Thread: Float Hunting Fortymile River

Default Float Hunting Fortymile River

I'm considering a float hunt on the Fortymile. Caribou is primary target; but black and brown bear are also open. Has anyone taken this trip? I hear you can drop in near Joseph landing strip and float the middle fork.
    Some of the posts indicate beautiful scenery but not too much game; but that was in September.
    Alternatively; has anyone put in on the West Fork to the Dennison Fork and take out near Chicken?
    I can't run down to the Yukon and Eagle so that's out. Any help is appreciated.

Default 40 mile

You put in by plane (40 Mile Air) at Josheph which is the middle fork and you float out to the road, its a long float with low animal density, the bou are normally high in the the hills. Depending on your rafting skills there will be some white water, and you will have a good portage at the kink

Smile Dennison

I asked about the trip to Chicken and beyond to a take out at mile 112 of the Taylor. You can access the thread at http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=45974

There is a lot of good information there regarding that float. Hope this helps.

Mike

Default Floating this summer

I will be floating the 40-mile this summer for a vacation. We will not be hunting, just getting away for a while with the whole family. PM me in mid July and I will give you any info I have on the section of river we float.

Get Mike Strahan's (forum owner) book. Titled "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers" it has sections on many, many rivers and I am pretty sure this is one of them. Perhaps shoot Mike a pm to verify this. Great book with tons of info. Anyone floating rivers in Alaska needs this book.

http://www.alaskafloathunting.net/

Also available on the forum store.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 03-31-2009 at 07:46.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Pretty float, but getting any Caribou will be a definate crapshoot. Also a long float that can be challenging as noted.

Default Fortymile River

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Get Mike Strahan's (forum owner) book. Titled "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers" it has sections on many, many rivers and I am pretty sure this is one of them. Perhaps shoot Mike a pm to verify this. Great book with tons of info. Anyone floating rivers in Alaska needs this book.

http://www.alaskafloathunting.net/

Also available on the forum store.
    Hi Dan,

You had the wrong title to the book, so I fixed it for you... Thanks for the plug though; I'm glad you have found it useful!

The Fortymile offers several hunts, but I only wrote about one of them; a bridge-to-bridge hunt, parts of which are very susceptible to low water. It's a complex river system with several forks, and multiple access points. Each fork / float offers something different, and some of them contain some serious whitewater. Some areas of the Fortymile are prone to low water in the fall, so make sure you double and triple-check this or you'll end up dragging your boats for miles. Also access varies considerably from one Fortymile float to another; some can be accessed at either or both ends via the road system (saving tons of money but increasing your chances of encountering other hunters), while others require flyout and offer better isolation. My recommendation to anyone hunting this system is to contact the ADFG office in Fairbanks for the latest on hunting pressure, guide pressure, and game population stats and dynamics. I made a deliberate effort to keep this kind of information out of the float hunting book, because it is highly perishable and must be researched at least every couple of years. Moose, caribou and bear are all available in that country, but quite frankly there are better moose hunts out there now, and the same is true of caribou and bear. It's a very scenic river with great campsite selection and good grayling fishing too. For someone looking for a scenic, relaxing float with potential opportunities for game, the Fortymile could be just the thing. But I would not recommend it for the hardcore hunter looking for multiple opportunities for legal game. The numbers just are not there presently.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay