Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak sail

Default Kayak sail

Has anyone here used a sail on a Kayak?
    I have no sailing experience at all and would like to hear about it and how it works
    max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default No keel

To support a mast you require keel or dagger board, like a traditional sailboat. Or a spread hull, like a hobie cat. A kayak would tip right over without any counter-balance.
    Outdoor Directory - Recreation and Outdoor Links - Submit your outdoor site for FREE
    Billings MT - Montana News, events, and reviews
    Montana Events Calendar - Statewide event calendar

Default Australia / New Zealand

" I beg to differ"
    ( as my neighbor Bobs Ex wife used to say )
    Cpearson, these boats have neither dagger board or Keel, just the basic rudder that comes with most Sea kayaks. I never saw any of them flip.

I saw a bunch of kayaks in New Zealand that were rigged with sails, and thought it was pretty neat Idea. These are usually rudder type sea kayaks. They have many designs of sails and most are homemade. I was surprised at how fast they travel.
    Max
    Last edited by Alaskacanoe; 10-26-2006 at 00:50. Reason: spelling

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default incredible

Those are great pictures. I would never have thought it possible. As a kayaker and beginning sailor I find this very interesting. They look hard to wright.
    Outdoor Directory - Recreation and Outdoor Links - Submit your outdoor site for FREE
    Billings MT - Montana News, events, and reviews
    Montana Events Calendar - Statewide event calendar

Here is a link to the Hobie website where you can get a kayak sail. A friend of mine in California used to use one of these. I never tried it. I have a WS Ride yak, and not sure how it would handle on it, but might be worth a shot.

http://www.hobiecat.com/kayaking/kayak_sail.html

Default We need someone with experience

I will try to find someone that does use a sail to get on here and tell us how to make it work,,
    I will start fishing..
    Max

I used one on my Mokai it belonged to a guy that was up from Florida. It popped open like a pop up tent was round and fit over your paddle. It had a pocket to slip over the paddle and you held on to the bottom of the hoop. Looked like a holu hoop with rip stop cloth if you had too much wind or were getting into trouble you just let go of the bottom and lost the air. I don't have a rudder on my boat so I could not steer well. I have played with making a rudder so that I can use one I needed to make the rudder much larger.
    Waiting for the ice to go out then I will try again. After I play in the ice for a few days,can't wait for the rotten ice way too much fun.
    I have used a kite on a heavy fishing pole it works great.
    If you want to see the boat that I use it on...mokai.com
    I will look for the name and post it when I find it.

One of the easiest and most modern developments on sailing a kayak are traction kites (like those for kite surfing) --- really all you need is a trainer-kite!

You can practice all winter on land or on ice whithout your kayak and learn to fly your kite in the power-zone and guide it into the neutral zone --- back and forth. Learn simple control to complex maneuvers and recovery on you feet, ice skates, skis, snowboards, or what the heck take out the sled or kayak on the snow or ice and give 'er a whirl!

Contrary to the stuff about needing a keel... nope you need not one to sail a kayak at all. Familiarization of the winds through your sails plus rudder, secondary strokes and bracing are all that is required.

Creativity is also a good way to go if a sail-kit or traction kite, etc. is pushing the pocketbook.

Brian Richardson
    http://www.northernrim.com

Default Sailing a kayak

I have a klepper and its sail rig; it works wonderfully. I have sailed Lake Superior and Lake Michigan quite a bit and safely. It is a hoot. It does need two "dagger" boards on the side and these are part of the Klepper's sailing kit. Try it; you will like it.

Smile Kite Kayaking

Hi Kayakers -
    Here is a good representation of a kite control system being used for Kite Kayaking. My Kayak is not so stable; but itís really cool and exiting to use the wind.

FYI: Wind speeds were 18-22mph on that day, kite used was a (high projected twin-skin 330 sqm kite)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwMO_VBJkME

Regards,
    John Bellacera
    www.kitecontrolsystems.com

How are the winds up in Alaska?
    Seasonal or year round.

regards,
    Kitesail

I spent this past Feb and March in the Everglades and there's lots of wind at that time of year. I had a Hobie Adventure kayak with me with outriggers and sail and took advantage of them to get around. It worked OK.

Now I have a Hobie Adventure Island. It's quite a setup and works much better. Its much easier to sail and I can break down the mast and have it out of the way in seconds. It's also much faster as the sail is 3 times larger. I'll be in the Everglades again as I'll be kayak fishing guiding there this fall, winter and spring. I will be using the Island alot and really learn it's capabilities regarding fishing.

