Thread: New Arctic Cat...need advice

Default New Arctic Cat...need advice

Well, just bought a 'well used' 2005 F7. Has a new motor in it w/600 miles and ~5000 miles on the chassis. Has a damaged hood around the left headlight (bracket broken, left headlight out of machine).

Have heard these F7's have been somewhat likely to have motor problems because of the air intake falling loose and ingesting snow. Any truth to that? Any other problems I might need to address to 'head them off at the pass'?

Also, any areas I need to do a once over on this thing. Last Cat I really rode was an older 580 EXT, so this is a new ball-game for me. BTW, anyone have an F-series hood they're lookin' to shake?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Well, just bought a 'well used' 2005 F7. Has a new motor in it w/600 miles and ~5000 miles on the chassis. Has a damaged hood around the left headlight (bracket broken, left headlight out of machine).

Have heard these F7's have been somewhat likely to have motor problems because of the air intake falling loose and ingesting snow. Any truth to that? Any other problems I might need to address to 'head them off at the pass'?

Also, any areas I need to do a once over on this thing. Last Cat I really rode was an older 580 EXT, so this is a new ball-game for me. BTW, anyone have an F-series hood they're lookin' to shake?
    You have a great machine......The ingestion of powder is unfounded on the Firecat chassis. What you will find is that the filter under the nose cone suffocates the machine if it clogs with powder. If the filter becomes ripped then you can ingest snow.

The year rundown....2003 introduction of the Firecat Chassis....fastest production sled ever built. Had some issues in the midrange being lean.

2004 fatten them up to keep from burning down. Made the 140 horse motor only a 120 horse motor. Per dynometer.......

2005 diamond drive introduction for the Firecat chassis. Watch for oil leakage under the secondary. ECU were refined but still not meeting/beating the '03s. FC chassis being used under the Crossfire and "M" sleds.

2006 more refinements to the Firecats. Last year of Firecat production.

I don't have a hood. I sent you a PM with my number if you are looking for any other help. I can even go over the machine with you. There is a secondary clutch tool that is a must have. Also to change out the belt deflection adjuster.

At one time I had 7 Firecats in the yard. Since have trimmed back the stable and have included the new Twin Spar chassis. I also have the Service manual for Firecats.

Dupont,

Thanks, great info there! My only bummer with this sled so far (spec wise) is the narrow track....likely to trench. Might have to get in touch with you and drag it over so I can learn a thing or two about them, thanks for the offer.

Fastest production sled....I was under impression it was the '99 T-Cat 1000...guess its been trumped.

I have 1 1/2 " or 1 3/4" paddles under all my sleds and they are great boondockers.....just not mountain climbers.

I also run studs........

Its got an 1 3/4" track. Good to hear it might do OK in the deep stuff. Buddy picked it up for me today and said it runs great and is 'very fast'....

Here are a couple of pics out playing. Excuse the no helmet it was a lapse in good judgement that day.

Black widdow! Sweet. Any other pics of the 'ol girl?

Black widdow! Sweet. Any other pics of the 'ol girl?

Here are two more from that day. The one with me off the machine will give you a good idea about how deep the snow really was. The jump picture was us coming off a 7 to 8 foot beaver dam.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    The year rundown....2003 introduction of the Firecat Chassis....fastest production sled ever built.
    That's an awfully big statement, you might want to check the NSSR world speed record. The fastest production sled ever built was a T-Cat.

so was i right?

so was i right?
    I believe it was the 98, but of course all the model years minus the 02 were all near the top

Well, I've polished it up, got a hook on a new cowling, long track skid and track, and I should be in business now!! I'll post pics when I get it all together...