Thread: Jim Teeny fly line....

Default Jim Teeny fly line....

I'm currently using some Teeny T-300 line for reds and silvers, but I'm finding that the sinking head keeps 'cracking' despite my efforts to clean and maintain the line on a regular basis. (Anyone else have this happen?)

I've gone through 3 different spools of Tenny line over the last 4 years. Although Tenny makes some good stuff, I feel like his lines should be a little bit longer lasting.

What do you currently use?

I have had a T-300 for over two years and it looks brand new.

Are you storing it near any heat source? Is it being stored in direct sunlight perhaps? Things like this could break down any fly line over time I would suspect. But other than that, I don't have a clue. The only other thought I would have is if you cleaned the line with an abrasive, perhaps even a 3M pad or something, you might have worn down the outer layer on the fly line. Not sure man.

I have been very impressed with the Teeny lines (and with Jim himself). I sent an email to his website once asking a question about one of the fly lines. Next day, he personally emails me back with a long winded answer. We have communicated via email on several occassions since about float trips. He is not only a great fisherman, he is also a very down to earth and appoachable guy. You just don't see that much these days.

With the problem you speak of, I would shoot him an email and explain what you are seeing.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I can vouch for what Danattherock is saying. Jim’s a personal and close friend of mine and I’m sure if you rang him up he’d ask for a second chance to make it right. Do you actually think there’s a quality issue with the line itself? Or is it in environment issue? God knows I learned the hard way not to spray my hands with bug dope and then handle the line! Ya, I know, it was a rookie move but I didn’t do it again.

Bottom line for me is I think Jim puts out a nice product...so give him a shout. let us know what happens.
    Tim
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Red face

Can't believe this Husky will actually help a Coug ... but I guess I know how bad off you guys are

Try an Air-Flo ... mono core is a little hard to work with for permanent connections, but I find they far outlast the Teeny products.

I also think they are a better casting line and sink rate is typically a little higher as well, so if the T-300 works best for ya, the mid 200's in the Airflo line will fish about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    I can vouch for what Danattherock is saying. Jimís a personal and close friend of mine and Iím sure if you rang him up heíd ask for a second chance to make it right. Do you actually think thereís a quality issue with the line itself? Or is it in environment issue? God knows I learned the hard way not to spray my hands with bug dope and then handle the line! Ya, I know, it was a rookie move but I didnít do it again.

Bottom line for me is I think Jim puts out a nice product...so give him a shout. let us know what happens.
    Tim
    I also think Jim makes good quality products....(that's why I've purchased the same brand 3 times.) Before the line had shown hints of cracking, it was THE best fly-line I've ever used! However, I wasn't sure if it was normal 'wear n tear' or something else. Just curious if anyone else had that same issue.
    (Heck, maybe I've just been 'over cleaning' my lines a little too often. )

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ball - Piscatorial Pursuits View Post
    Can't believe this Husky will actually help a Coug ... but I guess I know how bad off you guys are

Try an Air-Flo ... mono core is a little hard to work with for permanent connections, but I find they far outlast the Teeny products.

I also think they are a better casting line and sink rate is typically a little higher as well, so if the T-300 works best for ya, the mid 200's in the Airflo line will fish about the same.

Thanks a ton Bob, but after watching the last few Apple Cups, I think you guys need a bit more help than we do!

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post

God knows I learned the hard way not to spray my hands with bug dope and then handle the line!

This is a great thought. I have avoided it by using Ultrathon on my hands and face and Ben's elsewhere. That Ben's is some strong stuff. Ruined some sunglasses before I realized how strong it was. I can only imagine what it would do to a fly line. Likely would only take one time for this to happen.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

If you are looking for a new sink tip, I'd much rather have a density compensated one like rio makes. I bet teeny's chuck and duck is perfect for reds though
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.