be much use on a charging bear. I am planning to work up a load for her this summer just as you are planning.

I'm not sure where I would start with powder as I haven't gotten far enough into it yet but my first thought is that Alliant Unique, my favored .357 powder, probably isn't going to push a 200 gr bullet fast enough to be effective.

Dan
    Will do, the wife has a Lady Smith but I think the 200 grain would be very hard to hold in that gun so I will be working in my Blackhawks first.

I love Bullseye in 357 but for this I plan to try H110, Lil-Gun, W296 and if I can find some 2400 I think it may be a good pick. It will be fun to play with how ever it comes out.

Andy