I feel I could offshore troll for tuna, dorado and billfish with the Island in Baja, and that's on the list of things to do.

Default kayak sails

Very interested in your kayak setup..
    I saw people in New Zealand in sea kayaks using sails,, and was just amazed at how well they did..
    what do you need to know when trying a sail for the first time?
    Max

Thumbs up My Kayak Sail Experience

The first time that I used a sail on my Kayak was last summer on a paddle from Whittier to Seward. I will never go on another distance paddle without one! Even the slightest tail wind would add speed or reduce effort. During our crossing of Puget Bay we had a constant speed of 13mph vs our normal 5 mph. Most of the time we didn't have a direct tail wind but the sail is adjustable so you can tack for best speed without going off course.

The sail didn't degrade our stability too much on strong crosswinds or rough seas. There were only a couple areas where the sail was lowered, usually off of the Capes in the Gulf due the rough and unpredictable seas common to those areas.

If you like expedition kayak trips, a sail is a very worth while investment.

Jon S I have been looking at the Hobie Island too and would love to hear your remarks about this setup. If you ask me it's sort of like the Batman's utility belt of kayaks. Paddle, sail or use the flipper system. It looks very stable with the outriggers too. Thanks in advance.

Default "Downwind Only"

A loose general rule with monohull sailboats is: The more keel area, the closer to the wind she can sail.
    Without a centerboard or keel of adequate size, the Only way you can sail a kayak is downwind.
    You may be able to lean or brace or dip a paddle to reach a few degrees off of directly downwind (the harder the chines the better), but it won't be long before you start making leeway. Forget tacking. Jibes only.
    An outrigger may help, but not enough to get you tacking.
    For the cost and complexity of a rigid mast/outrigger/daggerboard on a good kayak, you could have a nice little sailboat.

Since you're stuck with downwind sailing, why not a kite? You can safely apply a lot more sail area (power) with a kite fastened forward of the cockpit. It's stowable and simple. You can also paddle and brace without the obstruction of a rigid mast and/or boom or gaff.
    Sure, they have problems of their own, but it's all a compromise.

Good luck

I spent a couple of seasons with a PA sail on my yak and about half of last season with a Hobie A.I. and I would have to agree pretty much with what CPearson and Ishmael said.

You can sail downwind with a sail on probably any yak no problem and with some yaks that track very well you can sail across the wind or upwind (not directly upwind of course) but on most yaks I've seen you need a keel or daggerboard, or the wind is going to push you sideways, not in the direction you want to go, and you definitely want a rudder.

It depends somewhat on the stability of the yak and how big the sail is but, If you're a fisherman especially, and want to troll with the sail etc I would also add amas (outriggers) for stability.

Think about it, you know how easy it is to tip a kayak if you stand up and raise your center of gravity. Now think of how tippy it would be with all that wind force pushing against the sail 6,7,8ft or more above the deck.

You may be able to brace like some have said and counteract it somewhat if your paddle is in hand and you're prepared to brace (it only takes a second for a sudden gust to dump you) but how are you going to fish and brace at the same time? You also need to put the paddle down to make adjustments to the sail etc.

One of the best places I know of to get information on kayak sailing and a whole bunch of other info re kayaking and kayakfishing is JonS's old web site (Kayakfishingstuff.com). I haven't seen much on Alaska there but it is a great website with thousands of posts and when I want to search forums for yakfishing info etc it is the first place and often the only place I need to go.

I love my Hobie A.I.. I've only had it since August but so far, in about 12-15 days on the water I've been able to litteraly fish anywhere and in any conditions I would choose to be on the water and never felt unsafe or questioned whether I would make it safely home or not.

It took some getting used to, learning to fight and land fish around the amas (outriggers) and mast but a lot less than I expected.

I love to troll with it and you can adjust your speed by how much sail you have up (love that roller furling). When I hook a fish I release and furl the sail and then deal with the fish. It takes some coordination but with a little practice it only takes a few seconds and I can't recall losing any fish at all because I had to furl the sail first.

IMO there are still some minor issues Hobie needs to deal with on the A.I. (it's a new design) but overall It's the greatest yak I've ever owned or seen and it's so much fun to sail that even when the fish aren't biting I still have a great time with it.

Brad

Default spirit sails

http://www.spiritsails.com/ This is the best sail that I have erver used on a yak.
    Ted Kennedyís car has killed more people than my gun!

Default WindPaddle Kayak and Canoe Sails

Hello, you might also be interested in the lightest weight sail currently available called the WndPaddle.

http://www.windpaddle.com

Default Best Kite

Nice! bookmarked it! i will check it later. Thanks very much for sharing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast