Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land buyer that could use some advice...

Default Land buyer that could use some advice...

I am planning to purchase some land in the Talkeetna area in late May or early June. My plan is to spend the summer building a small cabin, fishing, and...well that's about it.
    Could someone give me some pointers on picking a good piece of land? This is going to be my first time doing this and I don't want to get burned by buying something I can't build on. What kind of things should I be asking an owner or real estate agent?
    Does anyone have any land buying experience that they would like to share?
    Thanks a million!

The #1 caution is don't by land sight unseen. If you can't afford a trip to visit prospective lots, then you can't afford a lot and to build on it.

I'd be cautious of flood planes, many rivers flood during spring breakup as the ice creates dams. I'd be cautious of perma frost and swampy land. It's possible to mitigate these conditions, but it is much better to avoid them.

Just realize that land that seems like a great deal is often the most expensive land when it comes time to get materials out there to build a cabin, and deal with the land.

If you'll be driving up in the summers to visit, road accessible land that you can park a camper or 5th wheel on can be a quite a bargain over a remote parcel that will take all your fishing time to build and repair a cabin.

Thanks, Paul.
    That's good stuff to know.
    Is early June too late to investigate a property as far as drainage and flooding are concerned?

Not aware of permafrost in the T-keetna area.

But have been wrong before.

It would be very tough to find the land, freight in the materials and build anything in one summer. I would suggest looking at something that is a bit farther along. Such as:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=50274

The tough work is almost done. The rest would easily fill a summer with your labor of love and you might even get a bit of fishing in.

Does the Talkeetna area have good water? How deep?

Default 20 feet

The well we use is 20 feet deep and the water is real good, according to test standards. Even in winter.

Are you looking for land on the road system? Or remote? One thing to remember, most people who build remote spend all winter hauling materials so they can build in the summer. But, you gotta make time to go fishing, no matter how much you think you gotta get done.

Build it right and you won't be spending a lot of time repairing. Over engineer your roof, especially if you will only be there occasionally or on weekends, its not uncommon to get 8 feet of snow or more in the Talkeetna area.

This is all great information. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
    I'm looking for a place without road access, and planning to use an atv to bring supplies in. My plan for this summer is only to build a very basic structure, without electricity or plumbing, as well as a food cache and outhouse.
    If anyone can tell me where to find a good used atv, I would appreciate it.

craigslist
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Yup. I did a quick look through CraigsList for ATV's. I didn't realize that there were so many cheap Chinese machines out there for sale. I can't imagine anyone saying anything good about them...

The swap and sell forum on here has atv's on it pretty regular.
    First you need to decide what type is going to be the best for what you need.

I was thinking a 4x4 with front and rear racks and a hitch. Not sure if I absolutely need a winch, but it's not a bad idea. Do you guys use your atv's in the winter in place of a snow machine?

Default ATV's

Most ATV's won't tow the load that a snow machine will tow in the winter.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

It would be a very hard job to tow in lumber with a atv if the property is remote. If its real remote it would take more time to cut a trail than to build the cabin. You would haft to have a winch. I have had a few people
    i know try it and it didnt work for them. For it to work you would haft to have your property close to a road and where you wouldnt haft to cross any creeks or swamps or big hills to go over. The best way is to use a snowmachine with a freaght sled then if you got some property along the river systems it would be easy. Mines about 60 miles up the yetna river and it has a good trail.
    Dose anyone know of some remote property in the talkeetna area where you dont haft to cross any rivers. Mabe petersville??
    If you check out google earth you could get a good idea where you might want to buy something.
    If you realy do your home work and get the right parsal of land mabe you could do it..

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Also has anyone got any idea's for a freaght trailor for a atv..

I really wouldn't recommend hauling materials in the summer you end up working 5x as hard as you would with a snowmachine plus hauling in the summer destroys atv trails incredibly fast. Not a huge deal if you are the only one using the trail but if you are part of a subdivision, as most of the not to remote parcels around Talkeenta are, the other landowners won't appreciate having their summer access torn up.

If you are just looking for something to get you through this summer until you can get something more substantial put up I would give some thought to wall tents (it'll give you more time to fish!). Alaska tent and tarp has some pretty cool set ups. When building our place I put a 10 man army tent up for the first summer and winter before getting the cabin dried in.

As others have said I would really recommend looking at the property first or getting someone reliable to check it out for you.

If you are going to do it in the summer than I would recommend getting a good wall tent from Alaska Tent and Tarp. Make that your summer cabin. Many people live in wall tents all summer. They are a pleasant summer cabin when set up right.

In most cases it is not practical to haul in building supplies in the summer.

Haul in your building supplies in the winter by snowmachne. March is the best month.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Default Where do you park

your vehicle/s when you are at your remote cabin with no road access or your atv/snowmobile when you go out to civilzation?

Good question. What DO people do with their vehicles while at their remote property? I imagine they leave them at the trailhead or along the side of the road and assume nobody molests them. If I can't leave a vehicle unattended for a few days and trust others to respect my property then what's the point of living there?

Plan on building a shed, that you can stay in, first thing. maybe 8x12ish, something you could build in a week or two. If you wake up already at your site, you'll save alot of time going in and out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast